Looking for suggestions for replacement EL-84's... for my Kingsley D30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sweetpea, Jun 17, 2005.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

.... What are some good current production tubes?
    And lastly, what are some good NOS tubes that will not break the bank? The amp has four JJ EL-84's and they sound nice. Just wondering if there is a better option out there for a reasonable price. I replaced the preamp (JJ's)and reverb tube with NOS telefunkens and it really improved the tone. It would be fun to take it up a notch with the power section.

2. Just1more

Just1more Member

There are some Russian EL84's floating around that are a good sounding tube for reasonable $. There is a guy on the Plexi Palace that sells tubes, and is reliable. His website is www.tubetramp.com

3. sweetpea

I will give him a ring.:)

4. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

I have had good results in my Deluxe 30 with the NOS Tesla EL84s from KCA

5. propska

propska Member

I can only really comment on new production tubes, never really got into the NOS stuff. One of these days I will, but for now new production it is. For el84s, other than the JJs, I'd recommend the EIs. I've played both through a budda sd30 and a Hayseed. I found the JJs to have more bite and attack and they have more clarity than the EIs. The EIs are smoother and warmer to my ears. I actually prefer the EIs in the budda and the JJs in the hayseed. I think it ultimately depends on the amp and the player of course.

6. sweetpea

I just looked into the Tesla's from Mike at KCA and they seem like a real bargain. Sounds like the ticket to me. Thanks for the tip one and all.

54GT,
    What was in your D30 previously and did you notice a substantial difference in tone?

7. BPlexico

BPlexico Member

I got a quartet of the Tesla EL-84s from Mike at KCA for my VOX AC30CC - I am quite pleased with them.

8. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

+1. The NOS Tesla's are great,...I bought a quad from Mike at KCA for my Budda SD30.

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yep, the NOS Tesla EL84s are best deal in NOS EL84s by far.

They've done well in every amp that is capable of using NOS EL84s (nothing can be connected to pin 1 of the EL84 sockets).

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Is the Kingsley as good as the clips??? They sound amazing.... is the overdrive more Marshall, or the Vox blizzard of nails thing??

11. sweetpea

The Kingsley is as good as the clips. Like you I thought the clips were awesome so I ended up buying Simons CD in anticipation of the amp arriving. Simon is a amazing player and alot is in his hands.

Really, really sounds great with a strat! I have yet to try it with eithier a tele or Les Paul but I am sure it would deliver with those guitars as well. It has a really chimmy/glassy tone that never gets icepicky. The low end is awesome and it sustains more than any other amp that I have played. It loves pedals. I have a Blue and G12H30 in a combo form and that is a great combination. As far as the OD, I rarely use that channel. It can sound aggressive, but I prefer to run it on the clean channel with the bright switch engaged at 30watts. I use pedals for overdrive. Its got a really gorgeous clean tone that has to be heard to be appreciated. The strings just feel alive as you play. I think the great tone can be attributed to the combination of the preamp and power stages working together. You can hear it in this amp. It's like everybit of the amp is working together.

12. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Sweetpea,
    I'm really glad you are loving it! It is one of those amps that shows you more, the more you play and tinker with it.

I have recently placed an order with Simon for a head version. After I sold it to you I tried some other amps and came back to the conclusion that the KIngsley is a lot of amp for a lot less money than lots of the other amps out there!!

13. sweetpea

Hey Rich!

Ditto on that comment. The Kingsley is alot of amp for the money. I am actually thinking about purchasing my first telecaster and/or 335 as I think this amp would really accentuate different guitars as it is so detailed. Maybe that's were the dumble comparisons are coming from?

14. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

sweetpea,

I had the stock JJs that Simon shipped with the amp. While not a radical difference, the Teslas did warm up and deepen the tone, particularly on the clean channel. It was noticeable and frankly started to change my attitude toward the amp, which I found a bit cold and midrangy at first.

As others have said, it really is an amp that can do a lot of things but requires you put in some the time to figure that out. or at least that has been my experience with it

Corey

15. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The only guitar that i had problems matching with the Kingsley was my LP, though i believe the newer circuits (say, the last 2 years) have been tweaked to solve that problem. I believe that Rich had your amp tweaked by Simon recently. My 335 and tele sounded terrific with that amp. The tele i expected, but the 335 was a bit of a surprise. Made it sound like an acoustic guitar almost when played clean, and had just the right amount of grit for me when pushed.
    I liked EI's for the amp myself, and put up with the microphonics. If you can find an extra Blue to stick in the amp i think you'll be surprised at how good it will sound.

16. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'll second the recommendation for Terry Kilgore, aka Tube Tramp, re NOS tubes. He knows his stuff, is honest, and sells great tubes at very reasonable prices.

For the last month I've been swapping NOS and ANOS tubes in the preamp and power tube slots, as well as the rectifier. I have NOS Amperex Bugle Boy EL84s and they are a significant improvement over the JJs. He's also got some Russian 7189s that are great too - $50 for a matched quad.

I've got a variety of Amperex, Mullard, GE, & RCA 12AX7s and I've had great fun swapping them in various positions of my Deluxe 32. It's a great tone education to hear the subtle and not so subtle differences when putting various tubes in the different positions. I also put in a Mullard GZ34 rectifier and that was much more to my liking than the JJ. BTW, Simon recommended NOT using a balanced tube for the PI, and sure enough it was a nice improvement.

The bottom line for me is that these old tubes have breathed new life into my Kingsley, to the extent that I doubt I'll ever go back to current production tubes. The improvements were so dramatic that it's almost like having a new amp. The response & feel are way better, and the tones are sweeter and more refined. The OD is on another level.