Looking for THE analog delay.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BMF Effects, Sep 29, 2006.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Suggestions and why. Thanks.

2. opdev

opdev Member

I bought a Maxon AD-9 which alot of folks rave about. It is very good but I can dial in the EXACT sound on my Boss DD-20

3. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Depends on what you want from it.

I'm a blues guy, for me, it dosen't get better than some kind of tube tape unit. I'm just looking for a little slap echo.

I've always liked the somewhat "unreliable" Deluxe Memory Man though.

Maxon's have a good rep as do the old Ibanez's and some people even love the old Boss DM2's and or 3's it depends on what you want your sound to be.

I can't remember if the Echoczar is analog or not, but it's supposed to be incredible if you have the patience to wait for one.

Give me a good tube reverb and a good TTE and I'm good.

4. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Yea, no such thing as "the one". You can only compare those to what you want. You will find TONS of threads on past threads on Analog delays. For some reason, this month has had a bunch of analog delay threads. Try the search function.

5. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

It all depends on what you are looking for,

AD-9 has Slapback Heaven, many country players use it

AD-999 Has Long Delay Times

Moog has even longer delay times, and an FX loop

The Memory Man has the same delay time as the AD-999 but has modulation (I also use it!)

The Echoczar has two delay channels and an optional modulated add-on, but uses newer sounding chips wich sound exceptionally clean for an analog delay

The Memory Lane has an FX loop, tap tempo, modulation, but also uses the same chips as the Echoczar

so basically, what are you looking for?

6. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

uh, you sure about that?

7. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

Comprised of information I've learned while wasting time here...

8. Ed Rembold

Ed Rembold Member

As others have stated- Your needs define what is "best".

Just for clarity-

The Memory Lane is analog, and uses NOS Panasonic MN3005 BBD's.

The echoczar is analog, and uses new production BBD's.

Thanks, Ed R.

9. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

Just curious regarding your "exceptionally clean" assessment: do you state this opinion based on personal experience? I would not describe the sound of my Echoczar as "exceptionally clean," or even "clean."

10. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

nor would I... thats what my 2290 is for! :AOK

11. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Well yeah - what is "the delay"? For me - and I mainly use it as a slapback for rockabilly and sometimes a bit longer for rhythmic stuff - I like the Maxon AD999. For analog it's extremely quiet. It is warm but not muddy. It retains the guitar tone but doesn't interfere with what you're playing unless you want it to. It "sits" well in the mix. It doesn't lower your level like the AD9 does, and keeps all your low-end - heaps of delays suck tone! It's TBP. It works off my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power. And it's pink.

Basically I like the tone and it doesn't mess with what I've spent ages to get sounding good. My ideal delay would pass the direct signal straight through and the only sound that would be affected would be the repeats. The AD999 gets pretty close to that.

Other good delays for me would be DD20, BYOC and Carl Martin Red Repeat. DD20 is under-rated IMHO, BYOC same, and Red Repeat is great on a budget. I really like the Red Repeat except I had to email CM to see if I could mod it to get a quicker delay time out of it because it wouldn't go fast enough for a slapback. To their credit Carl martin came up with a simple remedy - one resistor change - and now I use it a lot. It sounds good and doesn't mess with tone or level. Not quite as warm as the AD999 but not far off!

HTH!

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I like the Deluxe Memory Man. I wouldn't mind having a T-Rex, Memory Lane or EchoCzar, but those are all too expensive for me right now compared to my $150 used DMM... I love the E-H stuff.

13. Medication

Medication Member

The Maxon AD-80. Discontinued, but from what I've heard, it's THE analog delay.

14. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

I have played an Echoczar though a Blackface of some sort and a Strat. It sounded good and analog but in a totaly different way than my Deluxe Memory Man does...different application, I guess.

15. Occam

Occam Member

I've never heard a pedal and I have doubts that one exists that'll make me give up my echoplex (ep-3)....there really is something special about the tape.

16. superunknown

superunknown Member

Rockman Stereo Echo.......

17. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

Quite a bit to choose from depending on your criterion
    Of the few I have experience with:

For Minimal cabbage: Arion SAD-1, MXR 2000 Series Time Delay (both at least as good as a DM-3 and very cheap on ebay)

Vintage late '70s era: Ross Stereo Delay (awesome, but huge and the bypass is terrible)

New: Jacques Prisoner (short delay time but with modulation), EHX DMM (a little noisy but it's legendary), and the Maxon AD-9 (quiter than the DMM and more reserved)

Cabbage Grande: Diamond Memory Lane, Moog Analog Delay (the latter getting about as close to an echoplex - but not quite - as I've heard)
    cheers!

18. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

THE analog delay, huh? When I think of analog delays, I think of murky echoes, a certain amount of warmth/distortion, and the ability to get a pitch-sweep effect by tweaking the delay time knob.

My favorite is still the E-H Deluxe Memory Man. I've always liked being able to dial in a little bit of modulation on the delay time; kind of gives the feeling of a slight wobble in the "tape speed."

The one thing that has turned me off to analog delays is the compander circuit that they have to use to suppress the noise of the BBD chips. There's always a bit of a "thump" that seems to accompany note attack, and it always sounded a bit unnatural to have the noise floor rise and fall with the signal.

My favorite "analog" delay is in fact a digital delay: the Toadworks Redux. It has all of the attributes I love about analog delays (see first paragraph) without the compander artifacts.

19. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

Boss DM-2

I keep coming back to it, and I don't even like delays! :)

20. tedStrange

tedStrange Member

The AD9 with 300ms! also dig the H2O however it is a digital echo with 800ms of delay. My main delay is the TC vintage delay, also digitaly, has 1500ms and a tap tempo.