1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Looking for the best Brown Deluxe Clone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zosozep7, Feb 8, 2019.

1. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Yep, mine arrives Tuesday...
    Great builder.

rollyfoster and JK1965 like this.
  2. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Yep my vote is Jim at Lil Dawg.

He is the tops.

3. stratohiker

stratohiker Member

I'll add a Lil Dawg version comment.
    Had Jim make me a Brown Deluxe chassis. I drop shipped him the Brownface Vibrolux Classic Tone trannys.
    So, mine uses 6L6s/5881s and makes in the 40 watt range. It's housed in a Mather cab.
    Looks authentic, until you look closer (missing some of the pat pending stuff on the plate, and I did a green jewel)
    Punchy, cuts from the stage, more clean headroom available due to the power uptick. And, relatively light, even though I have a G12H Creamback in it.
    I was looking to get a Brown Vibrolux clone done up, when I started but, no direct ways to get a pre-cut chassis and the "real" looking plates to facilitate a close clone of it.
    So, I came up on some pix on Jim's site of a nice looking Deluxe clone......and away I went.
    Love the channel jumping options, the trem, and the tone/power of it.
    No regrets whatsoever.
    And, icing is Jim's prices are very reasonable.

4. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

The one thing I'll say about having owned and played both an Allen and a Lil Dawg is that Allen amps seem to be a tad quieter if that's important to you. All tubes amps can have a little bit of hum/noise of course, but Allen seems to put in some extra work towards making his design quieter (I think it's his choke-filtered power supply that reduces hum). I don't mean that as a slant toward Lil Dawg at all, Jim's builds are fantastically done too and a super nice guy.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  5. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Posted too late at night! :facepalm

Edited - yes, the 6G2 is the Choco Prince!

:dude

stratohiker likes this.
  6. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Not true at all when referring to the Brown channel (6G3 Bright channel) on the Down Brownie.

The Brown channel circuit is completely unaltered when the MV is off, the negative feedback set to 6G3 and the rectifier set to tube. All of the tone shaping mods were intentionally designed to be completely out of the circuit. The integrity of the Bright/Brown channel tone has been confirmed by numerous vintage 6G3 owners.

I mostly use my Down Brownie on the Brown channel with all the mods bypassed. So essentially the unaltered 6G3 tone. But the options are very useful to have, especially the master volume.

As for the Normal channel, it’s pretty well known it was mostly not liked. So Ron moded it. If you actually want the Normal channel you would need to look for an exact clone or original.

I can’t speak for other clone/inspired builds, but for the Down Brownie, none of the added features have resulted in the Brown channel being further away from the Bright channel 6G3 tone.

JK1965 likes this.
  7. stratohiker

stratohiker Member

With my strat and tele I find I need to use the normal 1 and jump to bright 1 or 2 depending to get enuff low end for me.
    Also depends on how much I'm able to turn up for the situation

8. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

I like the normal channel too. I never jumped the channels....

JumpinBradFlash and stratohiker like this.
  9. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Understand.. I guess I’m at a loss for the “pretty well known” part of your post.
    I’ve never heard that the Normal channel was unliked.
    Like I stated, I’m not against or dissing anyone’s build.

JumpinBradFlash and mlj_gear like this.
  10. JK1965

JK1965 Member

Admittedly I haven't played an original 6g3. I have spoken to some who have and it seems the Bright channel was much preferred. I did speak with a guy who has an original or 2 and a Down Brownie. He said that he really likes what Ron did with the normal channel as he never used it much.

In any case its just an opinion. I read on here how "nobody" likes the normal channel on a Deluxe Reverb. I use the normal channel on mine a lot more than the Vibrato channel and for pedals its much better IMO.

Bluzeboy likes this.
  11. JK1965

JK1965 Member

Perhaps you just solved the mystery of Eddie's tone.

After all these years of dissecting it over and over and debating whether his Plexi is modded or not, what if it wasn't a Plexi at all but a 6g3 Brown Deluxe with a little Echoplex and various other effects? ;)

zosozep7, crazyneddie and DiPa like this.
  12. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Man you just sent a great idea, I will hook up my EJ moded Echoplex to my Corduroy which just arrived, one day early, it’s still in the box however as I have a huge project at home which must get done, will open it up later tonight...

13. JK1965

JK1965 Member

Awesome! These Brown Deluxes are so much fun!! Echoplex and treble booster really could get some early EVH tones. Hell just the Echoplex will sound killer.

Looking forward to your NAD thoughts.

crazyneddie likes this.
  14. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Well so funny you say that. I’m playing in a new band, all original rock. Not Vanhalen esque but still big sounding rock. I used this the other night with a Belle Epoch Deluxe for the echo slapback. It was completely arena worthy.

JK1965 likes this.
  15. JK1965

JK1965 Member

I believe you! These amps sound Massive!! Hit em good with some pedals and its roaring vintage Plexi like goodness that's the sound in my head. Mic it and you got that sound.

Never ceases to make me smile.

zosozep7 and crazyneddie like this.
  16. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

The Brown Sound....

QRSS, crazyneddie and AceBSpankin like this.
  17. DV52

DV52 Member

Bet it is a fun amp .

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    JK1965 likes this.
  18. DV52

DV52 Member

The guys that have them sure do talk them up .

QRSS, JK1965 and DiPa like this.
  19. DV52

DV52 Member

Your demos were great .

DC42, JK1965 and Gallery like this.
  20. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Thanks. :beer

I was so focused on everything about making the video except for what I was actually playing that I didn’t realize how boring my playing was. I learned a lot. I hope to make a demo of the Cutthroat Penguin when it gets here. That’s his Brown Princeton clone.