looking for Tweed-like mids from '67 Blackface

scott1568

Hey all,

This is what I have:

-'67 Bassman head modified to hybrid AB165 / AA864 done by Andrews Amp Lab

-Freda "Mule" cab converted to partial closed back, floating 1/2" baffle with a 10" Weber Alnico Blue and a 12" Weber Alnico Silver

-Overdrive- modified Brown Sound in A Box so it does the lower gain thing

-Echo, Trem, Roland Echo Preamp pedal, etc

I am not hating my tone, but I am obsessed with the Tweed Deluxe sound. I want to build a 5E3 x 2 head, but funds won't allow right now. I want that kind of grind and mids - kind loose and greasy. I am not looking for the Tube Screamer sound right now.

Should I try the Lovepedal Les Luis? Can it do lower gain OK or is the Neil Young-type setting the best this pedal will do?

Any other suggestions?

thanks!

cameron

Mod the Bass Instrument channel so that the Deep switch completely removes the Tone control from the circuit.

You'll get lots more gain and all the mids come back.

It'll be a really raw sound, and perhaps the gain will be too much for you. If the gain is too much for your musical context, try a lower gain first preamp tube (12AY7 - or something even mellower) in that Bass channel.

scott1568

Mod the Bass Instrument channel so that the Deep switch completely removes the Tone control from the circuit.

You'll get lots more gain and all the mids come back.

It'll be a really raw sound, and perhaps the gain will be too much for you. If the gain is too much for your musical context, try a lower gain first preamp tube (12AY7 - or something even mellower) in that Bass channel.
Thanks Cameron. Can you elaborate? I am handy with a soldering iron, know how to discharge caps, etc. Is there a layout for this mod in the internet somewhere?

thanks

Trending Topics