1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for unique designs

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Occam, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Occam

Occam Member

I love classic shapes and styles but honestly if I'm going to spend big dollars on a boutique guitar I'd like it to have it's own personality....so what are some of your favorite small builders that are coming up with their own shapes and designs?

2. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

3. JPF

JPF Member

[​IMG]

Ulrich Teuffel is designing some wild stuff in Germany. He let me play and compare a number of them - I've never played a guitar with so immediate and crisp an attack, yet so flexible in terms of switching combinations of tonewood bars, pickups, and placement. His artisrty can be found

Great stuff:dudehere

4. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Koll & Reverend come to mind.

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

6. dirk nixon

dirk nixon Member

Chapin? All I've ever seen are Strat's and Tele's. What other shapes does he have?

Saul Koll - Glide
    Driskill - Diablo
    MotorAve - McQueen
    McInturff - Terrycaster

7. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Those are 4 great choices.

Now if you want unique and under $600 with gig bag and killer tones and playability, Reverend. :dude

[​IMG]

9. DLDTEX

DLDTEX Member

These are built like none I have seen, hand crafted to the last detail. A neck the demands hours of playing. Tone that keeps the fire alive. Here are pics of my saturn Deluxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Bill's got a couple of original designs going. He's actually going to stop making S and T style very soon. The Hawk and Devil Dog are quite unique and lead to different percieved tones than the S and T style. Havent seen a Devil Dog up close yet, but the hawk is a nice twist on a Tele influenced Axe. Very cool guitars, and Bill is really a master at getting great tones, and many of them out of designs that look like they should fit a certain niche, but are more versitile than you would think.

I also think Driskill has a very unique look, as well as Koll, Soloway, McInturf and Mc Naught. I am very fond of Ron Thorn's designs, although a bit more traditional looking.

It is really a great time to be a guitar player, as there are so many options for a remarkable instrument to really fulfull your needs and dreams.

11. dirk nixon

dirk nixon Member

I reckon the Stevens LJ oughta do ya.

[​IMG]

12. DLDTEX

DLDTEX Member

I have had PRS CE's, Custom 22's, McCarty's, Single Cuts, Baker B1's and B1C's. I don't have them anymore and I aslo got rid of a few Tylers. Another guitar worth mentioning but similar to a strat like guitar. Looks are looks but it is third to sound and playability. Tyler and Briggs are the only thing I am going to play because they take care of the details.
    James Tyler has a few folks working for him but Jack does everything by himself and he will exchange emails with you also.

13. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I played a Teuffel exactly like that one at Philster's house on Saturday. What a cool guitar! The ultimate traveler. Chapins Devil Dog is a very cool design and scale. Can't wait to check out a finished one. Saul Koll is a man with a cool retro
    design flair I really admire. Jim Soloway designed a long scale guitar that sings like a bird and is light as feather. A buddy has one of the Klein flying kidneys that is a joy to play. There are hundreds of cool designs that mix a lot of function with avant garde form.

14. matte

matte Senior Member

Mike is an unbelievable luthier. I've had several of his guitars and they were all killing. These days I'm all about Johan Gustavsson. My Bruisemonster covers all the ground I need to cover in a guitfiddle. Trem, Strat control layout, Lester materials and construction, 25" scale length.

15. blair

blair Member

I don't know anything about them but the Spalt's are gorgeous and very unique and intriging. Here's the site: www.totemguitars.com and look at the Hybrid's and Customs. Nice lookin' stuff. If they play like they look it could be 'wicked' in a good way!

I'd be very happy with a Heatley Quilt Hollowbody Traditional but, when finances allow. Two hurricanes here in DeLand FL in three weeks have waxed my new geetar fund! Grrrr.........

Hammer on.........Blair

16. dirk nixon

dirk nixon Member

I'd never heard of Fano Guitars until Splatt's post. They have quite a few cool designs. I like this one a lot.

[​IMG]

17. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Driskill yet! :confused:

It is nice to see some new axes I've never run across before, though. This isn't my thread, but keep 'em coming!

18. big mike

Read closer grasshopper. Joe's work is included. Just haven't posted a pic.

19. big mike

Here ya go. My fav. on Joe's site:

[​IMG]

20. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

Whoops. :eek: That's what I get for speed reading the posts. :)

Nice axe. Joe seems to have a way with really intense finish colors.