Looking for very organic and warm low volume Blues amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Gonzo, May 10, 2005.

1. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking for a low volume amp (under 20 watts and lower) that has the most organic, warm, bluesy sound possible. I'm trying to avoid a preamp gain sound, too much bite, or any other artifacts in the sound. Basically I just want it to sound like you're plugging into the tubes. A pure blues tone, if you will, as I'm looking for distortion. I'm leaning toward an Alessandro Black n' Tan, or maybe a Siegmund Midnight Special. I already have an Alessandro English, though, and am worried a Black n' Tan would be too close to the sound of the English. Any suggestions?

Gonzo

2. Bearded

Bearded Member

Carmen Ghia. Two Rock Ruby 12/18. Bogner Metropolis.

3. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I was about to suggest the Beagle until I got the Allessandro part. I've spoken to George and he says the BnT is pretty different from the Beagle/English sounds. I want one myself. I'd say get the BnT. I can't image something being more plugged into the tubes than an Allie.

cmn

4. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

I owned a TR Ruby 18/12 for a while and would not recommend that to meet your expressed desires Gonzo..its a high gain machine IMHO and lacks the clarity and definition I think you are looking for...I found it hard to get a crisp blues tone out of the amp.

What I recommend to you is the Nick Greer Underdog 15 with his Mod 1. Its a tweed deluxe clone with LOTS of mojo. Ask Scott and Woodshed Guitars. He had my old one for a while, maybe stills does. It was a fantastic blues amp and has wow'ed everyone who has heard it. I probably should have ket it but you know how the gear craze goes...

Carl

5. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

I've got a Two Rock Ruby 35, actually. I love the tones from it. Great Trainwreck Express, and VERY sweet bluesy Dumblish tones when the master volume is involved. Actually, the bluesy Dumblish tones are pretty close to perfection in what I'm looking for. However, I'm looking for something a little bit more like an overdriven Deluxe than a Dumble. A little more small amp output tube OD thing, and as warm and organic as possible, if that makes sense.

For tonal reference points, say the tones on the Mark Knopfler "Shangri-la" album and the sound clips of the Komet 60, especially the 335 clips. I know that Knopfler used a Komet 60 and a Fender Tweed Deluxe on that album. Since I want to crank this amp up at low volumes, I was kinda ruling out the Komet 60. I was hoping that the Alessandro Black n Tan or the Siegmund would give me that tube swapping, bluesy goodness at low volumes--a low volume Komet 60 if you will.

Gonzo

6. Glaze

Glaze Member

Gonzo

Fender Tweed Champ would be perfect. Find a 50's original, a Clark or a Victoria copy. When it comes to Tweeds my favorite is the Bassman, but those little Champs are cool.

Mike

7. voxworld

voxworld Member

Harmony combos with 1x12 and 2 6V6's are excellent soundiong amps, very overlooked. And can be had for really great prices.

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

30 Watt Bogner Metropolis Reverb with an attenuator? I'd guess the 15 Watt version but I have never played one.

9. gep

gep Supporting Member

The Gries 2-6v6 amp w/reverb and master control has great blackface sounds. Great for blues.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

You might like the Midnight Special. I had one for a while and indeed, it is a warm bluesy sounding amp, esp with 5Y3 rectifier & 6V6 power tube.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

Clark Lil Bit LTD.

with only 6 watts to its name, i cant get over how incredible this little guy sounds night after night. cleans are lush and sweet, while the overdrive just kicks into some raunchy yet fun territory.

mine came preloaded with a Red Fang, but swapping over to a Celestion Blue really brought out a rounder sweetness that i just cant get over.

http://www.clarkamplification.com/premuimtweedreplicas.htm[​IMG]

the black 'n tan's another great amp, but honestly, i say go for something a bit different. :p but if you want a plexi like raunch meets a vocally voxy like upper mid, cant go wrong with the BnT. loved mine soo much, went with its bigger bro, the Blue Tick for my higher powered gigs.

12. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

13. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Bruno UG 15. (2 EL84s)

14. Timster

Timster Member

Star Nova
    Pro Junior

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Point Blank Tweed 1x12. Fits all your criteria. Warm, bluesy, low volume. Nice breakup at reasonable volumes.

16. JonF

JonF Member

I agree! I have a little 1x10 with a single 6v6 that is a little tone machine!

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Beagle...

It is an awesome amp...! :dude :dude :dude

It's really nothing like the English, and is my favorite of George's amps (I have both a low-end Beagle and a high-end English)...

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Allessandro Plotthound (just to get them all in) or Tweed Deluxe - I believe you have already answered your own question. I like Jokerjkny's "Blue Tick" a lot too.

Best, Pete.

19. Blueser

Blueser Member

Anyone know the difference between the Greer Underdog 15, and the Mod 1 version?

20. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Dr Z Z28 seems to fit your requirements quite nicely.