• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Looking for vintage tone, in a modern guitar?

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
Just saw the thread for a really excellent example of a late 50s burst Gibson LP, recently built.

Which added fuel to my already buring fire, to find vintage tone. Specifically "Burst tone" (We've already done this thread on the tone before, now I'm looking for a source!) and secondarily, a great pre-CBS strat tone. Really like the slab BRW board/Ash bodied tones of the late 50s. But realistically, the prices of the real deal is beyond anything my SO would stand. Maybe if I live longer...:huh

Do not care if the guitar looks like an LP or a strat!

Definately don't need it to look aged.

Been looking at converted/combo'd guitars that have vintage parts from separate guitars/years as a more affordable alternative. (Still pricy, but less than a Gustavsson or Yaron build, in some cases.)

However, what I'd really like to find is a modern builder who can create such an instument.

Terry's Carolina Customs, I hear, come mighty close? Also understand Yaron is very good, but a bit pricy (well not compared to the real deal).

Any others?

All suggestions appreciated!

(Am about to sell ten or so guitars, mostly Gibsons, but a couple of boutiques may also go, to fund this venture, so I'm serious.)

Thanks,
Artguy47

Last edited:
For your Pre-CBS tones go with Chad Underwood his guitars are amazing another would be Pete Skermetta i like his snakehead line (fender did that style for a short period of time in the 70's) Both of these builders are no bells and whistles you just play them and think this is how a pre-cbs strat/tele should sound... I also love Suhr guitars and with john having worked for the fender CS for years he has addressed a lot of issues others have not and made his instruments very easy to play...

For your Gibson PAF tone the one that i pick up and think this is how a les paul should have been built and there are vast improvements while still retaining the impeccable craftsmanship are another North Carolina builder (DTM) McNaught guitars. (he also does strat, V and PRS shapes)

I like Suhr and Stephen Design Pickups i don't think the tone gets any better pickup wise.

Here are some builders that i like. Suhr, Mcnaught, Anderson, Chad Underwood, Tyler, Asher (Marc Ford Model is Amazing it is a combo of a strat & LP Jr.), Vigier (not so classic).

Best of luck in your quest for a quality instrument,

Will

Lambone

Pretty darn satisfied with my Gil Yaron LP. And I traded a vintage Strat for it. Guitar looks and sounds vintage but is more playable without the worry of replacing worn out frets.

AJ Love

Vintage tone? There is a reason that Ron Ellis pickups are backordered as far as they are....

pirateflynn

Silver Supporting Member
The guitars you already own are as good or better than the ones used by the musicians responsible for creating the tones that are in your head. Now, it's just time to play.

e-z

The guitars you already own are as good or better than the ones used by the musicians responsible for creating the tones that are in your head. Now, it's just time to play.

I agree with pirateflynn. Sell off what you don't use and make some music with what you have.

Gravelrocks

Silver Supporting Member
Ken McKay at Up North Strings in Michigan will build you an incredible Les Paul replica. They resonate in a much different way than any Gibson Historic I've played. I'd recomend supplying a set of Rolph 59' Pretenders, and you'll have just about the best Les Paul money can buy, short of 50's conversions (P90 LP's to PAF, which still cost a huge pile of money).

nowgibson

You can have inspired playing on almost any off the rack guitar but you can certainly be inspired by a great guitar. Good Luck and been looking at Ian Anderson's threads here.

RyanC.

Silver Supporting Member

That's exactly the conclusion I came to as well... right after I sold many 50's Gibsons, multiple replicas (including a Yaron), and purchased a used McInturff Carolina Custom.

Good luck on your search.

:rockin

mgrier1

I agree with pirateflynn. Sell off what you don't use and make some music with what you have.

OP, your answer lies somewhere in the quotes above. These are wise individuals...

I have followed the path of chasing the boutique builder trail and certainly (on the whole) the builds are of higher build quality than the Big 'G' and Big 'F' brands we all grew up with (there are exceptions to both sides, of course).

In taking care of such a large stable of boutiques, what I found was that I was fussing over tiny details that ultimately detracted from my playing and advancing my capabilities on/around the instrument. When I lived in Santa Fe, NM, I had to "water" the guitars daily whether I played them or not! (fill in-case and room humidifiers, etc). Tail wagging the dog.

Believe me when I say, I have owned them all: Gus, Briggs, Probett, Thorn, etc. All the big guns. Loved and enjoyed them (some, I still do). The big realization/awareness took place for me, when I started recording things in my studio some years ago. Wonder of wonders, the really cool boutiques sounded just like the Gibson R9 and the Fender RI 57 Strat on tape (DAW) - gasp! :omg And, I'm talking through Brauner VMA mics>Great River Preamps>Forssell ADC's - best of the best, arguably, in studio gear.

Point is this: you want to collect guitars - go for it! I love nothing more, myself sometimes... You want to play out and record?: Figure out what you need and what works and roll with it. Let the rest of it go and get 6 or 8 keepers and a few nice amps and make sounds and capture them! Maybe even turn those sounds into songs!

After kicking around these forums for better part of a decade (some of them, anyway), I see many gals/guys roll in get excited, and take the log flume ride: Bust out the checkbook, get places in build queues, talk it all up - post count swell to 3000 in less than a year... Collection goes from one old American Strat they had since high school prom days and pump it up to 20 boutiques... (Been there myself, to some extent - not pointing fingers).

But you can see it coming: the head in the hands, late night bleary eyed staring at the laptop screen, wondering, "what am I doing?!?" :bonk:huh

My advice: figure out what kind of sound you seek to create. Are you creating a reference tone library for old guitar sounds of the 50's and 60's? Then you'll need to seek out all kinds of esoterica to get that done. Writing original songs and compositions? Then figure out 4 to 6 machines that get that sound you have in your head and roll tape!

Good luck on the journey! Again, just some comments that may or may not be relevant to the OP - not an editorial on anyone in particular... Meant in best spirit! :JAM

My Best,

Mike

P.S. Regardless of the above screed, for the specific mission you state in the OP, I'd find an appropriate Chad Underwood...

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
OP, your answer lies somewhere in the quotes above. These are wise individuals...

I have followed the path of chasing the boutique builder trail and certainly (on the whole) the builds are of higher build quality than the Big 'G' and Big 'F' brands we all grew up with (there are exceptions to both sides, of course).

In taking care of such a large stable of boutiques, what I found was that I was fussing over tiny details that ultimately detracted from my playing and advancing my capabilities on/around the instrument. When I lived in Santa Fe, NM, I had to "water" the guitars daily whether I played them or not! (fill in-case and room humidifiers, etc). Tail wagging the dog.

Believe me when I say, I have owned them all: Gus, Briggs, Probett, Thorn, etc. All the big guns. Loved and enjoyed them (some, I still do). The big realization/awareness took place for me, when I started recording things in my studio some years ago. Wonder of wonders, the really cool boutiques sounded just like the Gibson R9 and the Fender RI 57 Strat on tape (DAW) - gasp! :omg And, I'm talking through Brauner VMA mics>Great River Preamps>Forssell ADC's - best of the best, arguably, in studio gear.

Point is this: you want to collect guitars - go for it! I love nothing more, myself sometimes... You want to play out and record?: Figure out what you need and what works and roll with it. Let the rest of it go and get 6 or 8 keepers and a few nice amps and make sounds and capture them! Maybe even turn those sounds into songs!

After kicking around these forums for better part of a decade (some of them, anyway), I see many gals/guys roll in get excited, and take the log flume ride: Bust out the checkbook, get places in build queues, talk it all up - post count swell to 3000 in less than a year... Collection goes from one old American Strat they had since high school prom days and pump it up to 20 boutiques... (Been there myself, to some extent - not pointing fingers).

But you can see it coming: the head in the hands, late night bleary eyed staring at the laptop screen, wondering, "what am I doing?!?" :bonk:huh

My advice: figure out what kind of sound you seek to create. Are you creating a reference tone library for old guitar sounds of the 50's and 60's? Then you'll need to seek out all kinds of esoterica to get that done. Writing original songs and compositions? Then figure out 4 to 6 machines that get that sound you have in your head and roll tape!

Good luck on the journey! Again, just some comments that may or may not be relevant to the OP - not an editorial on anyone in particular... Meant in best spirit! :JAM

My Best,

Mike

P.S. Regardless of the above screed, for the specific mission you state in the OP, I'd find an appropriate Chad Underwood...

Well said sir, well said...........;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom