looking into compression ? Dbx vs mxr...

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by murph7489, Dec 27, 2017.

1. murph7489

murph7489 Member

So basically, I am looking to get compression, and I have never used one so I was listening to the MXR m87 sounded good and I liked it, then I saw DBX 160 x racks and 160A, 160XL etc. So I am wondering if the rack is a better way to go. The MXR seemed to brighten the sound of the bass make it more punchy...while I don't know if the dbx will do that...

Does anyone have any experience with this? any input will be appreciated...thanks

2. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

I wouldn't play without a dbx but don't listen to me.

3. Khromo

Khromo Supporting Member

There are some startlingly good pedal compressors available these days. I have one "always on", most of the time (?!?!).

Getting a really heavy squash might be easier and/or sound better with a more flexible rack mount, or a knob-heavy pedal, but most guys won't want that sound, so they can do very well with a more streamlined device.

A whole lotta guys will grossly overdo the compressor when they first start using it. Be very careful with the ratio when you get started. If the compression is obvious, you will probably be happier if you turn it down! Don't feel like you have to "get your money's worth" out of the device by getting that really obvious squash happening. You can lose your job that way!

For live music, a good pedal, like a Keeley, Empress, or a Diamond, does a fantastic job once you learn how to dial it in. For recording, a rack-mount might offer more options, but I don't see so many guys using them any more.

If you are looking "to brighten the sound of the bass make it more punchy..." the Diamond might be worth trying. It sounds great and it is easy to dial in.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Aphex compressors are what I used back in the day when I used compressors.

5. somedude

somedude Member

If my head was rack mounted and I didn't use a pedalboard I'd get a rack mount compressor and tuner.

If my head was in a headshell and I used a pedalboard I'd get a pedal compressor and tuner.

If I used a rack and a pedalboard... I'm not sure what I'd do.

6. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I'm a bass player. I don't use a compressor. When I did a long time ago I used an Aguilar TLC.

That link up there to Ovnilab is very thorough.