Looking to add a combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by xrleroyx, Jan 27, 2015.

1. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

Hello!

Looking to add a combo amp to my stable. I currently have just one amp/cab setup: a Verellen Skyhammer and an old Orange 4x12. LOVE the sounds I get from that setup! It's been modded to have one less gain stage than their stock model. There is a drawback though...

That Orange 4x12 is MASSIVE. WAY overkill. It barely fits in my VW. I don't want to get rid of it, because we're likely to be renting a practice space where I can leave it. I also just love how it looks and sounds.

It's tax return season, and I should be getting a fairly nice return. I'd like to add a combo amp. I play with a lot of pedals, but wouldn't mind the combo amp to have a gain channel.

I'd ideally like a 1x12 or a 2x10, but I'd go with a 2x12 as well. No larger. Max budget is probably $700, but I'd like to keep it below that if at all possible.

I play with single coil equipped guitars using various fuzz pedals. Any suggestions would be great :horse

2. gregsguitars

gregsguitars Member

You should with a little looking be able to score a Silverface Twin in that pricerange....

3. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

Great amps, and I've had a silverface before - I'm just looking for a little more portability for practice and the apartment. I have the luxury of being able to play at moderate volumes at home, but the Skyhammer is 100 watts pushing a 4x12.

4. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

Check out E-Bay for an old Ampeg Gemini 1 (Model G-12). Serious vintage tone in your price range.

5. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

What kind of wattage/volume are you looking to have? Hard to beat an AC30 (used), which can be found around 700 bucks.

6. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Blackstar Club 40. 40 watt 1x12, excellent cleans and smooth gain channel. Expensive-looking build quality. $700 new.

Or of course a Bugera V22. It's amazing for $390. It's amazing for $900 actually, but it only costs 390.
    You know, a used Deluxe Reverb Reissue are maybe under $700 also. I'm not sure they're better than the Blackstar though, and honestly the Bugera.

7. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Fender Prosonic. 2x10 combo, 2 channel that has 2 very useable channels. The gain channel is awesome, and the clean channel is great for pedals if that is how you roll......VERY versatile amp due to the 3 way rectifier switch (30 watt tube rectified class A / 50 watt tube rectified class AB / 60 watt SS rectified class AB). They are a Bruce Zinky design and even tho they do have PCBs, they are mostly handwired, if that matters to you. Pretty easy to find one under $700. Not super heavy either. I love mine so much that I got another one last month, a head. Very under-rated amp IMO.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

If you like your current amp why not just get a more VW friendly 2x12?

9. wbm68

wbm68 Member

How about getting an Avatar 1x12 or 2x12 cab. That takes off the load and you can keep your sound. I see a lot of people now using two 1x12 cabs. That way you can go from small (bring 1) to medium (bring 2) to large (your Orange). Boogie and Bogner make excellent small 1x12 cabs. Just get two of those, or of course Avatar.
    If you want a portable combo amp, get a used Fender Deluxe Reverb and use your pedals on the normal channel.

10. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Used Orange Rocker 30

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

:agree

I love the Prosonic combo. Have two of them.

Great amp and it takes pedals very well! :aok

12. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
  13. texstrat

texstrat Member

A fender style combo would go great with your current amp. Find a good blackface or early 70's Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux. If you like more power than look at twin or super reverbs. My favorite is the Deluxe Reverb, perfect power level for me.

14. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

What about an AC15?

Otherwise I agree re the Fender combo. A Princeton, Deluxe or Vibrolux.