• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Looking to Assemble a Small Pedal Board as a Back Up Rig or Something to take to a Jam for Rehearsal

Slaphappy

Need clean tones, overdriven and metal tones. I have a small Peavey 80's something combo but was think of using Seymour Duncan Powerstage or something similar to push it all thru a 2 X 12 or 1 X 12.

Can someone point me in the right direction with a complete list. I've always used the amp tones for clean and overdriven and never used pedals for tones mainly just used wahs and chorus type effects pedals.

interested in delay and other pedal I may need also for a cover type band setting.

billbfoot

Gold Supporting Member
Need clean tones, overdriven and metal tones. I have a small Peavey 80's something combo but was think of using Seymour Duncan Powerstage or something similar to push it all thru a 2 X 12 or 1 X 12.

Can someone point me in the right direction with a complete list. I've always used the amp tones for clean and overdriven and never used pedals for tones mainly just used wahs and chorus type effects pedals.

interested in delay and other pedal I may need also for a cover type band setting.
Hi… so just so I’m clear on what you’re asking for…

You’re wanting a “complete” list of pedal options to help you get clean, overdriven, and even metal-type guitar sounds and tones, and in a way that allows you to rely more on the pedals (and not your pushed or overdriven amp) for such sounds and tones? And you’re also looking for ideas for delays and any other pedals that you might want/need for playing in a cover band?

This might be an understatement, but it seems like you’re casting a pretty wide net. Like, ummmm… huge. Not sure how or where I would start in giving you some solid ideas that might be more likely to be fruitful as well as satisfactory to you, given the limited context. And maybe that’s your dilemma as well… you don’t quite know where to start, perhaps? Not sure.

A quick check of your profile leads me to the fact that you’ve been a member here on TGP for almost 19 years. That said, may I ask what ideas you have so far? What research have you done, and what have you come up with so far?

I’d like to be helpful and offer some suggestions, but given your incredibly tall order, yet with very little additional info and context, I’m not quite sure where to begin.

Not trying to be an a$$, but can you throw us a line? Maybe give us a bit more info? Otherwise, you may end up with folks blindly throwing darts in every direction, possibly resulting in a list of a ba-jillion suggestions and ideas. Happy to try to be helpful, but it would also be good to know what you’ve done up to this point in looking into all of this… as well as what you’ve come up with so far. Or are you totally starting from scratch? If so, then just be forewarned that you may be perceived by others as relying on others to do what seems to be a ton of work, when maybe there are things you can do, at least initially, in conducting some early research, narrowing your focus and potential options, and starting to put together some potentially good ideas. Of course, posting a shout-out on the effects forum on TGP is one good step. But what else you got?

And also, be prepared for a few MZ suggestions.:oops:

philamag87

Gold Supporting Member
Like billbfoot said above, we might need more info on what you are exactly looking for. That said, here's some ideas:

Boss Metal Zone Waza Craft for metal tones.

Any of Tubescreamer variants or Klon clones for OD. Look for one with three band EQ. I use the Way Huge Green Rhino MKII but they have the MKIV and MKV you could try. The Wampler Tumnus Deluxe for a Klon clone.

A compressor to help with cleans. I recommend the Keeley Compressor Plus.

Any of the hundreds of delay pedals for ambiance. All depends on how much delay you need. I use the TC Electronics Flashback x4. The MXR Carbon Copy or Boss DM-2 Waza Craft would be a good choice for standard delay tones.

Slaphappy

Hi… so just so I’m clear on what you’re asking for…

You’re wanting a “complete” list of pedal options to help you get clean, overdriven, and even metal-type guitar sounds and tones, and in a way that allows you to rely more on the pedals (and not your pushed or overdriven amp) for such sounds and tones? And you’re also looking for ideas for delays and any other pedals that you might want/need for playing in a cover band?

This might be an understatement, but it seems like you’re casting a pretty wide net. Like, ummmm… huge. Not sure how or where I would start in giving you some solid ideas that might be more likely to be fruitful as well as satisfactory to you, given the limited context. And maybe that’s your dilemma as well… you don’t quite know where to start, perhaps? Not sure.

A quick check of your profile leads me to the fact that you’ve been a member here on TGP for almost 19 years. That said, may I ask what ideas you have so far? What research have you done, and what have you come up with so far?

I’d like to be helpful and offer some suggestions, but given your incredibly tall order, yet with very little additional info and context, I’m not quite sure where to begin.

Not trying to be an a$$, but can you throw us a line? Maybe give us a bit more info? Otherwise, you may end up with folks blindly throwing darts in every direction, possibly resulting in a list of a ba-jillion suggestions and ideas. Happy to try to be helpful, but it would also be good to know what you’ve done up to this point in looking into all of this… as well as what you’ve come up with so far. Or are you totally starting from scratch? If so, then just be forewarned that you may be perceived by others as relying on others to do what seems to be a ton of work, when maybe there are things you can do, at least initially, in conducting some early research, narrowing your focus and potential options, and starting to put together some potentially good ideas. Of course, posting a shout-out on the effects forum on TGP is one good step. But what else you got?

And also, be prepared for a few MZ suggestions.:oops:
I've been using a Kemper rack and wanted a back up rig or quick pick up and go rig for whatever setting without dragging the rack or to leave at band rehearsal. Was thinking of a HX stomp going into a power block but when looking at that set up a lot of people use a lot of pedals with the HX so I don't believe I want to spend the cash on a HX if I still need pedals to support it.

I thought people would have already been down this road and would be able to list their pedal boards for similar situations.....maybe not

billbfoot

Gold Supporting Member
I've been using a Kemper rack and wanted a back up rig or quick pick up and go rig for whatever setting without dragging the rack or to leave at band rehearsal. Was thinking of a HX stomp going into a power block but when looking at that set up a lot of people use a lot of pedals with the HX so I don't believe I want to spend the cash on a HX if I still need pedals to support it.

I thought people would have already been down this road and would be able to list their pedal boards for similar situations.....maybe not
No, that’s actually very helpful info to have. That’s for providing that additional bit of context.

Honestly, and IMO, you couldn’t do much better than going with @philamag87’s suggestions. They cover a lot of ground, especially in terms of what you seem to be seeking. All of those few suggestions are tried-and-true go-to’s, offer a good degree of depth amd versatility, and provide a substantial foundation but in a simple, minimalist sort of way. Throw those and a tuner on a small board, and you’ve got you a good grab-n-go board for rehearsals and small, casual gigs.

And if you’re trying to keep things simple (and involve minimal set-up and strike-down), then why not see how things go with your new grab-n-go board and your Peavey combo amp that you already have… before going out and getting a cabinet and something for power (you mentioned the SD PowerStage). You’d probably also need to get something to serve as a preamp (or, at least, some sort of preamp sim). But… if you’re wanting to move on from your older, small Peavey amp, then you might consider upgrading to a decent, “pedal platform”-type combo amp. A good, solid, 1x12 combo might involve some weight, but at least it’s all-in-one and doesn’t involve putting together preamp/power/cab components.

Slaphappy

No, that’s actually very helpful info to have. That’s for providing that additional bit of context.

Honestly, and IMO, you couldn’t do much better than going with @philamag87’s suggestions. They cover a lot of ground, especially in terms of what you seem to be seeking. All of those few suggestions are tried-and-true go-to’s, offer a good degree of depth amd versatility, and provide a substantial foundation but in a simple, minimalist sort of way. Throw those and a tuner on a small board, and you’ve got you a good grab-n-go board for rehearsals and small, casual gigs.

And if you’re trying to keep things simple (and involve minimal set-up and strike-down), then why not see how things go with your new grab-n-go board and your Peavey combo amp that you already have… before going out and getting a cabinet and something for power (you mentioned the SD PowerStage). You’d probably also need to get something to serve as a preamp (or, at least, some sort of preamp sim). But… if you’re wanting to move on from your older, small Peavey amp, then you might consider upgrading to a decent, “pedal platform”-type combo amp. A good, solid, 1x12 combo might involve some weight, but at least it’s all-in-one and doesn’t involve putting together preamp/power/cab components.
The Peavey combo amp doesn't cut it by it's self at least not something I'd want to use as a back up for a gig. At least with something like a PowerStage is small and a few pedals I could carry with me and could get me through the night if the Kemper were to go down as it has before.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom