Looking to buy a used Gibson Custom Shop LP - any advice on what years to look at?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Krisgel, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Krisgel

Krisgel Member

I am thinking that I want something that is 10 years old or less. Are there certain years or a group of years that the quality is better?

I am looking for a gold top or lemon burst with a 57 - 59 style build.

Thanks.

2. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I like the specs for the 2013-2014 guitars.

There are good ones, great ones, and not so great ones from every year though.

2012 has a laminated RW fingerboard. Some say stay away from those, some say that they are the best deals because people are staying away from them.

Good luck with the search! There's a glut of used Historic Les Pauls on the market.

3. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Well, I''d say you will pay more for a 2013-2014..supposed upgrades as per internet "wisdom".

I opted for a 2005 R8 I found on CL which seems like a great LP to me. And was minty and cheap..not a bad thing.

Every one is different irregardless of the year.

Really your level of cork sniffery comes into play. If you are flexible it can help..your price range is also a big factor.

4. Krisgel

Krisgel Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The most I could spend is $3750, but it would be great if I can spend less by getting something in the early to mid 2000's if it turns out that they are just as good as 2013 - 2014.

5. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Unless you have the ears of a Labrador Retriever (one of Ron Kirn's lines) you should not notice a difference in "tone". Lots of other variables..good examples from all eras..

And the older ones may be made from more traditional wood sources (newer ones have mahogany from Fiji)..not that it matters as I said..but you can save a bundle with an older one and that may give you some comfort when you want to wring your hands over not having all those great features started in later years. Smoke and mirrors to me.

Best thing would be to try a bunch..may be difficult for you depending.

6. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

2007s are kinda known, but you can find great guitars from any year.

7. Chadjohneto

Chadjohneto Supporting Member

My 2007 is very nice (R9)

8. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I've had several over the last 10 years, all were really good, a couple great. The thing that the two great ones had in common was I got them from marks guitar loft.

I'd look there for sure

9. Bogner

Bogner Member

There are nice ones and dogs in every year. Each guitar is unique. Best thing you can do is get your hands on them ands what works for you. I would ask a ton of questions....the right questions....and hopefully the seller is wise enough, experienced enough, honest enough to answer them intelligently so you know what you are getting into. Good luck!

10. Krisgel

Krisgel Member

Thanks all. Unfortunately I will need to buy from TGP, Reverb, ebay, etc. I don;t really have any way to try a guitar before buying.

11. Bluesdaddy

Bluesdaddy Member

I actually prefer my three 2008 Reissues to my two 2010 even though 2009/10 was supposed to be a year of a lot of positive changes. I have had two other 2010 Reissues as well and still prefer the 2008's.
    So I guess year by year may not be a good way to pick but I've heard great things of 2013/14 but have yet to play one.

12. ethomas1013

True enough, no one can conclusively define whether the hide glue and historically correct truss rod really make a significant tonal difference. But I really like the Custom Bucker pickups so there is that too. I kept the 2014 R9 and sold the '99. YMMV

13. Krisgel

Krisgel Member

So are the 2013 - 2015 Historic LP's supposed to be truer to the original guitars that they are trying to emulate?

14. ethomas1013

That's quite an interesting topic on its own... Every year Gibson makes some small adjustment to make them more historically "accurate". Whether they succeed or not is highly debated, and whether the changes actually produce a better sounding guitar, or one that sounds like a vintage LP is also debatable. Now the upcoming 2015 "True Historics" are supposed to be the most accurate Gibson has ever made in limited quantities with a hefty 29% price increase. And the other Historic Les Pauls are going to a short neck tenon construction method which is most definitely NOT accurate and a bad move, IMO. See this thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1561163

Simple answer, in 2013 Gibson went to Hide Glue construction for the neck joint and went to a historically accurate truss rod without the plastic sleeve. They also changed to the Custom Bucker pickups along with some other changes (listed below). The 2014 guitars are essentially the same with the addition that they use Hide Glue for the fretboard.

2013 Changes:
    The 2013 Custom Shop reissue Les Pauls are just being released and here is the list of cool changes to the appointments: Back to 1-piece rosewood fingerboards with real celluloid inlays, the neck set will now be done with Hide Glue, new vintage accurate truss rod with no sleeve, all guitars will now come with Custom Buckers for pickups, correct aniline dye in the cherry pore filler for the back color, new neck and body binding with a more accurate vintage color, new single line Kluson tuners, both the front and back colors have been changed on all goldtops, the gold color is more accurate and slightly green, the back color has a darker pore filler and is more of a walnut brown.

15. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

look at all years, there are great ones in each year. I love my 2011, and would not trade it for a 2014.

16. dwk302

dwk302 Member

My favorite are the 2013-2014 and the 1990s models. The necks on the 2013-2014 models have smaller shoulders which some will find more comfortable.

17. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

If you are looking for historical accuracy, he easiest answer is, "the newer, the better." That said, there are some GREAT Reissue LPs starting with the mid-to-late 1990's.

18. Bankston

Bankston Member

I just bought a like new 2014 R9 VOS for $3,800. You can find deals out there.

19. ethomas1013

Yes, I agree with this. That's why I kept the 2014 and sold the '99. Too much shoulder on the '99 which made the neck feel huge.

I have heard it said that the '90's and early 2000's in general have bigger necks. I have not played enough of them to know if they can be generalized like that.

20. TooManyDaves

TooManyDaves Member

I just completed a search for a new historic reissue today. The 2013-2014s have good reputations, and those are what I focused on. I don't doubt that there are good ones from other years also, but I only played a few of the others.

With your budget, you are probably in range of a new R7 or R8 from at least one of the obvious major specialty dealers of reissues. But prices on 2014s may be firming up with a big price increase widely rumored to take effect 5/1. Also, I will PM you regarding a used one I came across at a retailer. Good luck!