Looking to learn about Hybrid amp design and Stereo amps

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by elkym, Apr 26, 2016.

1. elkym

elkym Member

I know this isn't exactly the place, but I figure some of you will know where to point me.

I'm basically looking for reading material. I'm browsing Tubecad.com right now, but I'm not grasping everything I'm looking at, so I think I need some primers on solid state and hybrid amplification design. (Books or online resources are fine, either way)

Help me out, will ya?

2. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

I really enjoyed "Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook" by Douglas Self.

But this is strictly solid-state and hi-fi stuff. His mentality is to have the amplifier reproduce a pure amplified signal, with the lowest THD possible. He bashes the hi-fi purists and their valve amps at one point, which I kinda get... but that's another story.

Needless to say this isn't for guitar amps. Not sure what you needed this for ( I'm guessing it's guitar amps :( )

3. elkym

elkym Member

Actually, no-- I love guitar amps, but right now I'm working on an idea for a stereo or 2.1 channel amp/receiver. So this is a great recommendation. Thanks!

4. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

Great then!

He dropped the "handbook" in the latest edition.

Here it is.

5. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Just for a fine general purpose "a little of everything" applied to Guitar amps, no Math at all but practical examples, get

To see if you like it you can download the "text" part which is online at various pages but it's really worth having the paper copy nearby, it also has a ton of useful schematics which were never scanned.

That said, there are many other good books, I'd start with the simplest ones and go up step by step.