Looking to record.. Windows vista????

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by 69strat, Feb 15, 2009.

1. 69strat

69strat Member

Guys, I'm new to computer recording.. I would like to get some software and some mics ect.... Does anyone sell a package thats cheap so I can start before I spend a bundle on something I dont use.... I'm using vista.. I have cakewalk on a old computer and I sometimes go direct.. I would like to record my amp ect... What can you sugest???

2. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=28&langid=100&

3. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Depends on how old your computer is I quess ?

For starters, get a SM57 Mic. If your gonna have only 1 mic then thats the one to have. Does Vocals ,Drums and guitars very nice. They are a must have for everyone.

Your gonna need something to interface your PC to record with. There are hundreds of options and many of them come with basic multi-track recording software. It all depends on how much $ you want to spend

Here's an example: Comes with software and is only $200

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio?sku=245505

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. 69strat

69strat Member

I am looking at entry level... 2 to 3 hundred dollars.. For the software.. Can you suggest anything with pre recorded drum tracks??? In cakewalk they provided different types of drum tracks.. Pre recorded... I dont want to spend a lot of time on the rhythm section.. Just trying to get some ideas down....

5. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

For getting ideas down why not just use a field recorder? Certainly easier.....(For me it is...)

6. 69strat

69strat Member

any other suggestion?????

7. Dale

Dale Member

Cakewalk Home Studio, SM 57 and some sort of sound card (firepod maybe).

Or Reaper for the software and the other equipment.

8. altruistic8

altruistic8 Member

honestly get rid of vista its terrible for recording

9. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

I'd definitely check out Reaper before spending money on software. You can try it free for 30 days... nothing crippled about it, and it works great. If you like it (and you're honest, because it's an honor system) you can buy it for $50.

That includes a ton of plug-ins, constant updates, skins for the GUI, and a bunch of other stuff. The site is www.reaper.fm.

10. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I use Sonar 7 PE on Vista and have no problems at all. Just like any OS, you need to tweak it for audio, but once you've done that, it is a perfecctly fine OS for audio work.

11. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

+1 I have an M-Audio Firewire interface and vista is in conflict with it all of the time. I have the latest drivers and everything, but the sound cuts out completely at least twice a day. i'm thinking of using windows xp because it seemed more stable with audio programs and drivers.

12. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I don't know that you can really say that. There are so many variables--both hardware and software--in a DAW, it's hard to blame any specific troubles on Vista. I'm running a MOTU HD192 PCI unit and it works flawlessly.

One or two people having trouble with Vista doesn't mean Vista sucks for recording. It simply means their situation sucks. XP may or may not fix the problem for them.

13. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

There are variables that I have narrowed down. The DAW works with my other computers running essentially the same software/programs, the only difference being that those computers have Windows XP.

I, and many other people who I know and who are vastly more knowledgeable about computers and software, have told me that vista is less compatible with many programs and hardware than is XP.

I'm no expert and can only relate my personal experience.

Why is Dell charging an upcharge of $100 to install XP on a computer they sell? There is still a big demand.

14. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

The Presonus Firebox (about 250-275 street) works well with Vista and come with Cubase 4 LE.

I have been running the FireStudio with no issues in Vista.

Matt

15. 69strat

69strat Member

Thanks for all the info.... I just checked cakewalk 4 in best buy.. Does anyone here use it with vista??? Also, the old cakewalk software I have has pre recorded midi drum styles... Does the cakewalk 4 software have it??? I liked just picking a groove rather than spending so much time on drum sequencing....

16. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I would certainly recommend reaper and ezdrummer, I have just got both and within 4 hours got the drum track for my first recording done, exactly as I wanted it with no compromise (might need to make changes when the rest of the tracks are laid down). Never used either bit of kit before so there was some learning to do, but it certainly is painless and intuitive stuff