• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Looking to replace wireless systems.

crambone

I am currently using rack-mounted systems for my guitar (Shure PGX) and IEMs (Shure PSM700) but both are in the 600 mhx spectrum which will be illegal shortly. Looking for suggestions that won’t break the bank.

I contacted Sweetwater about rebates but Shure is only offering $50.00 per set for the trade-in.

I don’t need anything touring or professional grade, just something that is strongly-built and doesn’t have many drops.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
don'tcha hate it?

i'm rocking a PSM700 myself that's also in the 600 zone; i don't see anything that's built as well and is as "pro" for under a grand, those things are just diesel and they sound great. so far i'm having no problems, and since it has a bunch of different channel options i think i'll be able to squeak by with it for a while to come. (the manual explains the procedure to scan for clear channels should there be any interference).

the new shure PSM300 is serviceable and has lots of features, just be sure to spring for the upgraded metal bodypack.

as for the guitar, look at any number of decent digital 2.4GHz systems which won't have FCC issues; the shure GLX-D16 is turning into a bar band standard while i really like my line 6 relay G75.

still, this may be bad advice but up until like a year ago both i and some of my bandmates were still using old PSM400s that were in the 700 band (which got gobbled up a while ago) and never really noticed any issues. it may be a long time before any actual problems in the 600 band start cropping up.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
I've been using a Line 6 G30 for a few years with no complaints.
People slam it for the plastic battery compartment door but if you treat it with care it will be fine.
Place the transmitter in a neoprene pouch velcro'd to your strap and you'll have the best bang for buck wireless out there.

Guitar Stu

I am currently using rack-mounted systems for my guitar (Shure PGX) and IEMs (Shure PSM700) but both are in the 600 mhx spectrum which will be illegal shortly. Looking for suggestions that won’t break the bank.

I contacted Sweetwater about rebates but Shure is only offering $50.00 per set for the trade-in.

I don’t need anything touring or professional grade, just something that is strongly-built and doesn’t have many drops.
I was researching the dongle type wireless like the Line 6 G10, Xvive U2 and the Nux-B2 and came across Vernon Reid from Living Color using the Xvive U2 at a show (although looking at some clips from this year he still mainly uses cable). That's good enough for me. I ended up with the NUX-B2 and it has worked fine so far.

Last edited:

MLG Audio

I was researching the dongle type wireless like the Line 6 G10, Xvive U2 and the Nux-B2 and came across Vernon Reid from Living Color using the Xvive U2 at a show (although looking at some clips from this year he still mainly uses cable). That's good enough for me. I ended up with the NUX-B2 and it has worked fine so far.

Can you give a but more info about that NUX B2? It looks really interesting. I'm playing acoustic in my band and I'd love to go wireless without spending a ton of money.

Hows the battery life, and is it inconvenient to charge it between gigs? I could see myself forgetting to do that very easily

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Can you give a but more info about that NUX B2? It looks really interesting. I'm playing acoustic in my band and I'd love to go wireless without spending a ton of money.
man, don't go that cheap! you'll note the ad copy even says "for home or studio rehearsals", they're not trying to market it for even weekend warrior gigs.

the main issue with these sub-$200 digital wireless dongles besides range and reliability is latency, it tends to be rather high, like over 10ms. also, what's the point of a battery-powered receiver? that's the piece that isn't moving around, it should plug in.

i think the best in this segment is probably the line 6 relay G10 for like $180 instead of $130. the G10 has a wall-powered base, automatically frequency-scans when you fire it up, and has the same <4ms latency of more pro digital wireless systems. even then, the ad copy shows it being used like in a garage band or a dude with an acoustic on the beach (there's a goofy ad with a guy playing guitar while sitting on the toilet).
Hows the battery life, and is it inconvenient to charge it between gigs? I could see myself forgetting to do that very easily
having built-in li-ion batteries i'd guess pretty good, but it would be like charging your phone, and you'd need to do it between gigs. (another thing i don't like, i want my band gear to be able to stay in the van or whatever and always be ready when i load in the next time. my wireless stuff all has battery chargers mounted with it so while i'm playing on one set of batteries another set is charging for the next gig. having to remember to go get your band gear, drag it into the house and recharge it between shows is for the birds)

if you want cheap high-fidelity digital wireless, look at the line 6 G30, they're going for dirt now and are way more pro than these little toys.

Guitar Stu

I tried it with my acoustic but I had some problems with it. When the volume on the acoustic was above half there was something with the attack when hitting strings medium to hard that wasn't quite right. maybe a little bit like a compressor sounds. From reading up these dongle things don't seem to like active pickups or acoustic preamps. No problems like that on electric guitar with passive pickups.

Latency is claimed to be <5ms and I definitely can't hear any. I can get 4 hours constant playing. Battery light doesn't come on but transmitter is down to 1 bar of 4 when recharging so I don't think it would get much longer. It charges just like a phone with a usb micro plug. Just have to remember to charge when you get home. Build is plastic and does feel a bit fragile. Not trying to claim it is pro standard but I was amazed at how easy it is to use and sounds no different to a cable. I personally was attracted to the form factor of the two rechargable dongles.

A friends band who gig very regularly have 3 of the line 6 G10's for two guitars and bass. They got nothing but good things to say about the G10's so far. I do like the way the dongles plug in to the receiver to charge on the G10.

At the price point I don't have to much expectation for how long the NUX-B2 is going to last. It will probably be a bit like other modern tech. When the rechargable batteries start to die, throw it in the bin and upgrade to the latest and greatest product. I think the dongle type wireless is only going to get better and more popular into the future. I mean you can by a watch that also doubles as a smartphone. The technology is here.

jerryfan6

Gold Supporting Member
Big fan of my G10 for guitar. I had a G30, but the receiver door issue was a total pain. My signal would randomly drop. No such issue with the G10.

Trending Topics