• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Looking to try or buy a Flaxwood in the USA, got any leads or willing to let me try/borrow/sell yours?

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
Someone on TGP made me curious about this brand. I'm not going to tell you it's the most beautiful or best sounding guitar out there, I'm just really curious about what they're doing with non traditional materials. I'd buy a used one just to try it if I could find them towards the lower end of what they're going for, but maybe someone can save me the trouble and let me try theirs someday while traveling or let me borrow one? They say you miss all the shots you don't take.

I do see GC has one but I can't even tell which one it is because I just don't know much about the brand and their pictures are terrible.

Someone on TGP made me curious about this brand. I'm not going to tell you it's the most beautiful or best sounding guitar out there, I'm just really curious about what they're doing with non traditional materials. I'd buy a used one just to try it if I could find them towards the lower end of what they're going for, but maybe someone can save me the trouble and let me try theirs someday while traveling or let me borrow one? They say you miss all the shots you don't take.

I do see GC has one but I can't even tell which one it is because I just don't know much about the brand and their pictures are terrible.
If you're talking about this one, the pics are decent to my eyes...you can tell just about everything you need to and it lists the model name as well:

King Marke

Played one "Äijä" several years ago, and back then I thought it was one of the most comfortable guitars ever. I've heard (not experienced) some of them having feedback issues due to the construction. Don't quote me on that, but if GC has a good return policy, you could just order it and see what's what. Even their cheapest models are supposedly good quality.

Not much help, sorry, but let us know how it goes if you manage to try one. There are occasionally these guitars for sale in Finland 2nd hand, but private sales can be a pain between countries.

Beat Ricko

BYO Guitar had actual Flaxwood bodies and necks on their site awhile back - Must have bought up the existing stock. They still have Flaxwood pups, hardware, etc. but no bodies and necks listed. It may be worth getting in touch with them - There may be some strays layin' around!

sedawkgrep

Silver Supporting Member
I owned one for awhile. VERY comfortable to play. Surprisingly heavy for being completely hollow construction. (The f-holes are just holes in an otherwise normal flaxwood body)

Sadly it was otherwise unremarkable beyond that. The chosen SD pups were uninspired but that might just be my preference; I definitely am not fan of the jazz neck. Perhaps if I swapped the pickups I'd have kept it. Dunno. I think that for the price they were targeting they needed to have something "more" than just being a novel material and design.

Musicmaster

Silver Supporting Member
A friend bought the first Flaxwood guitar ever shipped to Canada... He worked at the local Long & McQuade at the time, and eventually decided to put it up on the wall on consignment. After many months his boss made him take it back down because nobody seemed to be interested! I'm not sure if he eventually sold it or if he still has it.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
Some of the things I'm hearing make me think I'd have to find a hell of a deal to one to take a chance.

Last edited:

sedawkgrep

Silver Supporting Member
Some of the things I'm hearing make me think I'd have to find a hell of a deal to one to talk a chance.
Agreed. If you could land one for ~$700 USD it might be worth it.

If you end up wanting to sell it, you'll probably need to sell it for about that much to move it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom