Looking to upgrade my amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jcmark611, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

If found this site www.s2amps.com and they can upgrade my Hot Rod Deluxe into a handwired P2P amp. My problem is figuring out what to make it. They can make it into a Fender Tweed Deluxe, a Marshall 1974x, a Vox 15 or anything I can dream up.

I am considering having them turn it into a low powered Tweed Twin but, it would only have one speaker. Would that really affect the tone? Do the Twins need two speakers to get that tone? Would I be better off having them convert it to a Tweed Deluxe? Any input would be great, thanks.

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I'm puzzled... most of the amps can be purchased, rather than "created" out of something else. If I wanted a 1974X (and I do) I would rather buy one. What's the appeal for you? What's wrong w/ your current amp? What do you want your amp to do?

3. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I hate the sound of my amp. It is a Tweed Hot Rod Deluxe I bought a few years ago. I love the look of the amp. Yes I could buy one of those amps but, this seems like a better and cheaper option to me.

Personally I want it to have some great cleans but, be able to get that Tweed sound when cranked but, not blow out all the neighbors at the same time.

Heck, maybe I could get a 25 watt Tweed Deluxe with 6L6s?

4. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Keep in mind that replacing a transformer is going to add to your cost- the TD is a 40w amp, which is too much OT for the 5E3 Deluxe and not enough for the 5E8 Twin. If dealing with the iron isn't a big deal, I'd guess that you've got enough room in there for something which incorporates effects, too- a brown Deluxe clone with bias-vary trem or bfDR shouldn't be out of the question, assuming the tech is comfortable with the circuit.

5. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

Sell the amp and get what you want. It will be cheaper and you will be happier. Amps are like guitars, no two sound alike and buying one sight unseen or modding an amp to a different sound is a risky proposition. YMMV

6. AL30

AL30 Member

I agree with the above. I'm sure the company would do a great job but I think you're in for a lot of money by the time you're finished.

The rebuilds of the other amps seem to be running around $400 - $500 with upgrades (obviously) costing extra.

Sell it and get another amp.

AL

7. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

:RoCkIn
    yup, yup, yup. go play a bunch of amps. invite yourself over to other forumites in your area.

8. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

keep in mind too that all the amps you mentioned have different control layouts than your HRD. Not to mention transformer mismatches, and performing the surgery will likely require hacking up your existing chassis.

Sell your amp and put the 700 or so that you were going to put in the "rebuild" and buy a used tweed deluxe or even towards a used tweed twin on ebay. I think you'll be happier in the end. plus the thing about ebay is that if you buy used, you can most likely "flip" the amp for what you bought it for and only be out shipping and listing costs. Sometimes you can get a deal too where you make money on turning it over if you don't like it.

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

All of the above... nothing against S2... I just think it makes more sense to try some amps and buy what you want instead of launching on a path that may or may not get you where you want to go.

10. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Thanks guys. I'll definetly take that into consideration. I would love to sell my amp on E-Bay but, I work 7 days a week on third shift and I have not had time to dust off the amp or get it packed at the UPS store.