looks like eternities are selling for less these days

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by woodie, Apr 15, 2008.

1. woodie

woodie Member

just perusing the emporium, i'm noticing a lot of them going for less than the standard 289 of days past...
    are people done with these or has supply finally caught up with demand?
    I still love mine. I just wish i could have picked one up for $175... :jo

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

still got my ol' 05' burst.

might sell it though...just bought another guit and need to re-coup a little..

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I think the supply finally equalled out the demand...The Eternity is however one of the best OD pedals on the planet....Does anyone know how many versions Sean has done?? more interested in the difference of tone/gain, not the cosmetics...thankx guys,,,

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

According to Sean (from a post on another board) there are 11 versions of the Eternity. I personally have owned 5 different versions but I think I'm done buying them as the white v3 is my favorite and I can't see that changing.

5. Axe_78th

Axe_78th Member

IMO the ones that are for sale at those prices are the new SMD builds. I look for the older handwired versions to have a higher resale value.

6. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

+1 on that.

7. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Just wait on the old bursts to start rising pricewise. I believe that because those were the first to garner alot of attention that they will certainly be more collectable. Seems like things with goop always bring more money.

8. wahwah

wahwah Member

It certainly seems that the SMD versions are much harder to re-sell, which will make their resale value deteriorate very quickly, just to try to move them on. Conversely, we can expect the hand-wired versions to rise in value since they are now out of production. Those that are selling hand-wired versions seem to make a definite point of the fact in their item listings, whereas those trying to move an SMD version simply refer to it as being "new." Eventually, the SMD versions will be going second hand for about half the price of the hand-wired, which will make the full retail price for an SMD seem very expensive. I wouldn't want to be in the position of trying to sell an SMD, because you're bound to lose money on it just to get rid of it. I think I'll just hang on to my White v3, which kicks serious butt, and is gaining value just sitting there on my board while it pays for itself many times over doing gigs!

Cheers...................................wahwah

9. racktifier

racktifier Member

That's the main reason why I'll hang onto my '05 burst for a while yet.

Interestingly, Sean's making a small batch of handwired Es @ $259:
    http://www.lovepedal.com/membersONLYpage.htm

10. madscientist

madscientist Member

If I didn't just pick up a HW RH, I'd be all over that; it's a great price!

This thread hits home, as I'm trying to sell a recent SMD build. The "bubble" as one can say, surely has burst (no pun intended). Without trying to advertise, I've dropped my price a lot, compared to the original purchase price, and there's been relatively few nibbles. Sad, as they really do sound SO similar, but there's still so much superstition about SMD.

11. wahwah

wahwah Member

I'm not surprised that he's chosen to hand-make the White v3 version in this limited run...that's the one with the cohones! It does a fantastic early 70's Blackmoresque impression, which means you can actually use the treble booster!

Cheers.............................wahwah

12. JMarck

JMarck Member

I think the 05' Burst is the best OD on the market. Just wait til they become even harder to find. I think prices will skyrocket.

--Josh

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I just bought Phishmarisols' Eternity, I hope I dig it. Last time I had an Eternity (last summer) I wasn't too happy. Different amp now, so hopefully the end result will be better, if not you'll be seeing it for sale soon.

14. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Funny that the first one I bought new was the white. I sold it and bought two different bursts and eventually sold those too. I guess I should have held on to my original white one as I never see those for sale.

15. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Mine went like this...

white v3 > E6 > Roadhouse > white v3 > 05 Burst > white v3 & black box > white v3

I think I see a pattern emerging.

16. wahwah

wahwah Member

Yes, there's a very good reason for that! The guy I bought mine from told me that he was "upgrading" to one of those orange SMD E6's!!! I didn't argue with him.

Cheers...............................wahwah

17. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I've got a white one, but how can I tell what version it is....I think I bought it in fall of 2005 just before the Roadhouse E6 was introduced. Mine has the knobs labeled, as opposed to some of the other non labeled white ones I've seen. Oh, it has the power adapter, and a Blue LED if that helps identify it. I love the pedal, it's my main (only) overdrive.

Cheers

Kris

18. wahwah

wahwah Member

Well, the one that he's about to make 20 of is the '06 spec hand-wired white V3, which he says has the most gain and compression of any Eternity. The one I have has the MXR style knobs and no labels, and is signed and dated '06 inside the cover. If the gain rises very quickly, early in the gain knob's travel, it's probably one of these. Just killer. I'd choose several other pedals before it to do the open, low-mid gain thing, but for early 70's Marshall style crunch with a treble boost, this pedal is stunning. Cleans up beautifully with the volume control, too. It's left my Mad Professor Little Green Wonder gasping for breath, and off the board.

Cheers..................................wahwah

19. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

That sounds about right...there's plenty of gain in my E. Enough that I decided I didn't need a Crunchbox (I only used about 1/2 the gain on that pedal). In retrospect, 2006 sounds like the right time-frame for when I bought mine. Mine wasn't signed or dated on the back plate though...just a metallic silver paint swirl.

Cheers

Kris

20. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I like mine but I hesitate to buy a second as you never know what you'll get.