Looks like I will be getting a Brand New Fender 57 reissue...AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by webe123, Oct 23, 2005.

1. webe123

webe123 Member

In the early 80s when they first came out, I got a fender 57 reissue from a local music store where I lived. This was one of those that did not have the fret markers where they should be, because fender didn't want to re-tool at that time to get the fret markers right. The body radius, was also not up to spec on original 57s as well as the pickups were made from what I can tell were just modeled after some older pickups, but no real year in particular. The newer ones address all these issues.

Well a couple of years ago, I decided to sell my 57 reissue to get a PRS Mcarty and even though I do not regret selling that particular one ( It was going to have to have a total replacing of the frets...as I wore them OUT) I STILL love the Mcarty soapbar, which I am DEFINATELY KEEPING....but I have missed the reissue 57 strat sound.

So now I have worked it out and this thursday I am going to go to a store and put one on layaway with most of it being paid off and I will owe about $240.00, but I can pay that off in a couple of weeks. So hopefully, if everything goes right, in three weeks or less I will have a Brand New Fender 57 reissue stratocaster with tweed hardshell case and ashtray bridge cover in two tone sunburst! (Love that color!)

I am planning on paying $1,364.99 for one, but if anyone has any other places on the net you can suggest with good service and lower prices than that, please post. I will either get it at a local store or get it on the net, but either way, I am not paying more than I can get it off the net for. If the local people don't want to deal, then fine, I will get my price elswhere. But I am willing to try them first, as most of the local stores now say they will beat any advertised price.

2. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

EM Shorts has the best prices I have found on the net. They don't have the prices on the web sight, you'll have to call them. Also, they will set it up to tour spec., make sure the frets are level, and put your choice of strings on.

http://www.wichitaband.com/guitar.html

3. webe123

webe123 Member

I am definately giving them a call monday and find out what the total is with shipping. Thanks!

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Before you get that guitar, have a look at

this

If you email, you can ask Ishibashi to get you a 2-tone one. I'm sure they're still made and sold.

I have one of these guitars and the neck is SO CLOSE to a '54 I've played, it was spooky. While i use mine as a dedicated slide guitar, these are the best recent-manufacture Strats I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

Here's mine. Mine has Hamel pickups in it now but the stock pups are good, too. USA CS '50s

5. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

You may want to check the Guitar Emporium !

6. webe123

webe123 Member

I do not get anything but an error message from your link. Mabye you can just tell about the link you was gonna give?

7. MikeP

MikeP Member

try this
    Ishibashi

8. webe123

webe123 Member

Well thanks, but I think I will stick to a US site. That one is in Japan. Seems they have a good selection of strats, though. But I would really worry if I bought something from Japan like a guitar. Anyway, why would I want to go through Japan to buy a US made guitar like the 57 reissue? (that is what I am buying)

9. MikeP

MikeP Member

Well you would have to do a search & read up on it.
    I think it is universally agreed that their workmanship & attention to detail tends to be much better than the US made guitars.
    Also they originally were closer to a replica than the US.
    Back when they were doing correct headstocks etc.

10. webe123

webe123 Member

Well from all my years reading about guitars on the net and talking to live musicians, , I must disagree. I have not found any evidence that points to the Japenese building a better made reissue guitar than americans today, when it comes to a fender strat. Mabye in the past when fender US was having some QC issues, but not by todays standards.

They DO build a fantastic guitar though. But if I was gonna get a Japenese strat , it would be a second one and it would be one that was built in the 80s...that is when they were known for making them better than fender US and their squires were fantastic.

11. MikeP

MikeP Member

Could be but have you played any? Recently from Japan?
    If not you might want to give one a try.
    I recently tried a couple. While they are not Suhr's they were better than what I have played from Fender US in regards to the RI stuff.

12. webe123

webe123 Member

I have no place to go and play one. All of the local stores around here have only american made reissues. My statement was based on what semi- professionals and others who gig regularly have said.

I cannot say what a MIJ reissue sounds like, but I CAN say that the fender reissues of the 80s sounded great. I am told that the new US reissues sound even better. But as far as Fender japanese made guitars, I really could not say.

13. KLB

KLB Member

Get the EJ Strat instead of the '57 reissue.

It is well worth the extra money.

14. webe123

webe123 Member

Sorry, but I do not care for signature guitars. Though the EJ is highly reccomended by a lot of people, I just don't like basing my guitar on the specs of what EJ plays. He is a terriffic player, but what may work for him may not work for me. And I know how the 57 reissue sounds and plays, with the EJ I do not.

15. KLB

KLB Member

No need to apologize, however, you might want to try one before passing judgement. The EJ Strat stands out as one of the best standard production guitars Fender has made in many moons.

EJ has played REAL '57 Strats for years. This guitar is his and Fender's successful attempt to improve the original in many useful ways. The pickups alone are worth the difference.

The "signature" part is inconspicuous on the neck plate. I would have tried and bought this guitar even if it weren't endorsed by EJ because it has so many advantages over a '57 reissue.

Cheers,
    Ken

16. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Ken is right on the money, I can't see buying a brand new 57 when you can get the EJ strat for a couple hundred more.
    It has nothing to do with whether you like EJ or not- the guitar does not have any 'sig' on the headstock or anything.
    The EJ is simply a better guitar, while retaining the best of the 57. Look at it this way-you get the same basic look and vibe of the 57, but with better wood. The EJ's are all 2 piece and light by his spec. You also get better QC- I have played many 57's with varying weight, some gappy neck pockets, messy frets. I went strat hunting the other day and every EJ was light, had a tight neck pocket, good string alignment, and nice set-up.
    Plus the EJ has better pickups stock, the lower tone control wired to the bridge (which almost everyone does anyway), the 5 way installed, and the staggered klusons for better tuning stability, plus a bone nut. On top of that you get bigger frets and easier bending. I played 4 new ones and each was great. The same day I played one 57 that was real nice and 2 more that were dogs. To me the EJ was like a cherry picked 57 after a pro fret job and re-radius, with better pickups installed and pro set-up.

17. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Weird, it worked for me.

18. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Because the Japanese guitar is better made? For less money?

19. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

You can hear the CIJ guitar right here

The opening riff and all the slide is the Strat. It's simply the finest '50s era production RI out there. But I can see you've got your mind made up so this will be my last post on the subject.

the rhythm guitar is a Japanese Tele. Best Tele I ever played.

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I concur........