• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Looks like Waters is like Crosby… can’t let it die?!?

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
I think the most significant thing about this and other spats is the amount of press and buzz generated by them. A proven strategy to get yourself talked about is to pick a fight with someone else. Shatner and Takei are masters at it.

Bozak

I don't really see Crosby and Waters in the same light, despite the two making these bold comments in the same weeks, Waters has been doing this for ages and I consider him a far more important musician, he's a genius and Crosby is just a singer who's been part of some groups I admire.

And while I think everyone would agree that people should keep these thoughts to themselves, Waters is a huge celebrity in the rock world so people are interested in this stuff, it's compelling dirt.

I think he's just telling it like it is, albeit in a crude way, he has no reason to lie. He was treated poorly by his band mates at least early on and he then went on to helm all their best albums, which gives him enormous satisfaction as well as sour grapes from the others, and he's been throwing it back in their faces ever since.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
I don't really see Crosby and Waters in the same light, despite the two making these bold comments in the same weeks, Waters has been doing this for ages and I consider him a far more important musician, he's a genius and Crosby is just a singer who's been part of some groups I admire.

And while I think everyone would agree that people should keep these thoughts to themselves, Waters is a huge celebrity in the rock world so people are interested in this stuff, it's compelling dirt.

I think he's just telling it like it is, albeit in a crude way, he has no reason to lie. He was treated poorly by his band mates at least early on and he then went on to helm all their best albums, which gives him enormous satisfaction as well as sour grapes from the others, and he's been throwing it back in their faces ever since.
Waters is a genius? That label gets thrown around too liberally. Does not apply here!

Stratburst70

After he went solo, Roger Waters quickly realized that the Gilmour-led Pink Floyd was selling out arenas while Waters struggled to fill 5,000 seat venues. I suspect that he’s still bitter about that.

The funniest part about the whole story is that Waters signed a contract saying that Pink Floyd was more than just one member (this was when they were trying to ease Syd Barret out of the group). Then, when Waters claimed that “Pink Floyd can’t continue without me” his former bandmates waved the contract with his signature on it and said, “Yes, we can!”

GerryJ

Quite awhile ago, Gilmour responded in a bemused way to the inevitable break up questions with- "look, 50% of MARRIAGES fail! Marriages!! It really should come as no surprise that a bunch of MUSICIANS don't want to spend the rest of their lives together!"
-----------
This band breakup drama DOES seem to be more of a preoccupation with the boomer generation than younger people. My theory on this is it is due to their intense exposure to marketing in childhood of the Beatles (TV, movies, cartoon shows) as the Four Musketeers, inseparable friends who also happened to play music together.

DanR

and we just keep feeding them
best to just ignore it, & the rags that publish this garbage
Well, some of us find it amusing and entertaining. I got a good chuckle when I read the phrase that Waters used "Whopping Porky Pies," which he accused Gilmour of telling.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
This is just clickbait crap. I don’t actually think any of them care very much, but people keep asking questions about PF in interviews, and they all get tired of answering them, so they spout off something snarky and 1,000 clickbait articles are born for 5 years

Trending Topics

Top Bottom