Loooong stereo tape/analog style delay..?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jbro, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jbro

jbro Member

I'm looking for a long (between 5-30 seconds, depending on the situation) stereo (pan/pingpong) delay. The catch is, I need it to attenuate some highs, degrade, or add some "tape" warmth and warble. I also need the delay time and feedback level to be adjustable in real time, with a physical knob or with MIDI control.

Basically I'm looking to replicate the Frippertronics setup for creating long, ambient textures. Using a digital delay for this sounds too cold and inorganic to me (sorry for the cliche). I'll be using a Memory Lane for a shorter, modulated delay, and then using the long pingpong delay as a looper.

Anyone know of a rackmount or pedal unit that can do this? I know the DD-20 has enough delay time, but there's no filtering or EQ adjustments in pingpong mode. Also it would be great if I could bypass the delay input while still retaining the feedback (so I would be able to make a "loop", then play over it without adding to it). I have a nice chain of VST plugins that do exactly what I want, but I don't like the stability, fragility, and latency issues that come with using a laptop live. Ideas?

2. drolling

drolling Member

Maneco loopers may not be stereo, but he's managed to inject a lot of analogue funkiness into a digital pedal w/various filters, modulators, hi-cut controls, etc.. The Eko Filter II's the one that most interests me, but everybody else seems to want one too.

The longest true-analogue (bucket-brigade chip) delays I know of clock in at around one second. To get 5-30 seconds, you'd really have to splice together a big loop of tape between two reel-to-reel recorders, just like Fripp did in the 70s.

I've had a lot of success using various digital units (both pedal & rackmount) in conjunction w/plenty of tube-driven reverb and a few analogue stomps (delay, phase/flange, etc..)

If you haven't yet, I recommend you take a look at Loopers-delight.com. You'll find the most comprehensive info on currently available looping hardware (and software!) algo w/an historical overview of looping & the tools used, past & present.

3. jbro

jbro Member

Thanks drolling. I'm on the LD mailing list and I just posted something there too.

Just to clarify, I AM looking for a digital delay, not real analog, but I need it to have filtering/EQ or some type of analog/tape modeling technology to add a bit of life to the repeats. Also I'm not looking for an on/off looper, but an adjustable feedback long delay. I have an RC-50 for the more "traditional" looping tasks. I'm having a hard time finding all the features I need in one package (besides my laptop).

4. drolling

drolling Member

Have you looked into the Akai Headrush E2? It's a current production looper/delay pedal w/5 second 'tape echo' mode and a 35 second 'phrase sample' mode.

The middle setting's a 17.5 second digital delay w/a 'hi-cut' treble rolloff control. This is my favorite feature, as you can set the feedback high to create 'loops' that continuously evolve as new overdubs replace old. The cut knob can be set to gradually attenuate highs, or create an ambient wash of murky sludge.

I just got one a couple of weeks ago and am having a blast. Seems like a solid & reliable piece of road-worthy gear as well..

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I don't understand what's wrong with the DD-20. It has the tone knob which only effects the delays, not the dry signal, letting you cut down on the "sterileness" you don't like about the digital delays.

6. jbro

jbro Member

Very interesting.. my friend uses one of these for looping, I didn't know about the other stuff. I'll have to check it out.

7. jbro

jbro Member

Hmm.. reading the manual gave me the impression that there is no control over the EQ in pingpong mode. Looking at a picture, though, I see there's a big old tone knob right on the control panel (duh). I actually owned a DD20 for about a week, too, but it died on me on the 3rd gig. I returned it and never went back. My only other problem with that pedal was that you can't tweak the delay time smoothly while playing, to get those old tape machine style pitch bends like you can with the DL4.. on the DD20 the delay time adjustment only works in incriments too small to make a difference, or so big that it makes it choppy.

At any rate, sounds like the DD20 may deserve a second look for the application I have in mind.

8. murch33

murch33 Active Member

Hey, this looks familiar... Hello, fellow LD'er!

When I read this earlier today, the first thing I thought of was the D-Two from TC Electronics. It allows you to set feedback at 100% so your delayed signal never decays. You can then bypass the delay and play over your "loop". I think that's kind of what you're asking for. It also has a hi/low cut, as well as the ability to add chorus, filters, reverse, and a couple other effects to the delayed signal.

However, if I remember right it's only got 5 seconds in stereo or 10 seconds in mono. That would put it squarely in the low end of your requirements. I've got a D-Two on the way (hopefully tomorrow) that I'll be using as my primary delay, but I'll definitely try it out as a looper to see how it performs. I currently use a Boomerang+ (until I can afford an EDP, at least), so the D-Two's looping abilities aren't really a huge deal to me.

9. jbro

jbro Member

Thanks guys. It's tough because I have such a specific application that I need filled, and I'm looking for one device to do it. I think, after some consideration, that the Memory Lane into a DD-20 set to pingpong, with the treble rolled off, should work just fine for live scenarios... and then I can use the laptop for the heavier processing in the studio.

10. jbro

jbro Member

YES! And, in a perfect world, I'd run right out and buy one.. and a TC Fireworx to use with it. However.. it's a little (actually a lot) more than I'm looking/able to spend right now.

I just scored a used DD20 for $130, and I think it will do what I need it to do LIVE, and then I have my laptop for the extended processing power I need for recordings.. dig? ;)

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

You certainly have some knowledge of/mileage on these kinds of applications, mate...

12. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member