Looooong sustain - Santana/Moore-ish?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soulboogaloo, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Soulboogaloo

Soulboogaloo Member

Hey guys,
    it's been around 25 yrs that I play guitar, 99% of the time clean tone.
    However these days I'm chasing a tone, or better say a family of tone : the very very looooong sustain players like Santana or Gary Moore get.
    Before you start to say "it's all in their fingers", or "it's all in their amps", yes, I kinda know that.
    1. yes, they both have a huge left hand technique
    2. They both use hi-gain amps, cranked up, so that the power amp stage is breaking.

But what I'm looking for is... a pedal through the clean channel of an amp, go figure! I wonder which pedal could emulate the sound of an amp whose power amp stage is breaking, to get this long and sweet sustain.
    It's just an approximation that I'm looking for : Santana's and Moore's tone are not the same, and actually their note varied throughout the years anyway. But I assume what kind of tone I'm chasing anyway.

Btw, I must precise I expect to play those tones with my Mayback Lester 59 (a very nice replica of an LP), or my old 335, through my DV Amp head (full tubes, lots of headroom, Blackface-ish tone).

All your suggestions will be appreciated!

2. weenerdoggs

weenerdoggs What's Up Dogg?

Kaneohe Bay, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Earth...
    A good compressor might help you a lot. Often to get that kind of smooth long sustain you need a lot of volume and to be working the amp and guitar together, the amp feeding the strings, etc etc.

I know the sound you are chasing and love it, too.

3. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

yup a compressor, or a fernandes sustainer, or ebow.

4. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Amps, for sure, but maybe not in the way you're thinking. Raw volume helps a lot.

A Boogie (or a Dumble clone, depending upon the era) has tons of juicy preamp distortion, which is the basis of a lot of Santana's tone. Crank that puppy so the speakers and strings start coupling, and away you go.

5. Stephans

Stephans Member

Compressor, stacking 2 low drives and delay pedal
    Amp halfway open

6. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Big Muff pedals are good for that.... especially the Santana thing...

7. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Yep, chasing Santana for years lead me to the Empress compressor. A cheap mod to a DS-1 gave me the rest. Nailed.

8. alp

alp Member

Moore's sound is high gain Marshall, Santana's is Boogie. If you'll run into a clean amp i recommend a Blackstar HT Dual. It does Marshall and Boogie, high or low gain, 3 band EQ, flexible.. Might be a good starting point. Check out the demos on youtube, there are plenty..

9. shawnd2007

shawnd2007 Member

Any good examples of compressors for this specific application?

10. kdc113

kdc113 Member

Big Muff pushed by a Tubescreamer to get back some mids and get armonics. Lots of sustain, creamy and punchy, full body distortion, ideal for a clean chanel.

11. coolhandluc

coolhandluc Member

I'm doing it with comp into klone into MIAB. I find that gain plus midrange gets there fastest. Santana used the Mark 1 so I'd say the Flux Drive or Flux Five would work as well.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

For me it's my old JD-10's for those tones. At about 2-2:11 you'll see him switch pu and tone will go into a more Santana type thing. Tone knob always in play when doing these two artists. EQ section on these pedals are without compare. EQ so good there's way more than just those type tones in there, even setting it edge of clean and stacking other pedals into it and using that EQ is outstanding.

This going direct to DAW, sounds even better into a real amp. The later Award mkII models are like hunting unicorns but early Morley models, there's one on eBay now for $120'ish. I own both versions.

13. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

boss cs3, actually. very squishy/sustainy. WILL 'color' your tone. that's the POINT in this particular situation. the fernandes sustainiac is a really cool thing too, by the way. muff will also work for sure. rat can do it too. volume is a really big help. finding feedback spots on stage is also helpful. sometimes mark 'em off with a big x in tape on the stage!

lots of ways to skin this cat

and who skins a cat? where the f*ck did that saying come from?

14. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Love the MI Audio Tube Zone for smooth leads. Lots of flexibility in the mids.

15. hamerman55

hamerman55 Silver Supporting Member

I do really well with a Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head and Vick Audio Overdriver into a Tweaker 15 set to clean Marshall. Sustain for days.

16. AudioEcstasy

AudioEcstasy Member

As a huge fan of 'sustain' that you're looking for, and someone who has tried an endless number of drives, compressors, delays, and more I found the singular solution to more sustain:

TURN YOUR AMP UP. Dime it if you have to. :Devil

17. jordane93

jordane93 Member

A compressor will work

18. cas29

cas29 Member

Pigtronix Phiosophers tone gives you all the sustain you need.

When I had it, I used to do the Bowie Heroes thing. It was really cool.

19. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Trey Anastasio of Phish, specifically the early/mid 90s. He used a Ross compressor and 2 tubescreamers with sustain for days. A lot of people will point out his hollow guitar but that doesn't have a whole lot to do with the basic idea. I can get it with a strat humbucker.

I think he had it set below unity so his boogie amp could be turned up more.

20. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Most of the dimed amp pedals will get you there. I prefer Wampler's take on dimed amp pedals. I prefer this to the compressor idea, as that is a love/hate relationship... at least for me.