loooper.... or???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by µ¿ z3®ø™, Oct 24, 2005.

1. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

for my whole life i have run a pretty minimalist setup. usually just a tube screamer and a chandler echo. when needed (between songs) i'll patch in a vox wah or univox superfuzz, fuzz probe, whatever.
    i've resisted putting too many pedals on the floor because my tone (which comes from my fingers and output tube/tranny saturation just goes to sh!t.
    so i'm finally considering a loooper.
    are they truly transparent when in the bypass mode?
    do they need a buffer of any sort???
    is there a superior solution to the loooper that i haven't heard of?

2. britishampsrock

britishampsrock Member

they are straight up as true of a bypass as you'll ever get

3. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I think it depends on how hard you listen.

I have never found anything to sound just like guitar > cable > amp except... guitar > cable > amp! ;)

Now, if you are at present using a couple of pedals in line (including a TS, which if not modded will be a buffered anyway) then I'm sure you'll be happy with a looper. A good quality one will get you a sound that is as good as just one true bypass effect in line would. Still not comparable to straight in, but then you now have an extra cable and a true bypass box in line so I guess you can't expect into be.

If you look in to different types of loopers you'll find that some offer true bypass and have stomp switches like a foot effects pedal. Others are to be rack mounted and controlled by midi (which will let you do more complex switching of the loops) and may also have a (swicthable) buffer, which you may or may not find sounds better.

So do you want to keep the tone just like now with the TS and the Chandler whilst having more effects reday to go if you need them? If so, you'll like a (good quality) looper I think.

Chris

4. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

If you're a purist you're going to hear that looper no matter how transparent or "true bypass" it is

I used to go nuts over the same thing... Finally worked out a solution.... 2 rigs:dude

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

my absolute fave sound is w/ the guitar straight in to a radial JD-7 which distributes the sound to several amps. i LOVE the complexity of tone with multiple amps. i hear very clearly the differences in cables as well. for me, klotz works the best.
    i don't have a ton of pedals and when playing live tend to use them sparingly.

i have:
    ibanez tube screamer (vintage TS-9)
    univox superfuzz
    Z.Vex fuzz probe
    metasonix agonizer TX-1
    vox wah
    chandler echo
    vintage tone project dan armstrong orange crusher

i've been playing for over forty years (which is odd, 'cuz most folks put me at about 35. i'm 50) and have never had a 'pedal board'. i have ignored the whole 'board' thing until now and so i'll probably use this as an excuse to add a few pedals and sort the loooper thing out now. i've wanted something like a univibe for a long time and the keely OCD looks interesting as well as some of his other modded pedals.
    so is the loooper (www.loooper.com) a decent unit?
    or is there something else that is better/more transparent/more flexible???

6. Ryan

Ryan Member

I have a Loooper on my board. Works like a charm. David is a great guy, to boot!

7. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

unless someone else pipes up, i'm inclined to find out for myself.
    reasonably priced as well.
    a few years ago i was looking at boards that used looping technology. they were thousands of $$$$. apart from cornish, they are all gone the way of the dodo bird now.

8. Yek

Yek Member

Yes, check out Loooper or Loop-Master for custom solutions.

Several companies also makes small true bypass boxes (f.e. Keeley).

Then there's the D.Loop from www.lehle.com. I like that one the best: very sturdy, 2 loops, includes a buffer, MIDI if you need it. Or try the Little Lehle (1 loop, no buffer).

9. wopr

wopr Member

Is a buffer necessary?

I am also interested in a looper, but I use about 6-8 pedals. Would I need a buffer? The loooper would not seem that useful if I need a buffer to make everything "true bypass".

One other stupid question, and please do not put me in the corner now with a pointed cap, but the pedals that are in the loop, do they always remain "on".

steve

10. devbro

devbro Member

Check out http://www.pacificustompedals.com
    I've currently got a 6 looper on order. While not the fastest company to deal with, Ryan is extremely helpful.....And they're cheaper than anyone else.

Mine's supposed to ship this week. I'll report back on the quality.

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I have a brand new Lehle D. Loop. (2 loops with Buffer) that I'm planning to sell really soon. It's one of the best out there.

The buffer sounds incredible and it's switchable and programmable. It really makes a difference.

I'm making my setup simpler so I don't need it. Otherwise I'd keep it.

If you're interested let me know. I'll be listing on the Emporium soon.

jamiekoeth@hotmail.com

12. theHoss

theHoss Member

I use about 6 pedals, all quality and true bypass. I didn't think I need a looper, however I found a Doobe Microbuffer 2 on ebay, and boy does it make a difference. It's my secret weapon. I love it. Best $45 I have spent.

13. Yek

Yek Member

Necessary? Not per se. But the buffers I have (Axess BS2 and D.loop) certainly restore clarity in my setup. With two long cables (guitar > fx and fx > amp) plus lots of patch cables there always be some signal loss. A buffer helps preventing this. That goes for TB fx as well as non-TB fx! Of course a buffer doesn't make non-TB pedals true bypass.....

Pedals in the loop don't have to be on. Unless you're using a looper to (de)activate several pedals at once. But normally you only put non-TB pedals in a loop, preventing them from sucking tone when not in use.

14. muddy

muddy Member

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

think i'm gonna go w/ a 6 loooper.
    suggestions on a buffer???
    anyone???

16. theHoss

theHoss Member

I think the MagicBoy buffer is the best, but I don't think he is making them for a while. As a last resort I got a Doobe Microbuffer 2 (sp??), and love it. I found it on ebay for $45. Super small.....2"x2" .

17. devbro

devbro Member

Axess BS2....!
    Don't get a Valvulator unless you want you Wah to buzz

18. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

right down the road from me in the next town...
    PERFECT!!!

19. shuffle

shuffle Member

Yes a loooper is a good solution - and is 100% True bypass.

I often like to unplug all my pedals and use Guitar > Cable > Amp but i really think that this is a physcological excuse to make me feel 'at home'. There is no difference i find in my tone when using Guitar > Loooper > Amp (if looops are off) but my mind always freaks out and wants no pedals what so ever.

im sure someone relates to this...

BTW David is a great guy! Excellent service. www.loooper.com all the way!~

20. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

I can also recommend loop-master (www.loop-master.com).

Brian is a super friendly, super helpful guy with fast service and makes a great product.

I ordered a custom 3 loop pedal with additional master bypass and channel switching buttons and he had it to me within 14 days, and I live in Australia!

I've had the pedal for about 3 months now and it works perfectly. Couldn't live without it now.

Luke.