Loooper woes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moe45673, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey all.

I bought a 4 Loooper from Mr. Boggs. It took a hella long time, but it finally arrived today.

Naturally I was excited, so I plugged it in, ready to a/b pedals til the stars turn cold, when I wasn't getting any sound out of the pedal. I checked everything, and then started pressing the switches on the loooper. When I pressed the master bypass switch, I finally had sound! However, none of the loops would now work (The MB switch seems to be doing it's job). Turn off the MB, and my signal is instantly cut off.

Am I missing something?

2. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

If you email Dave, I'm sure he can help get it all straightened out. He'd be the first person to contact without a doubt.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

It should be noted that I don't doubt the quality of daves work in the slightest. I actually did email him first, but was wondering if perhaps I was doing something wrong. I posted here because I am impatient to start using this pedal, compounded by the fact that I'm extremely busy for the next little while, leaving me little free time to play guitar, plus it took over 2 months for me to receive it.

I'm not ragging on Dave, he was extremely nice and helpful about everything I asked him, but you'd have to be dead not to feel empathy for my frustration

4. ridecat

ridecat Member

I had the same problem with my Loooper until I realized that I had the in and the out switched. The in/out arrows can be confusing. I know that is simple, but see if that does it.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

thanks for your suggestion, ridecat, but sadly it's not the problem.

I tried playing with nothing plugged into the loops, just my guitar in the input and a wire going to my amp (and a DC connector). still no sound unless I hit the MB switch. I even tried switching the input and output wires. Same thing.

6. dosmun

dosmun Member

That would be the first thing I would check. I can't imagine all of the loops not working. Just start out with one at a time.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Even when none of the loops are on (All LEDs off), there is no signal

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

wait! I may have figured it out. Uno Momento while I try this out.....

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

*cymbal crash*

Yes!! I figured it out. Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is, the loooper works. The bad news is, not as I hoped.

As a favor to me due to the long wait, dave put in an extra input and output in between loops 3 and 4. I wanted this so I could put my true bypass pedals and my eq-20 (which is never off) in there, then put modulaters/delay in loop 4. It's the equivalent of a loop that is never off (so no footswitch or LED for it).

I realized there was nothing plugged into it while I was trying it out. Putting a wire into the input and output of this "loop" solved the problem.

The bad news is, the MB bypasses this! I never meant for this to happen, as I want it to be on all the time (my eq pedal is in there!). Ah well, guess I'm gonna have to hone my tapdancing skills :( Not a huge issue, but it does negate the MB switch, which I really was excited about.

Ah well.... I shoulda clarified this to Dave when I asked him for the jacks (which I offered to pay for, btw. Dave was the one who let me have them for free; you see what an awesome guy he is). Just one of those things, I guess. On the plus side, the loooper works great and I'm very happy to have it :D

Oh, and Dosmun, your post was my inspiration. thanks!

11. dosmun

dosmun Member

The middle loop could have been made with a switchable jack so if nothing is plugged in it still works.

The Master bypass has to also disconnect the middle loop. Basically the whole strip is like one loop to the Master switch. You would need 2 Masters to turn off the Pre and Post loops around the peramanent loop.

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

Why don't you put it before or after the loooper.

That's what I do with my SHO

13. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

If you were to use a 4pdt switch for the master BP, could it be wired to switch the two loops before and after the middle hard-wired loop, without affecting the middle loop - Like Moe wanted in the first place?

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I thought about that. But i have my wah, whammy and other pedals in the first few loops, then my distortions/boosts/EQ in the permanent loop. I wanted to use loop 4 for delay/chorus.

However, if putting my eq and boost pedals after the delay/modulation pedals would still sound good, then bypassing the permanent loop (which would basically have dist./OD pedals) would not be a problem. My concern is shutting off the EQ pedal, which takes my tone to other planes.

So, can anyone tell me if my delay/chorus pedals should be before or after my boost/eq pedals, and then my MB switch will be of use to me. Otherwise, it won't (and really, it's not a huge deal, I can survive without it).

15. dosmun

dosmun Member

Delay sounds best after distortion.

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I recognize this. Maybe I wasn't clear, but my distortion/OD pedals ain't moving. I was speaking about boost/EQ pedals before or after delay

17. amplifiedtorock

amplifiedtorock Member

I've dealt with Dave before and I bet he'd mod it to do exactly what you want with minimal hassle.

18. elambo

elambo Member

Dave is one of those classic great guys who seems VERY willing to make his clients happy. He has a lot on his plate right now with some personal things that I wouldn't wish upon anyone, so if he's taking longer than usual, I think he deserves some slack.

I also think it's bordering on bad taste to post "Loooper woes" on this forum and insinuate that you were sent a broken pedal before even talking to Dave about it first. It might give people the impression that Loooper pedals lack integrity, when in fact it was working exactly how it was designed to work.

Sorry, but in Dave's absence, he deserves some backing on this. You seem to have respect for Dave, and that's cool, but it might have been coming off the wrong way in your posts.

19. dosmun

dosmun Member

I didn't think the post had anything wrong with it. He was just asking some questions to get it up and going.

The probelm was that Loooper needed to mention that the middle loop needed a jumper. That middle loop should have been built with a switching jack so when nothing was plugged into it it would make the connection anyway without needing that jumper.

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I think I made it abundantly clear that Dave and his Loooper products are all top of the line. I know Dave was going through a hard time and was extremely patient with him. I mean, it's not like I needed the loooper right away, or anything.

I get that these single-guy businesses get a lot of orders, have a lot going on, and little manpower, so I wasn't too surprised by the long wait. Dave knows this and I didn't mind cutting him some slack, which he thanked me a number of times for.

Hell, one way he thanked me was adding in my special request for those extra jacks for free. It was a last minute thing, so if he didn't switch it to work without a cable plugged in, I don't care. If a point in the future comes where I won't need those jacks, I'll just stick a 6" cable in there, big hairy deal.

Anyhow, Elambo, my introductory post to this thread may have seemed a little disrespectful if you looked at it that way, but I clarified my position in the very next post, and other posts afterwards so I respectfully disagree with your position.

In closing, 2 thumbs up for Dave and loooper!

btw, elambo, is your name a shortened version of el mocambo?