Loop-Master Users: Tuner out & master bypass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DGDGBD, May 31, 2008.

1. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

If you had to pick just one, which do you think is a more valuable - the "tuner out" or master bypass switch? Obviously you can have both but I'm trying to limit the size of the four loop strip that I get. I would think the tuner out, but just looking for some different perspectives.

2. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Just a thought; if you went for the master bypass, you can always add a Micro A/B later on to act as the tuner out if you gained real estate or, maybe the Micro A/B could sit somewhere else on the board.

3. valen

valen Member

Couldn't you buy one with an extra loop and use one of the loops as a tuner out ? I mean do not connect the return cable of one of the loops so the signal is killed when that loop is on ? you would have to use the first loop for that. The benefit is that at any time you have an extra loop to use if needed.

4. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

The extra loop doesn't work as well as a dedicated tuner out. There would be bleed over.

I can however put a mini toggle switch for loop/tune mode on a loop so that it will correct this.

5. valen

valen Member

Is the bleed over issue because of the master bypass or would it be there on all loopers ?

6. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

It would happen on any passive loop. When you disconnect the receive end of the loop, and use that loop's send to a tuner, that leaves the amp's input open at the switch.

With a tuner out, it grounds out the amp's input. No bleed-over.

With a Loop/Tune toggle switch, flip it on for loop mode when using effects and flip it to "Tune" when using it for a tuner. (Again, this toggle switch is not offered by default but is rather a custom option)

7. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

So with multiple loop models with no master bypass, the signal goes from switch to switch, etc, even when when all are off, correct? I probably play half the time with no effects on, so wondering if there is noticeable signal loss from this.

8. Rubytuesday007

Rubytuesday007 Member

What i do is use an Axxess Buffer, which has an Iso out and a volume pedal after the buffer. My tuner runs off the ISO out and i just lower the volume on the pedal. Master out is the way to go in my opinion.

9. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Switch to switch when the master is off? Correct.

There is absolutely no difference at all. Greg Martin from the KY Headhunters swears he cannot hear any difference either way. He has a Triple Loop w/Tuner Out and Master Bypass.

10. ck00g

ck00g Member

I have both (6 loop). As much as I anticipated enjoying the upside of the master bypass, I haven't really touched it.

Off topic a bit...I wish I had asked for a custom tap tempo switch in place of the master bypass.

11. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

So far, I'm favoring the 'tuner out' option. Anyone else have any input?

12. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I would go for the tuner mute option. I've had a master bypass before and never used it. I see how it could be useful for some.... but I don't typically run that many loops that I can't just switch off in a brief amount of time. I do hit 2 switches at the same time often. Being able to completely mute my signal in one step is more important to me than going dry in one step.

13. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I had the Loop-Master 5 loop w/ master bypass & tuner out. I almost never used the master bypass out because I always seem to have something on. So I'd definitely get the tuner out.
    I've since gone to a Loop-Master single loop with tuner out.

14. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i would leave your tuner in chain and just get a 4 loop box. you can always connect the tuner to the last loop and add a return cable to 'mute' it. But i have come to enjoy my tuner at the end of my chain as a buffer instead of pulling it out into a looper.

15. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I ended up leaving both out of my 10 loop so i would have more room for other stuff.

I'm planning on getting a TB tuner anyhow.

16. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

If I had to choose one, tuner mute. I happen to use a micro a/b as a tuner mute and a separate dual loop box for 2 pedals. I have been very happy with my Loop Master products.