Loop Station..Best for sound reproduction?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AXEnGEAR4J, Feb 23, 2015.

1. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Looking for 3 main things out of a loop station for live use.

1. Sound quality

2. Recording Time

3. Stereo

I currently use a JamMan Stereo and I just don't like the sound quality and it only stores 30 minutes of stereo.

2. spiral

spiral Member

EH 45000 w/ footswitch

3. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

Boss RC-3 in the winner.

4. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

OP's current JamMan Stereo already kills the RC-3 on two of his three criteria... 24-bit recording vs. 16-bit; up to 16 hours of recording time (with 16gb SD card) vs. 3 hours (non-expandable).

For sound quality, you'll probably want to stay away from the BOSS loopers. They're serviceable (I use an RC-3 myself), but if you're really picky about sound quality you'll find them lacking. The EH 45000 is also still only 44.1k/16-bit recording. It's also CRAZY expensive, and adding the footswitch (which is by all accounts a must for live use), you're over $600. If you're spending that kind of money on a looper, I'd rather have the Pigtronix Infinity. You get better audio quality (48k/24-bit) while retaining the SD card expandability and stereo ins/outs you require. The Boomerang III is also very well-regarded, but at its maximum audio quality setting (48k/20-bit stereo) you only get 4 1/2 min of loop time.

Honestly, you're not going to do much better than the JamMan at that price point. If you want to upgrade the quality, you're going to have to spend Infinity/RC300/EH45000/Boomerang III money. If you're cool with that, the Infinity would be my choice.

5. AXEnGEAR4J

Yes the RC-3 would be going backwards. If I can find the right one and it's not just a minimal upgrade I would richen my budget for sure. I want to loop and have my recording sound like what I just played.

6. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

The Pigtronix Infinity is a great sounding looper pedal, better than the Jamman and the Ditto x2, IMO.

7. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk Member

The JamMan Stereo is also 16-bit. Not that I think the difference between 16- and 24-bit is necessarily discernible with electric guitar loops played through a guitar amp.

8. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

For the purposes of guitar looping, 16 bit will be indistinguishable from 24 bit. A 16 bit wave file can handle over 90dB of dynamic range, which is significantly more than we would be able to utilise in that situation.

As such, any discernible differences in sound quality between looping units are more likely due to the analog circuitry before and after the digital conversion within the looper.

I personally like and use a Boss RC30. When I was doing my research before buying it, I personally preferred the sound quality to the digitech (this may be a personal taste thing though - others might prefer the sound quality of the digitech). It also has stereo ins and outs, and can handle 3 hours of recording, so it might be a good option for AXEnGEAR4J.

9. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Supporting Member

Another vote for Pigtronix Infinity; after using both Boss & Digitech looper pedals in the past as well as the Line 6 DL-4, it was a big upgrade in the sound quality department and all the extra features are icing on the cake. The only problem is it is not the cheapest option, but I found mine for a decent price used on Reverb.com.

10. spiral

spiral Member

I wanted to suggest the Boomerang III as I love mine but it doesn't meet the time requirement, it also doesn't store the loops. It's much more of a creative performance looper & practice tool than playback machine. I run it on a stereo pedalboard and it sounds awesome.

The Infinity probably fits the OP's requirements. Pigtronix makes good stuff.

11. AXEnGEAR4J

The Pigtronix Infinity seems to be the one so far.
    Dang and I just missed one on my local CL for $240 :jo