Loop Switchers...... There is a difference

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member
I've run loop switchers on my board for a number of years now and have been through a bunch (Loop Master, Loop Switchers, Road Rage, and Voodoo Labs PX8). I just use simple switchers, no MIDI or anything complex, cause I don't like a switcher that's smarter than I am haha. I've had a few switch failures which the manufactures fixed (Loop Master and PX8) and had strange things happen such as a small amount of signal go through the circuit when I put a tuner on the first loop with only a send connection. After the third switch failed on my PX8 I finally broke down and bought a used Gigrig Quartermaster QM8. I've only been using it for a few weeks now but I was surprised at how much quieter it is. The PX8 (and I suspect other switchers) introduced a bit of noise to the circuit, and the QM8 just seems to sound cleaner. The soft switches are also so much nicer to use. I had a hard time spending that much on a loop switcher, but now wish I had a long time ago.

frails

Supporting Member
Agree with the OP 100%. I’m using a QM10, QM4 and a Loopy2 on my board along with a G2 and its perfecto! I no longer need the Midi8 or Pro-14. Gigrig stuff is worth the money.

sonichronic

Supporting Member
@ToneIsKing55
yep I have a switcher where if I don't have anything in one of the loops and engage it, it doesn't kill the signal fully. it still lets signal a little bit of signal through. I suspect this is because I have a Cornish buffer before the true bypass loop switcher. Did your tuner have a buffer?

8len8

Supporting Member
You are comparing cheap Chinese products (Joyo) with a more high quality switcher. Apples to oranges. I use the Joyo, but know it’s cheap and has issues (pops, tuner bleeding).

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member
You are comparing cheap Chinese products (Joyo) with a more high quality switcher. Apples to oranges. I use the Joyo, but know it’s cheap and has issues (pops, tuner bleeding).
I don’t think anyone mentioned Joyo, but if your using one and it’s working for you, that’s great. As stated in the OP I referenced what are considered some higher end simple loop switchers.

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member
@ToneIsKing55
yep I have a switcher where if I don't have anything in one of the loops and engage it, it doesn't kill the signal fully. it still lets signal a little bit of signal through. I suspect this is because I have a Cornish buffer before the true bypass loop switcher. Did your tuner have a buffer?
Interesting. How does the buffer affect this? I’m really curious.

mousepunk

To all loop switcher users: have you tried to record your guitar with all your pedals in a loop switcher, all bypassed, and then record the guitar straight into the amp? I think if you could do that you'd be very surprised with how good you guitar can sound without all those loopers and pedals between your guitar and an amp. Now this is difference! :) There is no buffer who could save the original guitar signal from degrading. Compensate - yes, but it won't be an original signal.

Abram4235

Supporting Member
I was using a musicomlab mkv for awhile last year and decided to simplify my set up and went back to a series type set up. My tone suffered a lot. My ear had gotten used to the buffers in the switcher and without the switcher it was dull as hell. Even with buffered pedals in my chain. I picked up an empress buffer plus and used the loop set up it has and my tone was so much better. I dont believe that all buffers are created equally and totally agree with the OP.

8len8

Supporting Member
I don’t think anyone mentioned Joyo, but if your using one and it’s working for you, that’s great. As stated in the OP I referenced what are considered some higher end simple loop switchers.
Wow, I must have been half asleep when I replied. I mistook PX8 for the Joyo PXL.

theSoyf

Been using a One Control Agamidae swircher for a while and it’s absolutely killer. Soft switches and can use both presets and IA
Just got this in the mail. No midi, but the price was affordable and it looks extremely well made. Also a very small footprint. The one with midi was twice as much, and I wasn't sure if I'd ever use it so figured I'd start with this. But now wondering if I should have gotten the dam midi because I just ordered the Volante :crazy

john l

Supporting Member
To all loop switcher users: have you tried to record your guitar with all your pedals in a loop switcher, all bypassed, and then record the guitar straight into the amp? I think if you could do that you'd be very surprised with how good you guitar can sound without all those loopers and pedals between your guitar and an amp. Now this is difference! :) There is no buffer who could save the original guitar signal from degrading. Compensate - yes, but it won't be an original signal.
This is a little like telling someone not to pet a burning dog is it not?

mousepunk

This is a little like telling someone not to pet a burning dog is it not?
I don't know what it means :) What if i tell you that the bear stepped on my ear? Russian saying :) You mean it's really obvious for everybody?

Just curious what loop switchers' users think about that. It was the bigest NO for me when I consedered migrating to the board with the loop switcher.

Trending Topics