Loop Switchers...... There is a difference

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member
To all loop switcher users: have you tried to record your guitar with all your pedals in a loop switcher, all bypassed, and then record the guitar straight into the amp? I think if you could do that you'd be very surprised with how good you guitar can sound without all those loopers and pedals between your guitar and an amp. Now this is difference! :) There is no buffer who could save the original guitar signal from degrading. Compensate - yes, but it won't be an original signal.
I am not sure why you'd use a looper if you were going straight into an amp. If your using effects pedals though it will sound better if you only route the signal through those being used at any one time, which is the point of a looper. So I guess I fail to see what point your trying to make in the context of using a pedalboard.

FbIsNotE

To all loop switcher users: have you tried to record your guitar with all your pedals in a loop switcher, all bypassed, and then record the guitar straight into the amp? I think if you could do that you'd be very surprised with how good you guitar can sound without all those loopers and pedals between your guitar and an amp. Now this is difference! :) There is no buffer who could save the original guitar signal from degrading. Compensate - yes, but it won't be an original signal.
Do you mean with all the pedals inactive via their own hardware and all the loops active? = the guitar signal is going through all of the pedals bypass circuits and the loop switchers active channels + buffer?

Or do you mean all the pedals active but all the loops inactive? = guitar signal only interacts with switcher.

Or do you mean all the pedals inactive via their own hardware and all the loops inactive? = guitar signal only interacts with switcher.

sonichronic

Supporting Member
try a Cornish buffer. the whole idea behind most of his kit is having the exact same signal as direct into the amp.

albeit, just putting one of his buffers in front and behind of any other gear won't completely solve all capacitance issues but if you were to use ONLY his gear it would indeed accomplish this.
he also offers an all tube buffered system.

mousepunk

I am not sure why you'd use a looper if you were going straight into an amp. If your using effects pedals though it will sound better if you only route the signal through those being used at any one time, which is the point of a looper. So I guess I fail to see what point your trying to make in the context of using a pedalboard.
You probably won't believe me but I have a pedalboard too :) Some effects became an important part of the sound I love. I was looking for the solution not to sacrifice the original guitar tone and use all the pedals I would like to but the switcher would not solve the problem. I tried only Boss ES-5 and MS-3 though.

Do you mean with all the pedals inactive via their own hardware and all the loops active? = the guitar signal is going through all of the pedals bypass circuits and the loop switchers active channels + buffer?

Or do you mean all the pedals active but all the loops inactive? = guitar signal only interacts with switcher.

Or do you mean all the pedals inactive via their own hardware and all the loops inactive? = guitar signal only interacts with switcher.
I meant the last but that doesn't matter actually. Every pedal and every buffer and every switcher adds its own set of resistance and capasity and affects the sound. Active or inactive.

try a Cornish buffer. the whole idea behind most of his kit is having the exact same signal as direct into the amp.

albeit, just putting one of his buffers in front and behind of any other gear won't completely solve all capacitance issues but if you were to use ONLY his gear it would indeed accomplish this.
he also offers an all tube buffered system.
I would love to try it some day :)

And this is exactly what I am talking about. There is no solution to avoid all the capacity issues in the chain. Once you add anything to your chain, you add capacity and it affects your tone. I know some of us just put up with it, and some probably even did not try to compare their guitar tone directly to the amp with the tone of the guitar through their pedalboard. But still, there is a difference and it is sometimes significant.

I have come to using pedals into the effects loop and plugging guitar straight into the amp all the time. Had to put all my drives and fuzzes on the shelf.

Coheed

I just got a used QMX8 and set it up today.
Oh man...I am going to have fun with this!!!
Super quality build, easy to use and with my signal chain shortened, I’m noticing the return of some highs; especially from my Euphoria.
Can not recommend it enough.

cbrown831

I recently purchased a 5 loop switcher from Loop Switchers. Great build, but I’m having an issue with it?!
When I engage the clickless relay switches there is about a half of a second signal drop out. It’s very noticeable when I am playing and switching at the same time.

Anyone else experience this type of drop out with a relay based switcher?
Thanks!

(Something)

I got my Road Rage loop switcher in 2011. I just dug it out last week for my most recent board build and it still works like the day I got it.

Not Orange

Silver Supporting Member
Straight into the amp sounds terrible. Too bright and harsh.

nkt275

I use the GigRig Quartermaster QMX6. Excellent quality. Wish I would have gone that road long before I actually did.

Ripthorn

I built my own with midi control a couple months ago. Uses soft switchesand only set me back about $50. I've got plans I can share if anyone is feeling adventurous, complete with the code, etc.

mousepunk

Straight into the amp sounds terrible. Too bright and harsh.
IMHO if the guitar sounds bad into the amp, then a) this is not a better guitar, b) amp is no good, с) the guitar and amp don't fit each other. Either way would not be good for me.

ToneIsKing55

Supporting Member
Well I have 2 loop switchers on my large board and the second one (a loop switcher brand) has been having more and more issues and gets noisier and noisier the longer I have it on. Replaced it with a QMX10 I bought in the emporium and bliss has returned. I just can’t believe how utterly quiet everything is now. I love the flip flop toggles as I run 4 Kingsley Preamps on the board so kicking one on automatically switches the others off. So now I’ve had failures on several brands in short amounts of time. The only 2 brands I haven’t had problems with are gigrig and road rage.

Mikeylapage

Well I have 2 loop switchers on my large board and the second one (a loop switcher brand) has been having more and more issues and gets noisier and noisier the longer I have it on. Replaced it with a QMX10 I bought in the emporium and bliss has returned. I just can’t believe how utterly quiet everything is now. I love the flip flop toggles as I run 4 Kingsley Preamps on the board so kicking one on automatically switches the others off. So now I’ve had failures on several brands in short amounts of time. The only 2 brands I haven’t had problems with are gigrig and road rage.
which version of the looperswitcher was it? you are talking about loopswitcher.com? was it the pcb, handwired or the clickless relay one? im about to have to buy one for the only reason of size...its the only 4 loop switcher i can find that will fit

adolan

I have an ES-8 and so far so good, once or twice I forgot that some older settings or PC/CC were still on a loop and it caused some weirdness with mixed messages to other midi pedals but aside I never hear any loss or degradation of signal. I have heard ppl say this and that about the ES-5 /8 but I cant hear it, my band cant hear it and no one else I know has said "Damn bro that ES-8 man its ruining yer tones brah!!" :p

Trending Topics