Looper for ipad?

major-minor

Been watching Jimmy Falan clips where he loops things with musical guests.

Anyone using the Loopy download on their ipad? Could be fun for working out harmonies, etc.

Blue Bee

It's seems to have great midi features, Can this Loopy be used in a pro setup or successfully run with a guitar rig?

misa

Silver Supporting Member
The tricky part of running with a guitar rig would be getting MIDI communication with low latency. Best would be if you were using an audio interface that includes a MIDI connection to the iPad (like Apogee Duet).

If not, one would think an audio interface for getting guitar audio into the iPad would be taking up the Lightning port and leaving MIDI to be a Bluetooth connection. I've been interested in getting one of Positive Grid's foot controllers to try for this, but I'm not sure if the latency would be detrimental for precise timing like looping.

Adrian Belew is involved in the upcoming Flux:FX app that is supposed to include looping among its many functions. Yet another app to look out for.

I'm saving pennies for a Keith McMillen Sofstep 2 for foot control (assuming it's USB Class Compliant) and an iConnectMIDI 4+ for the USB-MIDI connectivity.

I can report the Roland Duo Capture EX also works fine as a MIDI interface. Just tested it with iPad (no audio). No lag that I can detect - played my digital piano as the MIDI controller and Z3TA+ as the receiving softsynth. The only gotcha with the Roland is that you have to power it with batteries or AC adapter - you can't power it over USB from iPad. Fortunately, the Roland can be powered by a One Spot if you already have one of those.

So Loopy should have no problem receiving MIDI commands from a footpedal with no noticeably latency, assuming you have a working MIDI interface like the Roland.

CyberFerret

LoopyHD is the ants pants.. (that means GOOD! :D)

Within minutes of downloading it, my kids and I were doing some hilarious rap loops. I've tried it with my acoustic guitar and it is fun. When I get time, I am going to play around with the MIDI aspects...