Looper pedal for speaker cabs?

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone ever use a looper pedal to create twin parallel outputs for speakers?

The wire guage in the pedal is pretty small but it's also very short.

Waddya think?

pdf64

What do you mean by a looper pedal? If you mean a digital looper/sampler, you need to get your head around the kind of things that you can connect to amp outputs (ie speakers, attenuators etc, not pedals), and the kind of things that will drive speakers (ie amps rather than pedals).
If you mean just a splitter, 1 in 2 out, not switched, all wired in parallel, then that should work, though it needs wiring / cables which are suitable to carry line type power levels. Don't use a guitar cable to connect speakers.
If your amp has a tube power section, you must never risk the speaker circuit becoming open circuit.
Whereas if you amp has a solid state output section, you must avoid a short circuit on the speaker circuit.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry, should have been more specific. At's an A/B | A+B pedal. I want to run 2 8 ohm speakers in A+B mode which would run the speakers in parallel. Something I don't have the option for currently due to the single jack on the amp and on each of the speaker cabs. Of course I'll be using speaker cables. The concern is the 20-22ga wires used inside the pedal.

What do you mean by a looper pedal? If you mean a digital looper/sampler, you need to get your head around the kind of things that you can connect to amp outputs (ie speakers, attenuators etc, not pedals), and the kind of things that will drive speakers (ie amps rather than pedals).
If you mean just a splitter, 1 in 2 out, not switched, all wired in parallel, then that should work, though it needs wiring / cables which are suitable to carry line type power levels. Don't use a guitar cable to connect speakers.
If your amp has a tube power section, you must never risk the speaker circuit becoming open circuit.
Whereas if you amp has a solid state output section, you must avoid a short circuit on the speaker circuit.

wyatt

Sorry, should have been more specific. At's an A/B | A+B pedal. I want to run 2 8 ohm speakers in A+B mode which would run the speakers in parallel. Something I don't have the option for currently due to the single jack on the amp and on each of the speaker cabs. Of course I'll be using speaker cables. The concern is the 20-22ga wires used inside the pedal.
Since the jacks in the pedal are probably wired as a single hot lead a ground, it may not be ideal, it'll offset the load on the (+) and (-) side of the signal; speaker products are usually wired with dedicated (+) and (-) wires straight through.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
does anyone make a series/parallel box for plugging in a pair of cabs?

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
You could probably have someone make a box, but you don't want to switch it while anything is on or it could create a load on the transformer that's..well...bad.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
You could probably have someone make a box, but you don't want to switch it while anything is on or it could create a load on the transformer that's..well...bad.
Sure but does anyone already make something like that?

Trending Topics