Looper pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by georgeriley, Apr 22, 2016.

1. georgeriley

georgeriley Member

Hi guys im thinking of adding one of these to my board but what u need to know before i do is first would all my effects record onto the looper if engaged.Second the pedal doesnt have have a xlr input for mic.If i connect all the pedals to a mixing board could i record a mic to the looper via xlr from the mixer.Hope this makes sense thanks

2. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

Anything that is before the looper in the effects chain will get looped - so in my case, I have the looper dead last out of the entire pedal board so that any effect I add to my guitar goes into the loop.

As to the second question - I'm guessing most mixers output at either line-level or speaker-level, which is different from guitar-level so I'm not sure how successful running a mixing board back into a guitar pedal would be. Someone who knows more about this kind of thing might have to weigh in but my instinct is that you would be dealing with wildly different volume levels and "types" of signal.

If you want a mic on there too you might be better served by looking into loop pedals with inputs for both. I know I had an old Digitech JamMan that could loop both mic and guitar, it was super handy for this exact situation. Not sure what else is out there now but I think getting a different looper that does both would be a better solution than bringing a mixing board into things. Hope that helps!

georgeriley likes this.
  3. georgeriley

georgeriley Member

4. georgeriley

georgeriley Member

5. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

@MattLeFevers described what I do which is to put it dead last so anything you play wet or dry gets looped. I use the plain old mini Ditto looper and I can't tell you how valuable its been for writing or just adding ambient sounds here or there. I love it for writing parts that go together though!
    TC Electronic makes a Ditto looper that is specifically for mics if Im not mistaken. In my opinion, your best bet would be to keep a mic looper separate from everything else just to make things easier anyway.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  6. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I've been putting my reverb & stereo chorus after the Infinity looper so the effects aren't compounded with overdubbing
    I still have my analog chorus and delays and other modulations before the looper if I want a particular effect
    The stereo reverb and chorus after the looper are just for sweetening and widening anyway.
    I can add that sweetening to the loop later in the DAW if I decide to keep the loop for a project

7. georgeriley

georgeriley Member

so can i use a Ditto vocal looper and a Ditto guitar looper and get the same result?

8. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Yeah, it'd be good using two Ditto's 'cos you can keep the guitar loop going while you do a new vocal loop

9. voxylady

voxylady Member

I run a mic through a mixer into my pedalboard to let my son make wacky effects with his voice. I have no line level issues at all. I don't know if that means it's specific to my setup or just in general, but it works great. Then again, I am running it all out to my guitar amp, so maybe that's why there are no issues.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

If you get a true stereo looper, like Jamman or boss etc that have true descrete stereo ins and outs you can use it as dual mono, guitar and pedals on left channel out to guitar amp, feed from mic/board into right channel then back to board. That way what you lay down as vocals and guitars are going to separate playback systems but their always in perfect sync.

ObsessedGuitarist likes this.
  11. georgeriley

georgeriley Member

DaveKS im new to all this buddy do you know of any vids on what you just said?

12. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

+1 Yup, the Jamman Stereo also has XLR in for all sorts of potential mic stuff like voice, shaker, tamborine, percussive sounds, acoustic electric guitar that you want to add. A very cool feature along with DaveKS's comments.

BTW, definitely last in the chain for f/x.

13. manasquanto

manasquanto Member

The RC-30 and Jamman Stereo sound like they would be better options for you than having a separate looper for vocal and guitar. I have a TC Ditto mic looper, but if I had a separate looper it would be almost impossible to sync the 2 together.

If you have the Jamman Stereo last in the chain, you can have all your guitar effects before the looper. Then you can plug in your mic unaffected by the effects and have those sync up with the guitar parts, or vice versa, you start with a vocal loop and add guitar parts.