looper question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by parkerbro, Jul 22, 2006.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

so i just picked up a lofi loop junky. love it! the only thing is 20 seconds is too short for me. i play at home and want to record a short song or a full 12 bar blues to jam over. any suggestions? nothing too digital sounding. i just need simple. record and play over it. boomerang? maneco? boss? thanks!

2. Tprince

Tprince Member

I have a digitech jam man looper. It works pretty while, but be forewarned - setting up the right timing for starting and ending loops is a real pain in the ass, and it cuts treble. If you toss an EQ pedal after it, you should be okay.

A few minor flaws, but the best out there unless you want to blow $400 on a boomerang.

3. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I've got a BOSS RC20 XL, a couple months old that belongs to a friend of mine that he wants to get rid of, Your best bet for info would be on their site. If intrested email me at LJC800@aol.com. here's a link BOSS hope it helps

4. Medication

Medication Member

maybe wait for the new boss rc-2? it looks awesome! a small looper that seems almost as robust as the 20xl.

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1 on the RC-2...that thing DOES look awsome. Ive been wanting the lo-fi loop junkey for quite some time now, but also dont really like the fact its only 20 seconds, otherwise the stuff it does is really cool:)

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

The LoFi IS a very cool device.
    But for practical purposes, I'm gonna pick up the RC-2 when it comes out.

7. parkerbro

since the rc-2 is supposed to be just like the rc-20, can anyone compare the rc-20 and the jamman? thanks! also, does anyone know when the rc-2 is supposed to be released?

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

word on the street is october.

The RC-2 doesn't do everything the RC-20XL does, but for simple looping it should be enough. Frankly, everything I do on the RC-20XL is in the RC-2

9. Robertito

Robertito Member

A couple of things off the top of my head:

The RC-20XL does backwards loops and samples, and has a feature that will slowly fade the loop instead of cutting it off abruptly. It runs on a line lump, and can do samples as well as repeating loops.

The JamMan, from Digitech, has much greater memory, runs on AC, doesn't do backwards, and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't do samples (I might be wrong on that one).

Both have a very good sound.

10. drolling

drolling Member

The RC-2 should be out in October, w/a street price of $179 - It would appear to have 10 or 11 locations to store up to 16 minutes of material in its non-volatile memory (so you won't lose your loops when you power down, like w/the DL-4).

Line in for capturing riffs off a CD and the thing's got a primative drum machine, which is a definite improvement over that dweebish metronome tones the 20/20XL produce.

I think it also has a jack for one of those small BOSS switches, so you can step thru' the loops instead of bending over & fiddling w/that tiny knob.

There'll probably be obscene amounts of file compression, but you can usually get away w/that with a lo-fi signal source like guitar.

Gotta git me one - With that, my MicroCube & an Ebow, I plan to stun the fish right out of the river I live beside..

11. parkerbro

how does a boomerang compare to the jamman and boss loopers? i don't like the huge size, but other than that, what are the plusses and minusses?

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Boomerang 2 should be released very soon- smaller size, smaller price, more loops, stereo... should be on par with all of the features of the E-H 2880, which is expen$ive and really requires the foot controller pedal to be used live... I am really looking forward to the specs being released...

13. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

from a complete know nothing in this area;

- the Boomerang looks to be very intuitive and of good quality, BUT it doesn't store any sounds, correct? I'm looking for something very simple, but reasonably good sounding, AND want to be able play a pre- recorded sample (as well as using it for a practice tool) on the rare occasion i'll need it when playing out.

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I believe the newest version of the Boomerang (coming out later this year) is supposed to have storage capabilities. I think the current one allows you to save one loop, but nonetheless you'd be better off waiting for the newest version to come out

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Here's cut n paste from an email I got when I asked them about the new Boomerang:

"> I read that it will be:
    > -smaller size
    > -smaller price tag
    > -true stereo (I'm hoping inputs and outputs can be run in isolated stereo)
    > -more loops than original boomerang unit.

All true. We will be releasing an effects pedal and a new looper, the
    Rang(TM) III, around 1 Dec 06. The looper will have true stereo
    recording (completely isolated left & right), vastly improved audio
    specs, long record time, 6 loops, multi level undo/redo, multiple loops
    can play synched or unsynched, and a slew of "utility" features such as
    an octave down effect for creating bass parts, auto fade out, metronome,
    etc.
    We will insure that the pedal is as easy to operate and intuitive as
    the current one, but it will be deeper if you want to explore the new
    functions.
    It will be slightly larger than half the size of the Rang(TM) Plus!
    There will be no MIDI or USB connectivity.

> So, I am writing to you wondering when I can expect the next Boomerang
    > a) specs to be released and b) to be available for purchase.... ?

Final specs/feature set will be known by the fall (how's that for a
    squishy answer), and we are planning for delivery Jan 1, 2007.

> I understand if you can't divulge some of this I guess, or even a
    > ballpark estimate for the price, but it would be awesome if you could!

There are no guaranties on this pricing info, but... the retail
    (MSRP) price should be around $475.
    Maybe a little higher, I dunno."

16. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

So, there's no mention of storage? Can anyone comment on this unit (which looks good and simple to me) vs. the Boss RC20XL or Digitech Jamman? They seem to have a lot of features, but perhaps the quality isn't as good.

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I think the "more loops" part of his email means more memory storage.

The boomerang is the ultimate in easy to use, on the fly looping in a live environment. With memory features, it should get even more versatile.

The RC-20XL and Jamman are great for recorded loops. I love the quantizing feature, but I think the boomerang has that too. Also, the new boomerang is in stereo, which is huge for those stereo gearheads

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

actually, the "more loops" was from the email I wrote that was being replied to. It's going to have 6 loops (3 on a side stereo I guess, probably a couple/few different ways to run it). No mention of storage (I didn't ask, though).

Either way, it'll be a great unit for me, I want to just drop it in after the stereo outs from my switching system so that it can record the exact output and replay it right to the amps....

19. disguiseglasses

disguiseglasses Member

I love my Akai Headrush E2.
    Only 23 seconds, but it works beautifully.