Looper - Really ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, May 30, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I gig just about every weekend and have done so forever. Someone just brought to my attention "the looper". Anyone gig with one? How do you use it? What's the best one? I play classic and southern rock by the way.

2. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

I'm guessing you mean, looper as in: can repeat a recorded phrase over and over...? Not a true bypass looper...?

I play gigs fulltime, and I use a Looper sometimes...and always a Boss DD-20 which fills the role some.

I use it for background filler/pad sound....example: Band is staying on a static chord or a progression I can keep a common note through out.

I do volume swells to create a chord/sound that feels like a keyboard pad. I use volume swells so there isn't a tempo that has to be locked with the entire band.

As far as the best....I'm not going there...huge topic.

3. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Yeah, what he said. Also works well as an orchestration tool too... here's some spam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoiFTMkL8IY

Just done with a DD-20. Obviously solo environment, but it translates really easily to a larger group, and I've heard it used in almost every genre possible.

4. Fretts

Fretts Member

I'm partial to the Boomerang because it is performance oriented. It's big, it's OK to stomp on the switches and you can operate the mix control with your foot. Definitely does not tuck into a little pedalboard. Plus it's made in Texas.

5. Mincer

Mincer Member

Everything I do uses loops.. I have a few: Boss RC2, Line6 DL4, Boss DD-20 and Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro.

I am guessing with most classic and southern rock, you wouldnt need one- but you might find a way to sneak some in. For practice, I recommend every guitar player have one- you learn about arranging, layering tones, composition, and can practice soloing without any other pesky players around.