Looper, Recorder, Practice Tool. One pedal for all?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erikzen, Feb 3, 2015.

1. erikzen

erikzen Member

I'm looking for both a practice device that I can use with headphones that has some decent effects built in, as well as a looper for exploring song ideas and for some jams with another player, generally a bass player.

The looper will not be for live performances, although it would be nice if I had the option. Mostly this is for me to explore song ideas, practice and general noodling and noise making.

Was considering a couple of different pedals or devices but came across the Zoom G3 and it seems like everything I could want. Also considering the Digitech RP155 (pretty cheap right now on Amazon) as well as the Jam Man Solo XT, although the Jam Man would just be for looping and recording as I don't think it can be used as a stand alone practice device. I do have an amp with a headphone jack but also like the idea of having a single device for practice.

I could go with a looper like the Solo, and also get something like the Pocket Pod or V-Amp.

Strongly considering the G3 as it seems to cover every base. It can even be used as a DI box, if needed.

2. erikzen

erikzen Member

Just saw the Zoom G1on on Amazon for $50. Hard to pass that deal up!

3. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

It's a little noisy but the G1on is an absolute steal. The AIR effect when using headphones is really nice to help avoid that claustrophobic sound without having to drench your tone in reverb. The looper and rhythm patterns can be used at the same time, and sync'd which is really handy for working out ideas quickly. It sounds a lot better than expected...but the hiss makes it best as a practice tool instead of a live/recording tool. For $20 you can get the model with the expression pedal as well.

4. erikzen

erikzen Member

Not thrilled about the hiss. Any idea of the G3 has the same issue?

Then again, if I'm going to primarily use this to play with headphones, then maybe it's not a deal breaker.

5. 9520575

9520575 Member

Buy an interface for your computer and a DAW.

Or a zoom r8. Which is both a daw i/o as well as a stand alone recorder. Tap tempo for the drums too.

6. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

???

I just tried an experiment, recording straight effects, and the same effects with the looper, I recorded both with a guitar plugged in at normal volume without playing it, and with no guitar plugged in at all.

And... silence.

I'm running active pickups at 18v, to avoid compression, because it's better to only make the noise you intend to, as opposed to accepting that some gear just makes a noise and you have to live with it. (I think I hear those kinds of justifications here on TGP regarding various types of "unique goodness" like the DMM.)

So... what kinds of pickups and other gear are you using? I'm just trying to figure out if I happened to get the one G1xon which is free from noise, or if there are factors in your set-up besides the G1xon which are making noise.

Just curious!

Incidentally, my B1xon, B3 and G3 also make no unintentional noise. Weird, huh?

7. erikzen

erikzen Member

I've been reading a lot of good reviews on the G3. The only complaint I've seen is hiss, like the G1on. That said, I think I can live with some hiss for my desired usage. If I want to record guitar, I would probably just go DI anyway. I think I'm going to opt for the G3 over the G1on even though it's quite a bit more. But even at $150, I think this is going to be a tool that gets a lot of use, so totally worth it.

8. 22Top

22Top Member

Digitech jamman stereo is what I use for practice. I can run a mic in. You can save your loops, and with the sd card slot, you get a lot of recording time. So I end up using it as a scratch pad for song ideas too.

You can also load mp3s in there using the jamman application on your computer: I haven't tried this yet though.

I've also been really impressed with the RP360. I upgraded to the xp version. Works as an interface, and a modeler with a looper. I really like the sound check function with lets you record a loop then change the parameters of the preset so that you spend more time playing. It's surprised me how useful that really is. I've been messing around with it just trying to make presets based on my favourite songs because it's so easy.

I didn't think I was a digitech fanboy, but with a room full of boutique gear, those two tools are getting the most use these days. Having a new baby certainly plays a role but I will hang on to both of these tools.

9. erikzen

erikzen Member

Ended up getting a G3. So far I'm very happy but I'm still tweaking the settings. Sounds good for headphone practice, which is why I bought it, but good to know it can record though USB, as well as XLR. I'm thinking it could also add additional effects to my regular pedal board. Been looking for some good modulation effects, as well as better reverb.

I do think that I will want a dedicated looper at some point though. 40 seconds is enough for a little practice but I think I'd like to eventually get the JamMan Solo XT.

10. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

erikzen, ignoring when you're using a high-gain effect (because that stuff is inherently noisy), does your G3 add noise and/or hiss?

I'm just curious, because I've been using one of my G3 units over the [ast few days for some stacked delays and reverbs, and my G1xon for synth sounds, and haven't heard the hiss that ChrisVereb was claiming.

11. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

12. erikzen

erikzen Member

The jury is still out on that. There are definitely some effects that seem to generate more noise than others, and I've noticed a very low hiss even when all effects are bypassed. However, I have just started to scratch the surface of all the available sounds. It seems the noise gates can work very well, so not sure if some effects are very low noise because of the noise gate or they are just inherently quiet.

Certainly for bedroom noodling or practicing the noise is not an issue for me. I haven't tried to record with it yet, which is where I imagine a noise issue would be most troublesome. I don't find it any more noisy than my low watt tube amp and analog pedal board. It's just a different kind of noise.

13. xervinx

xervinx Member

İ recommend you use early refection at end and analogue delay before it with p-p settings.İt gives full sound and use parametric eq after amp.

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

The noise of the Zoom G3 is only created when gain stages are stacked one after the other. One example is a compressor set to boost a slightly dirty (or very dirty) amp. The pickup + gain stage noise is then compressed and amplified, just like in a normal guitar-to-amp setup. It's one of the side effects that the G3 is reproducing, and that's why you have three different noise gates (that actually work very well). You can also turn your guitar's vol knob to zero, as you would have to do again in a normal setup.

As for the answer to the thread title, my G3 plays these roles in an excellent way and I'm very happy with it. It also works great with an amp & as an amp+cab filter for any other pedals or bigger effects you would want to record or experiment with, by using your headphones without bothering anyone. The Early Reflections and the Air effects are among its best features, and have a fantastic ability to sweeten up in stereo any dry mono effect. The downside in my opinion is that it requires more experimentation than usual (in time & effort) to produce great tones, but once you're there it's set-and-forget.

15. erikzen

erikzen Member

Not really a downside for a "tweaker". I've had the pedal for a few days now and have enjoyed spending quite a few hours experimenting and dialing in tones. I guess the only downside is the lack of sleep. Haven't been to bed before 1 AM since I got the thing. :)

16. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

It's good to hear you're enjoying it! Another thing to note is that sometimes effects on their own or the traditional combinations (Marshall on Marshall cab, Twin on Twin cab etc) don't sound very good, but once you start adding more like parametric EQs, Spring and Air etc, tweaking them & most importantly using completely unorthodox combinations as your taste dictates (for example a HiWatt or a Plexi on a Dlx. Reverb cab, a JMI on a Tone City cab etc) then it starts to show how incredible it can sound. I'm amazed by it, and I've gone through a lot of gear... I really consider it one of my most useful & successful purchases. It even helped me calibrate down to the last dB all the head azimuths, levels and oscillations of my tape echo, due to being able to hear with a very high level of detail what was actually going on...