Looper (sampler) that is a creative tool not practice tool

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by abergdahl, Sep 10, 2008.

1. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Most looper seems to be for practice. I'm more interested in making music. I would like a looper where a can create a base loop that will slowly fade away (if I want it to). I want to be able to ever dub shorter or longer loops over the base loop. I also would like to manipulate the loops on the fly, octave, reverse, speed. I also find it CRAZY to have to looper before the amp, if I use a lot of distortion it will only be noise after a while (sort of fun, but not always). Perhaps the solution is many loopers, one before amp, one in effectsloop or after amp thrugh a PA. The most sensible looper setup i have seen described is splatts (David Torn). Is the Gibson unit still made??? that seems to be the best alternative...

2. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

I don't think the Gibson echoplex is still in production but they show up on ebay from time to time.
    I'm learning to fly a DL4 and an old Digitech PSD8000 together for some interesting looping...(yes, I admit it, I'm a Bill Frisell fanboy). It's harder than it looks, but can be inspiring (and frustrating).
    Have you tried looking around here: http://www.loopersdelight.com/loop.html
    Here's a roundup of (some/many/most?) of the loopers: http://www.loopersdelight.com/tools/tools.html
    Here's another comparison chart of many of the main contenders: http://www.looproom.com/looperchart.php

(Hey, you're the first self-identified bright I've run into...)

3. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

My DL4 was all tied up with delay sounds so I picked up a Headrush that I like a lot. I put mine at the end of the chain so I can loop a part and keep the sound intact while I change the sounds for a part to put over it. I never really used mine as a practice tool, but with my new band being a trio I've been using it to be able to add extra lines over certain parts of our songs (and it also helped us work out a new tune in a way we wouldn't have without the looper). Russian Circles does this to really great effect. It takes a ton of practice to be able to keep a whole band in synch with a looped part but the work has been worth it, it makes playing more interesting for me.

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but it might a similar setup if I were to stick a bunch of effects after the looper as well to minipulate the loops.

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

ive tried a bunch and several do a lot of what i want but none of them do everything i want. argh.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

The Boomerang + sounds like a good choice for you. It can't do octaves but can any looper?

6. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

The DL4's looper can reverse a loop or bring it down an octave.

7. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

re: the re-pitching of loops:

gibson EDP can do octave-shifts only.

electrix repeater can be re-pitched
    within 3 octaves (in 1/2-steps), or continuously.

lexicon pcm42 (& some other of the delay-based looping devices)
    has similar re-pitching capabilities to the repeater.

boomerang plus has 5 "slow speeds",
    pitching down-only, as far as an octave.

EH 16-sec delay et al.....

& etc etc etc.

dt / spltrcl

8. radcliff

radcliff Member

I'm back to the DL4 for this very reason.

It's quirky and creative.

9. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Really? Without slowing it down? That would be useful...I cheat and use an old EHX octave multiplexer.
    I meant to say the EHX 2880 looks pretty awesome for this stuff too.

EDIT: Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins) used to use Boomerang...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

For actual artistic use, I really like the Boomerang. The one box, one or two button loopers are too complicated to use in the heat of battle (including the 2880, which I played with for 15 minutes and couldn't get a sound out of it, the Boomerang I was up and looping in the length of time it took to plug it in).

11. seiko

seiko Member

The stereo mem man with harazi does a lot of this

12. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

If you can find an Electrix Repeater....you'll be having tons of fun!!

13. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

Although it gets not a lot of love here, my first choice would be the Boss RC-50.
    Check out what artist Rico Loop does with it.

14. starfish

starfish Member

I've never seen him use a Boomerang but he has used for many years a Lexicon Jamman rack unit, two of them and an Electrix Repeater. Last year he bought a Boss RC-50 but that hasn't made stage appearance yet. No idea if the new film soundtrack 3:19 features the Boss or not. Maybe the Boomerang is used as a sketch pad, not live?

Great taste in music, BTW. :)

15. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

another pedal to consider is the pigtronix echolution. i was a big digitech pds8000 and pds20/20 user until i discoverd this pedal--it's a PDS killer.

it's a sample/hold looper--so it's not good for conventional looping, but it is amazing for coming up with more random loops.

--up to 12 seconds of looping (the pds' could be tweaked, but usually couldn't get much more than 8 seconds before getting really bit-crushed and noisey)
    --footswitchable reverse
    --a ton of multitap options, the Phi function is actually VERY cool, useful.
    --chorus (pitch modulation)
    --tremolo
    --pitch manipulation with the delay time knob (or expression pedal)

anyhow--this pedal is excellent for creating ambient loops, experimental stuff. i use a headrush for more straight forward phrase looping. but even as a straight up delay--the echolution is pretty schweet.

16. simeon

simeon Member

hey, don't forget the Looperlative too!

http://www.looperlative.com

8 stereo loops...intuitive and comprehensive midi control...works in a line level environment (not before the amp)...change pitch/speed of loops...reverse....auto fade out/in...two aux outputs...lotsa other stuff too!

sim