Looper with drum beats

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JasonB5232, Jun 16, 2017.

1. JasonB5232

JasonB5232 Member

Wondering if anyone has a looper with drum beats or using a looper (with Midi) and a drum machine. I have a Ditto looper, but would love to have sync'ed drums. Boss RC series seems like it would be a fit, but wanted to see if anyone else had recommendations.

2. songtalk

songtalk Member

The only way to really do this is a pigtronix Infinity Looper (or ditto x4) a midi cable and a really nice drum machine. Otherwise you're selling yourself short every time.

aisling and Strife_D like this.
  3. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

Digitech Trio+ generates Drum and Bass lines based on the chord progression and rhythm you enter into it, and it also has a looper built in.

BOSS RC-3 has 9 drum sounds programmed in but I only really use 3 of them. Not pro level drum beats but nice for keeping time (also has a half-step beat).

I'm willing to bet the Pigtronix Looper is really good. I own a Pigtronix pedal and it's amazing.

4. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

The Digitech Jamman is good for this. It has crappy rhythms built in but it has a quantize feature, so easy to run a drum machine into it and keep your loops in time.

The Zoom G1on works as a basic cheap looper with some good drum beats that sync to the looper.

xcc and JasonB5232 like this.
  5. denmalley

denmalley Silver Supporting Member

My rig includes an Alesis SR18 with midi clock out to a Boomerang III. I have not used this to gig with the drum machine in the main mix, but I have used it along with a boss FS-6 footswitch to allow me to tap the tempo, start the beat (which goes to the monitors as a click), and sync my loops to our drummer on-the-fly. Works great for this. We used to try looping without the click and sometimes my loops just get lost in the mix and we drift off the beat. With the click the drummer has something to easily latch onto and it keeps my looper in time with him.

I am still working on this in practice, but I am working on using the drum machine in the mains for solo/duo stuff, since I can not only do the start/stop/tap but also add fills using the footwitch, all while staying synced to my loops. My biggest hurdle right now (which is more a matter of spending the time on it) is just getting a bunch of different rhythms either programmed or selected from stock to match with my existing setlist.

JasonB5232 and songtalk like this.
  6. Rai

Rai Member

+1 for the Trio+
    Drums, bass, looper with option to program 5 parts of the beat (for whatever the song requires - intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc.)

FokenBusker likes this.
  7. songtalk

songtalk Member

Yes. Exactly. Didn't know the rang could midi sync. That's awesome.

8. JasonB5232

JasonB5232 Member

I keep hearing good things about the Infinity. The Ditto x4 I'd read that it didn't have Midi sync. I don't read the dates on threads often enough so I could be way off there.

I keep looking at this one, because it has basically what I'm looking for. A friend suggested he liked the RC-2 better. Go figure.

I'll take a look at both of these.

I'd love to go this route, but outside of my budget at this point. I'll keep dreaming.

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

To me there's nothing worse sounding than polluting my guitar amps limited range speaker with bunch of bass drum and cymbals that are well out of range of what that speaker was designed to handle. It's makes both your guitar and drums sound like crap. If your gonna use a drum machine give it its own sound system, if not a pa feed then at least a 2.1 home computer speaker system. Anything other than trying to make that single guitar speaker cone move in 3 directions at once. All that gets you is mud.

StormJH1 likes this.
  10. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

ableton live if you you are inclined to play with a laptop

11. thejbs

thejbs Member

I have an RC-3. It's ok, but not great. I wouldn't recommend it. Save your money for something better.

12. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Just FYI the JamMan SoloXT has drum patterns and samples by Pat Mastelotto.

13. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

The drummer from Mr. Mister? I take it all back!!!! :)

14. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

ive got an rc3 I never use. its awkward to use and the drum patterns are terrible. they all remind me of bad 90s videogame music. like a Japanese cartoon version of each genre. or maybe what rock music sounds like to someone that heard a rock n roll song 10 yrs ago and is trying to recreate it from memory using very bad sounding technology. I love boss, too. that pedal just sucks.

15. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Broken Wings baby!

Nevets likes this.
  16. mamm7215

mamm7215 Member

I have an rc-300, it has quite a few decent beats. More than the rc-30. Trio+ would be what I would get if buying now.

17. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer

Definitely Trio+. I have one and it's a real game-changer for the solo hobbyist like me. You can dial out the bass if all you want is drums. So versatile, a real no-brainer purchase.

18. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

BOSS Loop Station. Never use the drums.

19. Rai

Rai Member

Yup I hear yah. True.

The Trio+ has the option to output the drum beats to another amp/PA. My guitar sound goes to the amp and the drum beats go to my full range keyboard amp.

20. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

I certainly agree with you, which is why the Trio is so good. It has two separate outputs, one for the guitar's amp and one for a mixer. I just plug the mixer jack straight into a bass amp. The guitar signal goes out through the amp connection, and the drum and bass lines go out into the bass amp. Both the drums and bass sound great on it.

edit: To clarify, it separates both signals. Should have said that originally.

Rai likes this.