Loopers for Practice - Possible Exercises?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bluesun, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bluesun

bluesun Member

Been reading all the old threads, figured I'd just ask again for an opinion.

1) Is a looper really that great for improving? What are some good exercises I can do with a looper?

2) What's the simplest one to use for practice? The choices as I understand it are:

*Line 6 DL4 - Easiest to use, as it has 4 separate buttons for looping. 23 seconds. Maybe slightly older technology now. Is 23 seconds enough?
    *Akai Headrush 2 - 23 seconds of looping, slightly shorter amount of time for overdubbing, probably one of the easier ones to use after the DL4. Easy to use live.
    *Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai - 30 seconds of looping, maybe kind of annoying because you have to hold the record button down.
    *Boss RC-20XL - Long record time, same functionality as the RC-2. Has more pedals, so probably easier to use.
    *Digitech Jamman - Long record time, has a lot of presets.
    *Boss RC-2 - Long record time, kind of annoying to use live as you have to do some kind of double-tap to stop recording.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Zero G

Zero G Member

Yes, a looper is a fantastic tool for improving your musicianship on the guitar (technique, theory knowledge etc). I have a Boss RC-2 for practice at home. It's a bit tricky to use live so I just use it for practice. There are many exercises you can do. I mainly use it for improving ear training, fretboard visualization, phrasing, and note choice playing scales, arpeggios and licks over rhythm chords. Things like superimposing triads can be fun as well. Lately I've been having lots of fun playing Dorian modal vamps and improvising over top of the chords. I highly recommend getting a looper.

:rockin

3. aion

aion Member

The Boss DD-7 is a good looper as well if you want to keep it simple and multifunctional. 40 seconds.

4. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Excellent simple looper.

Playing over chord changes is the best thing you can practice with a looper.

5. p.j.

p.j. Member

Actually, the DL-4 has 28 seconds maxed, not 23. I have both the DL-4 and a Jamman and I find the Jamman invaluable for recording song ideas and practicing. It can have over 6 hours of loops w/ a memory upgrade and comes stock w/ a bit over 20 minutes. 99 loop locations. Extremely cool! I love the DL-4 because you can do all the Frizellian things like speed up and slow down your loops or play them backwards. As a practice tool I find it kind of limited but it is great for live improv.

=-) PJ

6. rrhea

rrhea Member

I don't use a pedal looper, but rather a dedicated computer in my guitar room. Playing over loops and backing tracks is one the best and fastest ways to improve your playing... and, of course, joining a band and/or jamming with other people is another way.

I would even argue that both those scenarios have advantages and disadvantages and that both should be done as regularly as possible.

RR

7. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

+1 on looper for practicing improvising. It never gets tired no matter how many times I miss the change. I'm happy with my Jamman.

8. Sammo

Sammo Member

I love to jam with M13's looper (max 56 seconds of looping, 2.01 version has octaver for bass parts etc.), but I use Lexicon MPX-G2 when I really want to torture myself.

I have programmed a patch that has delay time and metronome sync'd, so I can set metronome to desired bpm and select how many beats the delay will play back (i.e. 16 beats equal four bars). It gives instant, honest and sometimes brutal feedback how I am really doing.

I should use it more often.

9. medblues

medblues Member

Nobody mentioned Boss RC-50. It is not as simple but gives you three loops and ability to backup to your computer. Is there a users forum or webpage (looper's delight links are not useful mostly discussing live use problems) that discuss using it for practice ?