Loopers (Phrase Samplers) that don't suck tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shawntp, Aug 26, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

Hey folks - I know there are lots of loopers out there (Line 6 DL4 JM4, Boss RC, JamMan, 2880, HeadRush, Boonerang, etc). Myself - I've been using the Lo-Fi Loop Junky for some at home fun.

My question is - what loopers have you found can sit in your signal chain without killing your guitar tone?

I have experience with the BOSS RC series that I didnt care for because as soon as I plugged it in my original tone got killed - unloaded it quick. I've since tried the ZVex Lo-fi loop junky which is great (obviously recorded tones are not high quality) but my main guitar signal (a Klon into a Carr Amp) sounds untouched. Only problem with the Loop Junky is its a one-trick pony for looping.

I was wondering if you guys who are really picky about tone have found any of the above loopers to not screw with your main guitars tone. As far as the recorded loop - most/all of them record digital so there is going to be some change but I mainly want something with a decent loop record but that doesnt change my main signal tone at all (either when the looper is off or when I am playing leads).

I know the Line6 stuff and the Boss RC's do not do this from personal experience (i.e. you can hear when they are in the chain).

I basically want to add a "Hi-Fi Loop Junky" with a little longer record time.

2. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Try the boss dd-7...it doesn't seem to be doing bad things to my tone and it gives me over 40 seconds of "high-fi" looping.

You can also control the loop volume with an expression pedal.

3. shawntp

shawntp Member

Ive been reading around on other forums and the only two units that seem to be really geared towards higher quality seem to be the Electro-Harmonix 2880 and the Boomerang 3 (which is all speculation as I understand - but people seem to have an expectation of sound quality).

Anyone use a 2880 or Boomerang that can comment on what it did to their guitars original signal?

Also seems like the head-rush is an option but its got a relatively short record time like my loop Junky. From there all the Line 6, Boss, Digitech stuff seems to imprint some sound alteration when you stick it in your chain from my reading thus far.

Any real users feel free to chime in - ive only owned a Boss RC unit.

4. shawntp

shawntp Member

Ill have to check out the DD-7, I didn't know you could loop with that pedal.

I know Analog-Man can do mods to those - Ill have to look into it more. 40 seconds is decent (enough to get through 12 bars which I cant do on the Junky unfortunately).

5. theroan

theroan Member

The Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai has 30 seconds of loop time.

Check out what is can do man http://ehx.com/2008/

6. seiko

seiko Member

Loop Junky is still the best I've tried for distinguishing between the loop and standard guitar. The EH units don't 'suck tone' in bypass but they will cut perceived tone when looping, simply the nature of the beast.

7. shawntp

shawntp Member

Yeah - the loop Junky sounds amazing - especially for ambient slower fingersyle backing loops where you can really get that warped record feel.

Maybe the definition I get from the Junky is two-fold from the separation of the main/background and also that it passes through the main signal without much if any change.

I think I need something like a minute though - It gets boring playing over the same 15 second loop after a couple minutes.

8. snarkle

snarkle Member

My best results so far have come from the Digitech JamMan...doesn't seem to alter the signal in any noticeable way.

I HATED the Boomerang, which just seemed to kill my tone, although mine was an early example.

I just built a backup pedalboard as an alternative to my big mothership unit, and I used a first-edition Akai Headrush that I had kicking around...it sounds surprisingly good.

9. KBN

KBN Member

I have a Digi JamMan and I have to agree that it isn't terribly noticable. I do keep it in a bypass loop though and you can hear slight differences if you really listen for it, but not bad. The only complaint I have about the JamMan is that it could stand to have a bit more headroom. It is a good unit though.

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Maybe you should put your looper of choice in a bypass loop? Then your bypassed tone will be fine.

11. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I think the new digitech Hardwire pedals has a looper/delay pedal, and I believe they are all true bypass. That might be a decent option.

12. shawntp

shawntp Member

Interesting - I just checked out the Digitech Hardwire ....only 20 seconds though.

There seems to be a void for specifically what I am looking for.

~1 minute record time, basic operations, & dont mess with my solo-ing tone! Ill have to check the JamMan and see if its better than the RC - every time I plugged the RC in my tone went - bleh! I noticed comments in the MusiciansFriend reviews that the JamMan sucked tone...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  13. hecticone

hecticone Member

I use the rc-20xl in my effects loop. But with it out front did not care for it.

14. Peeb

Peeb Member

Bummer about the RC. I have one (an RC2) but not "effects chain" to speak of- just podxt to the rc to the amp.

15. shawntp

shawntp Member

I keep searching on other sites but the only leads are the EHX 2880 and the old Gibson Echoplex digital (both of those rigs are pretty big). I dont need the complexity - just their record time and sound quality in a smaller package. The HeadRush might work - I just feel like Im still going to run out of space though.

The Boomerang III seems like it could do the trick if it ever arrives.

Anyone have any experience with Maneco Loopers:
    http://manecolooper.tripod.com/