Loopers

JSopp

Hey guys!

So I've been looking at loopers recently because i feel like they can really help me improve my playing.

I've never had one before, so I was just curious as to what everybody thinks. I definitely like the Ditto by TC Electronic, but saw a couple of other contenders like the Digitech Jam Man.

Anybody have any thoughts or insight as to favorite loopers/qualities/brands? Just looking for some additional info.

JSopp

What features do you need/want/feel curious about?
I definitely want to use it for practice purposes. I don't really need tempo warping, drum machines, or anything like that (in fact I think it will actually improve my tempo if I punch in and out myself).

That's why I was originally drawn to the ditto. Stupid simple to operate, which is fantastic. I just wasn't sure if there are any other brands that build a similar style looper.

Everything else just seems like overkill unless you're using it live IMO

kbee

Silver Supporting Member
I've been exactly where you are, it is tough to find something simple.
My solution ended up being the newish EHX Nano 360. I chose it over
Ditto because it can save up to 11 loops. It is in the mail from Prymaxe
so I can't say yet how well it works. I had also been considering
holding out for the new Boss RC-1, which would be my next
choice if the 360 doesn't work out.

Good luck in your search.

DecoWaves

Gold Supporting Member
I use the Ditto X2 Looper every day ... mostly for fun and practice at home. I find the extra button allows for a more simple and precise usage -- especially when playing out at parties. The effects are sort of just a bonus that I haven't really used at all.

I was looking at the Boss and Digitech Loopers and liked the aspect that you could save and recall various tracks but in the end, I felt that part of the fun was to build the track each time (which certainly in itself is the art of practice). As a bonus, it also felt more genuine and less karaoke when playing for friends.

As much as it would be cool to simply press a button and have a background track playing, there is something more to the process (like art) that requires one to pick and choose how they will incorporate the looping effect into a live performance. For instance, recording the chordal progression for a verse and then turning it off to play the chorus, then kicking it back on to solo over. Etc ... Etc ...

benjammin_

weird--for home use, i want all the features possible that can be crammed into a looper. i've gone through a Boomerang and Pigtronix, and have been using the RC-30 for a while now. that said, you cannot go wrong with the ditto :]

JSopp

I use the Ditto X2 Looper every day ... mostly for fun and practice at home. I find the extra button allows for a more simple and precise usage -- especially when playing out at parties. The effects are sort of just a bonus that I haven't really used at all.

I was looking at the Boss and Digitech Loopers and liked the aspect that you could save and recall various tracks but in the end, I felt that part of the fun was to build the track each time (which certainly in itself is the art of practice). As a bonus, it also felt more genuine and less karaoke when playing for friends.

As much as it would be cool to simply press a button and have a background track playing, there is something more to the process (like art) that requires one to pick and choose how they will incorporate the looping effect into a live performance. For instance, recording the chordal progression for a verse and then turning it off to play the chorus, then kicking it back on to solo over. Etc ... Etc ...
Well said. That's why I like that the simpler units just give you the tools needed to build the loop - but the build itself is entirely up to you and your ability. No cheating so to speak

JSopp

I've been exactly where you are, it is tough to find something simple.
My solution ended up being the newish EHX Nano 360. I chose it over
Ditto because it can save up to 11 loops. It is in the mail from Prymaxe
so I can't say yet how well it works. I had also been considering
holding out for the new Boss RC-1, which would be my next
choice if the 360 doesn't work out.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks! I'll be sure to check out EHX, didn't even think of them. They got some good stuff for sure.

JSopp

weird--for home use, i want all the features possible that can be crammed into a looper. i've gone through a Boomerang and Pigtronix, and have been using the RC-30 for a while now. that said, you cannot go wrong with the ditto :]
I used to be totally into feature-packed pedals, but I find that I never have the patience to fully learn them haha. Call it laziness I guess :dunno

DecoWaves

Gold Supporting Member
I have used the Ditto X2 to record various samples -- as if recording my brainstorming on possible songs -- and then used the USB/Sync capabilities to copy the tracks to my computer for future reference. I have also downloaded and played full background tracks a few times just for fun. Note: While one theoretically could -- this is rather clunky if you were try to load tracks while performing for others. You have to copy and sync and then disconnect the cable each time.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
Any looper will be fine for this purpose. Personally, I like the storage/multiple tracks thing on something like the Boss.

The Ditto is also as simple as advertised..

I also recently picked up a Hotone Wally which is somehow about half the size of the regular ditto.

Heck, even the looper on something like the Flashback might serve your needs just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking at loopers myself and am gravitating towards either the TC Ditto X2 or the Boss RC-3. I can't decide if I want to be able to save loops (Boss) or not (X2).

A word about the looper on the Flashback X4 since I have that. It only records 40 seconds, which is way too short for me. Also, I prefer to have my reverb pedal after the Flashback, and if I change the reverb setting on what I play over the loop it affects the reverb for the loop itself, which I don't like. Having an independent looper last in the chain would solve that problem.

Akai Headrush used, although the Ditto probably serves you much better. The Akai does not have much time to save but it's very user friendly.

Semitone

I have the previous ( non-stereo) Digitech Jamman Solo that I got as a closeout and I think is great. Some of the features I love are:

1.) I can put in a SDHC card and record many hours of loops for practice including pretty long individual loops.

2.) I can load backing tracks or drum tracks and play over them.

The things I am not a real fan of are:

1.) It's not stereo ( but it was $99 new so how much can I complain?)

2.) Using a single foot switch is pretty cumbersome. Not sure I would want to use it in a live situation.

Trending Topics