Looping a multi-fx (pedalboard content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rabbit, Oct 28, 2005.

1. rabbit

rabbit Member

Actually, I am pretty happy with my current simple pedal live setup (vol – tuner – od), but now and then I´d like versatility and strange sounds. So I thought about looping a quality multi-fx unit - like the Boss GT8 or Line6 xt live - into my pedal setup.

Does anyone of you loop a mulit-fx and how does it work for you?

2. rabbit

rabbit Member

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

i have never used one, but what about a line6 mm4? i used to have a podxt live, but just didnt like lugging 2 pedalboards around :), but you can get some crazy sounds out of it with enough tweaking, i got tired of tweaking though.

4. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

I sometimes put a GT-6 or Podxt on one side of a A/B/Y box with the other side direct to amp or through a few simple pedals. Haven't had any problems as long as all levels are set correctly.

5. rabbit

rabbit Member

Oh yes, the mm4 would cover a lot of ground and it would be half of the way to the maximum versatility of a GT or XTlive.

Size really is a matter for me, too. I thought about adding a second level the multi-fx might sit on, which can be added to the board when needed. The second level would have about the height of a (stairway) step, under which the pedalboard could be pushed beneath. You know what I mean?

6. rabbit

rabbit Member

That is an interesting way to do it, thanks. I do not use two amps so this would not work for me. Do you use it dedicated to clean tones at A and dirty tones at B, for instance?

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

i know what you mean, and some pedal board makers have designs like this one. but of course it would be much easier and cheaper to do it yourself. but if you get a podxt live why carry a pedalboard around, just use the xtlive!! i used to have my xtlive hooked up to a cheap solid state peavy with a "line in" jack on the front of it that bypassed the eq and pre amp which means just the line6 tone and the speaker tone came through, which the speakers were pretty flat. so i used the xtlive's cab simulator and man that tone was great!!!!

8. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

The amp must have 2 or more inputs. When trying this through two separate amps you can get a ground loop going that causes undesirable noise. Those amp switcher units like the Voodoo Lab are expensive for a reason. My A-B/Y is a simple, non-grounded unit.

9. rabbit

rabbit Member

Yeah, that´s what I thought, too; initially. The reason is I like my tuner, volume pedal and od better than those of most multifx units. But the GT8 (the only one I checked out among the two mentioned) gets very close here. I´d really like the "amp control" and solo boost feature... actually these boards offer more than I need, they are a real alternative to a stompbox-pedalboard!!!

Any other multifx that I should take into consideration for these mentioned purposes?

A smaller unit with (of course) less switches, controls and features would be ok, too. (Too bad that my old Zoom 9002 does not work properly anymore, it is small and delivers some trashy sounds :p)

[​IMG]