Looping Arrangement - Need Some Practical Advice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToTheAtom, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ToTheAtom

ToTheAtom Member

Now that the funds are available, I'm setting up a modest rig for playing alone at home. For a variety of reasons, I just placed an order for an Avid Eleven Rack w/ Pro Tools 10 and a pair of iKey Audio M-808 powered monitors.

When the right tools are available, I spend a lot of my time with the guitar messing around with ambient-style looping. That said, I'd really like to set my rig up to make this a continued possibility. However, I can't afford everything I'd like, so I'm faced with two distinct options:

Option 1 - Purchase a Boomerang 3 and call it a day. I've used it before, it's great fun and I know it works well for what I like to do. However, the downside here is that the loops are only temporary.

Option 2 - Use the money that would have been spent on the Boomerang (plus a little more) to purchase a decent laptop with the idea being to lay down tracks on Pro Tools with the 11R and then play them back through the monitors while I jam along - sort of a makeshift looping arrangement. This is obviously much less intuitive for spontaneous playing, but the huge benefit is that it opens the door for me to experiment with home recording (my current laptop is, unfortunately, unfit for the job).

As I mentioned, I can't afford both and each option has its pros and cons. What would you recommend? Is the second option even a practical alternative to the Boomerang?

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

2. cheameup

cheameup Member

For option 2 I'd be thinking of ableton live more than protools. I like protools in the studio but I don't know about it as a live tool.

Keep in mind anytime you get on stage with A laptop your open to tech problems. I've done it a with a few different projects and never had a complete failure but have had hiccups and it's not a good place to be on stage.

Hardware like the boomerang is way more stable

3. ToTheAtom

ToTheAtom Member

Thanks for the input. This would just be for home use.

4. cheameup

cheameup Member

Ah. You can't beat having a home recording set up if you like layering and workin on ideas.

While boomerang is a great practise / live tool

For home use I'd go laptop every time

5. zenkick

zenkick Member

+1 for Ableton Live if you want to capture, loop and manipulate in real-time.

6. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

Also check out Mobius, I've only dabbled with it so far, but I believe it's regarded as the most powerful and flexible software looper going around.

7. ToTheAtom

ToTheAtom Member

Really? I've dabbled with it as well, but haven't quite figured it out. Will have to look into it some more. Thanks.