Looping: Boss RC-3 or DD-7 ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MadMike62, Jan 21, 2012.

1. MadMike62

MadMike62 Member

‘Evening.

(forgive the typo in the title: I'm specifically referring to Boss's DD-7)

For a few weeks now, I’ve been tinkering with the idea of getting a looper to complete my acoustic guitar set-up. I can’t say I will be a big looper meister, but I do see it being a benefit.

What I want ? A second guitar track on certain songs so I play something over it (solo, finperpick, embellishments, whatever…). Is that “want” going to evolve into something else later ? Maybe, but how can I really say at this point ?

I had it narrowed it down to the Boss RC-3 (quelle surprize…). But the more I look at it, the more I get the feeling that this thing is overkill when compared to my basic need. Sure, it can store up to 3 hours of tracks (practically a whole gig-load of second-guitar tracks), load’em in a computer, provide rhythm patterns and I can probably get it to do breakfast at the same time. But on a good day, I can make my own eggs & bacon, so I’m probably not going to need most of these features.

In the last few days, I have been looking at little closer at Boss’s DD-7. Again, as with most effects, I don’t use delay all that much, but I season some parts with it occasionally. I find its different modes interesting, particularly the “analog”, “modulate” and of course “hold” modes, which I assume is the looper function. I’m also intrigued by a few settings, such as “room ambiance sound” and “doubling”. It seems quite easy to use (more than the RC-3): step on the pedal once to start recording and once to stop and it starts the playback immediately. In mono, it has 40 seconds of looping capability, which seems plenty for me.

Having a pedal going multiple-duty is not new for me: I also use the Marshall RG-1 on my acoustic pedalboard, as well as on my bass set-up and it does a fine live job in both situations. I also have another pedal on my bass set-up doing quadruple-duty.

I’m using a small pedalboard with its 9v power supply and want to stay within those parameters. I’ve looked a bit at the Digitech Hardwire DL-8, but it has 20 seconds of looping.

Anybody else went through this ? What did you end up doing ?

(Sorry for the long post, but as you can see, I've been giving this a bit of thought).

2. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Check out the tc electronics flashback. Better feature set/tones to my ears, and a 40 second looper.

3. MadMike62

MadMike62 Member

Looked it up (features, reviews) and it's definitely an option, should I go the jack-of-all-trades route. But at this point, my main question is: should I go looper or delay/looper ?

4. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Get the DD-7 which smokes the flashback imo. But chances are you will get hooked on looping and want a standalone unit with erase options down the track.

5. ogam

ogam Member

I've bought & sold over 5 different delay/looper pedal last year, and I think the main difference between the simpler delay/looper pedal and a straight up looper pedal is the fact that you can undo, pause, and play (or reverse, slow it down, etc) the looped part. I found that very useful to prevent any embarrassing moments on stage.

If you're looping with a DD7 or Flashback, once you made a mistake, you're screwed.And if you'd like to overdub the first track, there's always a possibility of pressing the switch twice, and you'll lose that first loop.

Also, Pressing the switch twice (in Flashback) to stop the loop always results in an abrupt, awkward stop for me, whereas other dedicated looper pedal are a lot easier to control.

Oh, and just so you know, there is a slight volume drop in Flashback if you're changing from other delay modes to the looper mode. I think you have to set the volume to full everytime you use the looper so, yeah. There's no volume drop in DD7 if I remember correctly.

6. MadMike62

MadMike62 Member

Yeah, can see that happening too. Thx for the feedback on the Flashback, HC user reviews didn't mention any volume loss.