Looping for Guitarists: An Open Letter to FX Manufacturers

Seance

use of the Loupé before i read any of the manual, lol.

Wow! Very intriguing first steps. Can't wait to hear more.

Anytime I attempt a pre-manual sonic exploration with a pedal the walls scream "RTFM!" in response.

Your 1st go-round with the Loupé, on the other hand, called to mind: Reactive traces fomenting metamorphosis.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Wow! Very intriguing first steps. Can't wait to hear more.

Anytime I attempt a pre-manual sonic exploration with a pedal the walls scream "RTFM!" in response.

Your 1st go-round with the Loupé, on the other hand, called to mind: Reactive traces fomenting metamorphosis.
ha!
yeah. somehow, i think i accidentally set-up those hideous feedback loops, somehow, myself..... haven't sussed it yet, though!
but, i will do.

i did do another vid, while i had the chance..... same game, different music, added reVolver to the mix (for practice, & for practical reasons).

Seance

ha!
yeah. somehow, i think i accidentally set-up those hideous feedback loops, somehow, myself..... haven't sussed it yet, though!
but, i will do.

i did do another vid, while i had the chance..... same game, different music, added reVolver to the mix (for practice, & for practical reasons).
I found it entrancing. Nothing "hideous". More like exploratory nook-and-cranny canvassing.
More like modal mood spelunking.

I also second what @Andre LaFosse said... I can't wait to hear how you make use of the Loupé for
your melodic repitching/pattern exploring/pattern exploding.

splatt

I found it entrancing. Nothing "hideous". More like exploratory nook-and-cranny canvassing.
More like modal mood spelunking.
oh, i stopped playing/recording when the feedback error exploded! seriously, something went verrrry wrong: 3 times.

I also second what @Andre LaFosse said... I can't wait to hear how you make use of the Loupé for
your melodic repitching/pattern exploring/pattern exploding.
thanks, sean, dré, all: i'll get there, as long as i can keep going!

pyna

something like @splatt describes hit me - I had some stuff playing, after a few minutes of doing various things to a loop - and i'd left it playing while i went into the kitchen, and it spontaneously switched to loud static. I fear there may be a bug :(

Seance

something like @splatt describes hit me - I had some stuff playing, after a few minutes of doing various things to a loop - and i'd left it playing while i went into the kitchen, and it spontaneously switched to loud static. I fear there may be a bug :(
Are you talking about the Loupé?

What settings were you using? What "games", etc.?

pyna

Are you talking about the Loupé?

What settings were you using? What "games", etc.?
yeah, the loupe - iirc i was using GAME 05, modified just to have sync out going, saved in slot 51. I'd spent 5 minutes or so doing various multiply/insert/replace/overdub things, with some resets and use of undo, after which I'd left it running without touching anything for a minute or two, and was in the other room when it suddenly turned to noise/static. Didn't have it sharing power with other pedals. Not 100% sure but it appeared to replace both the recorded and dry signal

Only happened once so far - and I'm not positive it's not my fault somehow :)

Last edited:

kspicknell

yeah, the loupe - iirc i was using GAME 05, modified just to have sync out going, saved in slot 51. I'd spent 5 minutes or so doing various multiply/insert/replace/overdub things, with some resets and use of undo, after which I'd left it running without touching anything for a minute or two, and was in the other room when it suddenly turned to noise/static. Didn't have it sharing power with other pedals. Not 100% sure but it appeared to replace both the recorded and dry signal

Only happened once so far - and I'm not positive it's not my fault somehow :)
Hopefully if there is a bug(s), it can be repeated, documented, and reported to Glou-Glou, because firmware updates are possible. I wonder if there’s a possibility for Read FX to cause chaos if they’re recorded just so, into the Feedback loop? (Apologies if my terminology isn’t quite right or clear, with that last sentence.)

Before any more word or discovery regarding the possible cause(s) of the unfortunate noise @pyna and @splatt may have both similarly encountered, I still preordered one of the last three white Loupé this morning. Blue ones were all already spoken for by this morning, and now (later the same day) all the white Loupé appear to also be spoken for. Granted, these preorders were “no money down”, so I expect maybe a few will become available in October, if people are not able to purchase or change their minds.

So, did yesterday’s Instagram video from @splatt cause a run on the final few preorders, or was it just me who finally caved, after all the previous reading, research, listening, and viewing (including all the YouTube Loupé videos from @Andre LaFosse)? I look forward to hearing and seeing more about people’s early experiences. Thank you for your bravery and tenacity, early adopters.

Andre LaFosse

I wonder if there’s a possibility for Read FX to cause chaos if they’re recorded just so, into the Feedback loop?
[Edit: tagging @boostyboost just to make sure he's in the loop on this potential bug. Pun very much intended...]

This is a good candidate for at least part of what might be going on with this burst of noise that's happening.

Basically, ReadFX can be either destructive (the effects are imprinted into the fabric of the loop), and/or non-destructive (the loop goes back to normal, or you get a blend between the OG loop and the ReadFX'd version, when the effects are off). These are represented as Feedback ratios between wet (the ReadFX) and dry (the underlying loop): If Dry = 10 and Wet = 0, it's totally non-destructive. If Dry = 0 and Wet = 10, it's completely destructive. If the ratio is between those two, you get a blend happening.

Also, note that the Feedback ratio is different than the Mix ratio, which is also a 0-10, wet/dry balance. Mix is how you hear things when the ReadFX are engaged, and Feedback is the extent to which the ReadFX get imprinted.

But! In order for the ReadFX to be destructive, one of two things has to happen: Overdub has to be on, or Decay has to be below 100%. If neither of these is the case, then the ReadFX will only be non-destructive, even if the Dry/Wet Feedback ratio is 0/10.

Over two months of using the Loupé, I haven't had it suddenly burst into noise and feedback by itself, without my doing anything. What has happened, occasionally, is that certain ReadFX can create a feedback loop that builds pretty quickly into cascading noise. For me, this always happens when I'm physically engaging ReadFX, but I could imagine scenarios where it might creep up over time, if the loop is left unattended and Overdub is open, and/or Feedback is < 100%.

And/but, ReadFX is definitely the area where I'm still wrapping my head around the possibilities. Which is a fancy way of saying that I don't understand it all that well, yet... ;)

I'll keep my eyes peeled, irregardless!

I still preordered one of the last three white Loupé this morning.
w00t! Awesome. Congrats!

Last edited:

splatt

another recorded exercise from earlier; now reading the manual, noise issue sussed therein.

in fact, at this point, i now have a piece of music from my exercises that will be on the upcoming record release (date yet TBD).
i'm doing some bits of orchestration for it, so won’t post that one until it’s cooked.
maybe i’ll post it uncooked, though, as a kind of living “skeleton”?
maybe.
did not shoot any video of that one, though.

Last edited:

grozeil

Promising!
Are you planning a solo album or with your band? (I'm eagerly waiting for Only Sky successor)

Spirithunter

Silver Supporting Member
Can not wait for October to get here! I told my wife I believe I'm more excited for Loupé than our new house were moving into August.
Yea my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Seance

another recorded exercise from earlier; now reading the manual, noise issue sussed therein.

in fact, at this point, i now have a piece of music from my exercises that will be on the upcoming record release (date yet TBD).
i'm doing some bits of orchestration for it, so won’t post that one until it’s cooked.
maybe i’ll post it uncooked, though, as a kind of living “skeleton”?
maybe.
did not shoot any video of that one, though.

The repeated refrain gives a reframed Sketches of Spain feel.
A twilight-lit Sketches of Hesperus.

splatt

Promising!
Are you planning a solo album or with your band? (I'm eagerly waiting for Only Sky successor)
so far, it is an "enhanced" solo album? seems like that, as it appears that i have all the fundamental pieces together.

i'm improvising the original pieces, then asking specific players to play, each having their own unique set of "guides" or "directions"; some get no charts (but do get specific timings), at least one other has had good charts w/timings, one has gotten a bad chart with a misleading, errrrmmm, "click track", lol. (he did brilliantly, fwiw!)

in all cases, my expression markings & "guides" prove pretty useful, if occasionally ridiculous and/or humorous.

there's a small possibility i might include a completed version of "liev, liev, louis" (above) for the record, though it will be a bit shorter, i think; its a dedication to my still mysterious, paternal great-grandfather --- my dad's mother's dad --- who somehow brought his family to the USA.

meaux dacherie

Gold Supporting Member
so far, it is an "enhanced" solo album? seems like that, as it appears that i have all the fundamental pieces together.

i'm improvising the original pieces, then asking specific players to play, each having their own unique set of "guides" or "directions"; some get no charts (but do get specific timings), at least one other has had good charts w/timings, one has gotten a bad chart with a misleading, errrrmmm, "click track", lol. (he did brilliantly, fwiw!)

in all cases, my expression markings & "guides" prove pretty useful, if occasionally ridiculous and/or humorous.

there's a small possibility i might include a completed version of "liev, liev, louis" (above) for the record, though it will be a bit shorter, i think; its a dedication to my still mysterious, paternal great-grandfather --- my dad's mother's dad --- who somehow brought his family to the USA.
Thanks for the good news David!!!! This project sounds wicked fun!!!!!!!

Gila_Crisis

Today I'm like a child the xmas day, as the new Looperlative LP2 is finally here at my place!

I did few deep dive sessions with it today, and it's amazing!
After ages using the Pigtronix Infinity, I feel like being back home as prior getting Infinity I was using a LP1 (but since it was too big, one rack unit plus a midi foot controller, I went for the Pigtronix at some point, cool unit but I had to rethink a lot of my looping-habits with this one).

Sound quality is top notch. I had only to open the unit to set the internal pre/post gain trims properly at first. This was need to avoid clipping and other unwanted noises, as I use also a lot of synths and line level signals (I talked with Bob at Looperlative and told me he usually sets the trims for passive instrument levels).
Now I can loop any my super loud/earthquaky drone-noise synth or a super distorted guitar and the audio is super pristine!

The effects are super easy to use and switch on the flight (I'm using the so called "Bill Walker set" as this gives me the possibility to use the 2 stereo tracks). Already like this stand alone you're ready to go and can do a lot of loop manipulations.
Then I started to implement few midi commands using a Disaster Area Midi Baby 3.
With midi control you have access to a third and forth loop (I'm fine with 3 for now) and can fully control the looper (aka you get the same features as on the big brother, the LP1).

For me, it's so cool to be able again to create at will synched tracks as I did on the LP1 (the trick is simple: you first record track 1, which is always the master track, then go on track 2 or 3 and press play instead of rec, this will create a void track which has the same length as track 1. For freestyle looping you just press Rec on any new track).
Of course you can use it also in a verse/chorus stile manner, but it's not the style of looping I'm aiming for.

Also few other thing I had to fight on the Infinity and now I'm happy to be back to normal:
- if I wanna reverse a track this action takes place immediately, unlike the Infinity, where you have to wait for the entire loop to reach its end
- finally I can half speed single tracks
- the afore-mentioned ability to create (un)synched loops (without having to set a special synch multi every time)
- a proper feedback control (which works independently from Overdub)
- the super-pristine audio quality. This is one of the few loopers I know of, where you can set both input and output levels. On the Infinity it was a constant fight with its internal always on limiter, which would suddenly start to cut my sound as soon my input signal became for it too loud (and that's why I used it only for my ambient projects)
- it works with a 9VDC power supply (1A), but with that very same supply and a split cable I can also power the Midi Baby 3!

Last edited: