Looping for Guitarists: An Open Letter to FX Manufacturers

RoyAL73

@boostyboost
oof, I just hit the Loupé static issue which I now think probably is a real bug. I was playing pretty loud over it and it suddenly burst into sustained static and scared the hell out of me. I was using a game almost identical to game#1, recorded a 2 bar bpm synced loop , activated the default TSW1 readfx (mod sin) and was just practicing shred scales over it. I have done something similar many times with no issue. There doesn't seem to be any feedback or weird setup in play in this case. It seemed completely random (and catastrophic). I tried to replicate immeditaley without success. I hope someone can find something repeatable and it can be root caused and fixed.

Gila_Crisis

And here it is: my demo/mini tutorial for the LP2!

NOTE: I tried to cover a bit everything of what this device can do (basics overview & looping, 2 tracks looping, configuration & setup modes, advanced midi mapping, etc...), BUT the Song Mode, and Verse/Chorus/Verse looping styles, as this is not the kind of looping I usually perform.
But yes: You can do this kind of looping with LP2! Only, since I still have to learn and understand the "Switch Other Track" command & Song Mode, I decided to skip this point, which maybe I'll cover in a future video.

Last edited:

Gila_Crisis

So I spend I bit more time with LP2, find out a new firmware is available (thank you Bob Amstadt!!), so this is the final part 2 to my first LP2 Mini Tutorial!

In this video I'll cover all the stuff I didn't in the first one: Verse/Chorus/Verse looping, Song Select Mode and an in depth demo of LP2's special effects available via MIDI, like Stretch/Shrink, Quantized Replace, Scramble, and the classic Reverse and Half Speed

celticelk

So I spend I bit more time with LP2, find out a new firmware is available (thank you Bob Amstadt!!), so this is the final part 2 to my first LP2 Mini Tutorial!

In this video I'll cover all the stuff I didn't in the first one: Verse/Chorus/Verse looping, Song Select Mode and an in depth demo of LP2's special effects available via MIDI, like Stretch/Shrink, Quantized Replace, Scramble, and the classic Reverse and Half Speed
Fantastic - thanks! Have you tried the Double/Triple/Quadruple feature via MIDI at all? I presume that's like a Multiply operation in the EDP, but the manual isn't terribly clear. Also: if you have more than one loop running, do these operations (Scramble, Stretch/Shrink, etc.) apply to all loops, or the currently selected loop?

Gila_Crisis

Fantastic - thanks! Have you tried the Double/Triple/Quadruple feature via MIDI at all? I presume that's like a Multiply operation in the EDP, but the manual isn't terribly clear. Also: if you have more than one loop running, do these operations (Scramble, Stretch/Shrink, etc.) apply to all loops, or the currently selected loop?
I was using the LP1 back in the day, so I can confirm you that all these LP1 functions packed into the LP2 work exactly the same way. For more information you can check the LP1 manual, there you'll find in depth descriptions of all these features!
The Double feature is in the Bill Walker set, so I use it from there but you can also recall it via MIDI (as well as Triple and Quadruple, and all the operations, see the manual for the full MIDI mapping).
All these operations are applied ONLY to the selected loop! So, if I apply Double to Loop2 I only Double Loop 2, if I Scramble Loop1 I only Scramble Loop1, etc..
I.E. (and this is great) I can Record or overdub on Loop 1, while switching over to Loop2. This way I still Rec/Dub on Loop1, and at the same time I can apply the manipulations/operations to Loop 2!

Last edited:

Blue Bee

Today I'm like a child the xmas day, as the new Looperlative LP2 is finally here at my place!

I did few deep dive sessions with it today, and it's amazing!
After ages using the Pigtronix Infinity, I feel like being back home as prior getting Infinity I was using a LP1 (but since it was too big, one rack unit plus a midi foot controller, I went for the Pigtronix at some point, cool unit but I had to rethink a lot of my looping-habits with this one).

Sound quality is top notch. I had only to open the unit to set the internal pre/post gain trims properly at first. This was need to avoid clipping and other unwanted noises, as I use also a lot of synths and line level signals (I talked with Bob at Looperlative and told me he usually sets the trims for passive instrument levels).
Now I can loop any my super loud/earthquaky drone-noise synth or a super distorted guitar and the audio is super pristine!

The effects are super easy to use and switch on the flight (I'm using the so called "Bill Walker set" as this gives me the possibility to use the 2 stereo tracks). Already like this stand alone you're ready to go and can do a lot of loop manipulations.
Then I started to implement few midi commands using a Disaster Area Midi Baby 3.
With midi control you have access to a third and forth loop (I'm fine with 3 for now) and can fully control the looper (aka you get the same features as on the big brother, the LP1).

For me, it's so cool to be able again to create at will synched tracks as I did on the LP1 (the trick is simple: you first record track 1, which is always the master track, then go on track 2 or 3 and press play instead of rec, this will create a void track which has the same length as track 1. For freestyle looping you just press Rec on any new track).
Of course you can use it also in a verse/chorus stile manner, but it's not the style of looping I'm aiming for.

Also few other thing I had to fight on the Infinity and now I'm happy to be back to normal:
- if I wanna reverse a track this action takes place immediately, unlike the Infinity, where you have to wait for the entire loop to reach its end
- finally I can half speed single tracks
- the afore-mentioned ability to create (un)synched loops (without having to set a special synch multi every time)
- a proper feedback control (which works independently from Overdub)
- the super-pristine audio quality. This is one of the few loopers I know of, where you can set both input and output levels. On the Infinity it was a constant fight with its internal always on limiter, which would suddenly start to cut my sound as soon my input signal became for it too loud (and that's why I used it only for my ambient projects)
- it works with a 9VDC power supply (1A), but with that very same supply and a split cable I can also power the Midi Baby 3!

This sounds great. I have a Boss Rc500 on back order and this has me wanting to cancel it... Look forward to hear more about it. Would love to see a demo.

How many ins and outs does it have?
Can you share a pic of the back side?

Gila_Crisis

This sounds great. I have a Boss Rc500 on back order and this has me wanting to cancel it... Look forward to hear more about it. Would love to see a demo.

How many ins and outs does it have?
Can you share a pic of the back side?
For a picture check the manual at https://www.looperlative.com

On the Back you have:
FEEDBACK
The FEEDBACK input takes a 1⁄4” TRS plug from an expression pedal. This controls the feedback setting of the current track. 100% means that the track will loop indefinitely. Anything less than 100% and the track will fade each time it plays.

CONFIG
The CONFIG button is used to select configuration or setup mode. A short press selects configuration mode. A long press selects setup mode.

SDCARD
The SDCARD slot is not used in the current generation LP2.

MIDI OUT
The MIDI OUT connector provides MIDI clock to other devices and provides Looperlative SYSEX messages for status of the device.

MIDI IN
The MIDI IN connector allows external clock and control to the LP2. Firmware upgrades can also be provided through this port as MIDI SYSEX files.

POWER
This is a 9V 1A negative-center power input.

IN & OUT
These are 1⁄4” TRS sockets that accepts stereo audio input and output. You may connect a TS mono cable, but then only one of the two channels will be used (so you with normal jacks you have mono in/out).

MIX
This knob controls the amount of dry signal that is passed through the LP2 from input to output.

celticelk

I was using the LP1 back in the day, so I can confirm you that all these LP1 functions packed into the LP2 work exactly the same way. For more information you can check the LP1 manual, there you'll find in depth descriptions of all these features!
The Double feature is in the Bill Walker set, so I use it from there but you can also recall it via MIDI (as well as Triple and Quadruple, and all the operations, see the manual for the full MIDI mapping).
All these operations are applied ONLY to the selected loop! So, if I apply Double to Loop2 I only Double Loop 2, if I Scramble Loop1 I only Scramble Loop1, etc..
I.E. (and this is great) I can Record or overdub on Loop 1, while switching over to Loop2. This way I still Rec/Dub on Loop1, and at the same time I can apply the manipulations/operations to Loop 2!
If you don't mind my asking an additional feature question: what's the difference between the "Retrigger Once," "Retrigger Random," and "Retrigger Continuous" effects listed on the device? The manual has a pretty obvious error, with the same description for "Random" and "Continuous." Is "Retrigger Random" different from the LP1 "Random Retrigger" function that you can access via MIDI?

Gila_Crisis

If you don't mind my asking an additional feature question: what's the difference between the "Retrigger Once," "Retrigger Random," and "Retrigger Continuous" effects listed on the device? The manual has a pretty obvious error, with the same description for "Random" and "Continuous." Is "Retrigger Random" different from the LP1 "Random Retrigger" function that you can access via MIDI?
Note: I didn't test all the midi commands available. I suppose these midi cc reflects these effects available in the LP2.

Retrigger ONCE: when you it this, the loop restarts from its beginning and plays one time (think about this like a triggable One Shot play).

Retrigger CONTINUOUS: same as above, but the loops continues to play indefinitely.

Retrigger RANDOM: same principle as Retrigger Continuous, but loop starts not at the beginning but in a random point of the loop.

celticelk

Note: I didn't test all the midi commands available. I suppose these midi cc reflects these effects available in the LP2.

Retrigger ONCE: when you it this, the loop restarts from its beginning and plays one time (think about this like a triggable One Shot play).

Retrigger CONTINUOUS: same as above, but the loops continues to play indefinitely.

Retrigger RANDOM: same principle as Retrigger Continuous, but loop starts not at the beginning but in a random point of the loop.
Thanks! That was what I'd guessed, but I've been wrong before. ;) Definitely moving closer to an LP2 purchase thanks to your videos!

grozeil

For a picture check the manual at https://www.looperlative.com
IN & OUT
These are 1⁄4” TRS sockets that accepts stereo audio input and output. You may connect a TS mono cable, but then only one of the two channels will be used (so you with normal jacks you have mono in/out).
Those comments make me wanting one ASAP. Please stop discussing about that Looperlative! :) Just kiddin'

Can you be a bit more detailed about ins and outs please?
I'm currently using a Ditto X4 and I'm looking for a looper acting the same as far as stereo is concerned : I play a Chapman Stick, which is a stereo instrument using a TRS cable, separating bass (ring) and high strings (sleeve), so I definitely need a TRS in/out looper. When I loop using my Ditto X4, TRS signal is looped but there's no internal mixing, so the ring of the TRS out goes to the bass amp, and the sleeve to the guitar amp, Does the Looperlative act the same?
The bonus question (maybe you covered that on your video, I've to watch it once again) : can you play two unsync loops at the same time, and apply different effects?
Thanks for your input!

Gila_Crisis

Those comments make me wanting one ASAP. Please stop discussing about that Looperlative! :) Just kiddin'

Can you be a bit more detailed about ins and outs please?
I'm currently using a Ditto X4 and I'm looking for a looper acting the same as far as stereo is concerned : I play a Chapman Stick, which is a stereo instrument using a TRS cable, separating bass (ring) and high strings (sleeve), so I definitely need a TRS in/out looper. When I loop using my Ditto X4, TRS signal is looped but there's no internal mixing, so the ring of the TRS out goes to the bass amp, and the sleeve to the guitar amp, Does the Looperlative act the same?
The bonus question (maybe you covered that on your video, I've to watch it once again) : can you play two unsync loops at the same time, and apply different effects?
Thanks for your input!
YES about the stereo TSR. I use a stereo effect chain, but I suppose if you send a mono signal to the ring and another mono on the tip, these will be separated, like in your Ditto X4.
Also note the LP2 (and LP1) are the only loopers I know of that allow you to set (with internal trim pots) the input and output gain.

Bonus question: yes you can, and it's super easy! I talk about this in the first video (how to create sync or unsynched loops at the same time). The effects can be applied to one loop only or both (see both videos).

kspicknell

@Gila_Crisis Ha, this was becoming a mostly Poly Beebo Loopler and Glou-Glou Loupé thread, and then you go and generously detail what looks to be another great option, which also offers features well beyond today’s “standard, simplified loopers”. I don’t know if I ever heard of any model of Looperlative—there’s always new discoveries and revelations awaiting me, when it comes to music gear. Thank you!