Looping for Guitarists: An Open Letter to FX Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by splatt, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Makes me wish I had Andre's imagination

2. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

Freaking awesome! I've got my Macmillan Soft Step 2 programmed to do this with Echoloop on my computer but how time consuming was it to do with the FCB10?

Andre LaFosse likes this.
  3. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

That was great! A lot of information (and some great music) packed into those three minutes.

I think as the video stands one could get a lot out of it, though it's obviously not for beginners. I can't say my knowledge of the EDP is beyond the beginner level, so I have to put in some work myself, e.g. go back to the manual and remind myself about how the functions you used in the video work. It's really helpful to hear those functions in action.

My only (very minor) criticism is that you go through those functions pretty fast in that demo, so it's hard to listen, read the text on the screen, and really get what's happening, but since it's a video it's easy enough to pause and ponder...

I think I would find a series of videos like that one to be incredibly useful. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!

Not Orange, Andre LaFosse and splatt like this.
  4. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Thanks so much for viewing and commenting, folks. I'm about to launch a Patreon campaign focused on documenting the EDP (and live looping techniques in general), so this was intended as a first pass to get myself familiar with the whole process.

I absolutely agree that this would be a bad starting point for anyone not already familiar with the EDP, and the intent of the Patreon project will be to cover a wide range of subjects, from very basic/fundamental ideas to more esoteric and advanced concepts.

Again, huge thanks to everyone for taking the time and checking it out!

pangea2003, chopsley and splatt like this.
  5. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Hello again, all -

Here's a couple of new videos, covering Feedback and Replace - two looping functions that SHOULD be a lot more commonplace than they actually are.

And, I've launched a Patreon page to support further tutorials like this one. If this sort of thing is interesting to you, please consider checking it out:

http://www.patreon.com/andrelafosse

Thanks, guys!

6. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Hello again folks,

A new looping tutorial video, covering MIDI footpedal control for the Echoplex Digital Pro:

pangea2003, entreat, Dajbro and 6 others like this.
  7. Gila_Crisis

Gila_Crisis Member

I have an LP1 and I love it! The piece of equipement which really turned me into live looping.
    But lately I switched to a Pigtronix Infinity+EHX 720 combo, because I wanted to try out a more light weight/mobile system.
    But sometimes I still miss the TOTAL control you can achieve with the LP1.

chlorinemist and shikawkee like this.
  8. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

A new tutorial video, covering Record and Overdub.

Basic stuff at face value, but this looks at these two functions as examples of a number of deep EDP concepts, including alternate endings, long presses, and SUS commands.

entreat, biffoz, Not Orange and 2 others like this.
  9. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Yet again: hello, folks. The latest looping tutorial video covers Multiply and its myriad permutations, as implemented on the Echoplex Digital Pro.

chopsley and shikawkee like this.
  10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

chv, Seance, Crazyquilt and 5 others like this.
  11. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Thanks so much for posting Andre. A huge wealth of great info in your videos, and now I want to own a EDP again.

Andre LaFosse likes this.
  12. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Beat me to it - I was just checking out some videos of the Octatrack and thought it might be an interesting addition to this discussion.

I've been debating grabbing one of these for a while. I love what it can do, but I'm not sure about the interface (for my uses). I definitely wouldn't be using it for beats or straight ahead looping, which is what most of the demos seem focused on. So it's nice to see knobs showing another side of it. But a lot of the features I found interesting seem like they take several steps/menus/knobs to access. While I'm sure I could learn it (and a lot of the video users show that it can be very quick to perform those steps), my past experience says that I probably wouldn't end up using it live... So I continue to waffle...

Seance likes this.
  13. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Interesting. From the description it's hard to tell if it does timestretching like the EHX 16SDD, and whether overdubs are recorded according to the active direction & speed or just the original direction & speed.

14. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I found discussion of the pedal on the MuffWiggler forums. His first post was to mention the pedal. The 2nd was in answer to some questions:

Source: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188803&start=25

Q: Oh! Interested!
    Square wave modulation of delay time?
    Fidelity on par with the old Lexicon PCM42?
    Can you tell that the lex is kind of a bench mark for delay based loopers for me [​IMG]

A: Can't compare to PCM42, as I don't have any experience with it. The LFO depth control applies sin(ish) modulation to delay time. I prefer it to typical triangle.

The "MOD" setting on the clock switch applies the square wave from same LFO to toggle between fast and slow settings of clock. Fast is two times the clock speed as slow, so anything recording on fast and subsequently switched down to slow plays back at half speed and vice versa so on MOD setting you get the repeats jumping up and down in octaves and speed. That's fun because they're always in tune, but can be bent out of tune by also modulating via "depth" at the same time.

I'm in Europe currently and then visiting family for holidays, but will be back to home base in early January and shipping units then. Will also do my due diligence and throw a demo up on YouTube.

15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I have a MkI. I've enjoyed using it but I definitely had to earn the knowledge that I've gained - just trying stuff over and over and asking questions on the Elektron user forums. I wasn't able to get off and running on it as quickly as I did with my Line 6 DL-4.

16. cutlunch

cutlunch Supporting Member

17. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Hello folks - I've been churning away at the Echoplex Digital Pro tutorial videos. I don't want to post a link to every single one, but here's a few of my recent favorites:

quilsaw, splatt, Bryan T and 3 others like this.
  18. la noise

la noise Member

They're still not going to build it. ;)

19. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Certainly not! But, there are a lot of functions that have been in the EDP for over 20 years, that hardly anyone has come to terms with yet.

The more that people know about these kinds of possibilities, the more likely players will be to want to use them, and the more likely manufacturers will be to consider implementing them.

Getting the EDP reissued, exactly as it was, isn't a priority for me. Seeing at least SOME of these types of concepts implemented, in SOME capacity, in SOME other loopers... that's what I'm more interested in.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Dandolin, nightjar, splatt and 4 others like this.
  20. Bryan T

Bryan T aspiring cartographer and social media influencer Silver Supporting Member

Andre - Damn.

Andre LaFosse and splatt like this.