Looping for Guitarists: An Open Letter to FX Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by splatt, Feb 11, 2015.

1. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Echoloop was easier for me to figure out than Mobius. Go figure <g>. It is only 32-bit though. Unless he finally released the 64-bit version he's been hinting at for ages without me knowing it.

tangleweird and quilsaw like this.
  2. tangleweird

tangleweird Member

re-installed echoloop and im getting it more this time around. just need a foot controller now. how have you found the softstep? does the softstep make more sense than the 12 step for doing this kind of DAW/VST control?

the pok BLE looks interesting, but it is basically just a keyboard, which might be limiting compared to MIDI. although mobius can take key commands, which could work for that.

shikawkee likes this.
  3. shikawkee

Love the Soft Step 2. It can be programmed so each foot pad controls a different aspect of Echoloop and the customer service from McMillen is aces.

tangleweird likes this.
  4. tangleweird

tangleweird Member

just got my soft step 2 today... after some fiddling i got it work with mobius. its odd but i had to run mobius in standalone in order to make it learn MIDI commands. now it seems to work perfectly in my DAW. pretty stoked on it! thanks for the recommendation.

shikawkee likes this.
  5. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

I thought the whole point was to not get locked into a proprietary format. Otherwise why not go with Digitech's Jamsync? :dunno

6. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Well, I can't do what I want with a Digitech unit, so Jamsync isn't an option for me.

But just the fact that we can HAVE a discussion about the relative merits of different forms of proprietary sync is a good sign! That's a big part of why I'm doing the videos in the first place: to show what's already been available (in some cases, for many years), and try to foster an understanding of what's already been done. Past is prologue, and all that...

7. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

There's a tendency to think of modern phrase-sampler loopers as "song oriented," which implies that the older generation of hardware loopers is ill-suited to accommodating song structure.

I don't know if that's necessarily true, but I do know that using the EDP in the context of a song form is one of the most challenging things I can do in looping. It might be me being lazy, or not practicing this sort of thing enough, or getting easily seduced by the siren song of abstract linear jamming... I really don't know.

In any event: humbly submitted for consideration WRT all this is a "director's commentary" - style analysis of a recent video performance I was part of. I do a running analysis of the song as it goes by, and also offer some technical and conceptual details behind the approach to this tune.

Here's my analysis/commentary video:

And here's the original video performance:

As always: thanks for tuning in.

8. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

...and here's a second commentary, on a second video performance. This song starts with me controlling both my own EDP and harmonicist Ross Garren's EDP simultaneously. I'm using a MIDI splitter to send granular, SUS-style millisecond-long footpedal commands to both loopers, making the same microscopic adjustments to our loops even as we're playing different things on our two separate instruments. There's also a straight-up "EDP solo," and (a first for my tutorials) a few freeze-frame moments where quick techniques are broken down in detail.

Here's the analysis video:

And here's the original performance, sans narration:

As always: thanks for tuning in.

9. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Welp, my second Boomerang III has started involuntarily glitching, so I am now 'rang-less. I'm going to try to contact the service people that the current 'rang company owners recommend. In the meantime, I've been able to reproduce about 75% of my usual looping methodology with a TCE Ditto x4. I am bereft without copy, and I still prefer 'rang functionality by a country mile, but I can do what I need to do. Even hook up via MIDI, mostly successfully, to my BeatBuddy.

So, please, looping brethren and sistren, pour one out in the hopes that the x4 won't have a fatal digital aneurysm before my 'rang(s) are back. The internet is awash with tales of premature deaths amongst the x4's....

10. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

shikawkee and Crazyquilt like this.
  11. mattrowe

mattrowe Member

There's a new generation of Looperlative LP1's available: https://www.looperlative.com/, and a hardware upgrade for existing ("GenA") LP1's.

Bugeater, Seance, adamajah and 2 others like this.
  12. jujube

jujube Member

That is good news!

donfrantz and splatt like this.
  13. biffoz

biffoz Member

My Ditto X4 crapped out on me over a year ago and I got zero love from TC service, so it sat on the shelf. A distant friend knew someone who had the same problem and that guy has tried a couple ways to copy the internal micro flash chip and it didn't work last time, but he has somehow managed to make a clean copy of a good one with upgraded firmware and it worked!

So I'm now happily X4-ing and thinking maybe it will just keep on humming. I know a few people who have been using them continuously for a long time, so fingers crossed. Not sure if this unnamed person can make more, but PM me if yours dies and in the meantime, I'll check to see if he can make more copies. I payed a small amount for mine and would guess it would cost something or other.

14. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Here's a few recent tutorials, highlighting some of the more distinctive and/or obscure corners of the Echoplex Digital Pro...

The Cycle Sequencer Technique

Flip Mode and Soft Replace Variations

The strange and foreboding world of Interface Modes

pangea2003, GA20T, Seance and 5 others like this.
  15. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

fantastic, @Andre LaFosse !
    someday, i might be more articulate than this, but.....
    cycle sequencing! you freaking did it.
    so amazing to see it — and other of these EDP possibilities — practiced & taught so masterfully.
    dude.

16. tangleweird

tangleweird Member

Anyone have any experience with the Expedition Electronics 60 second delay?

17. shikawkee

Yes. It's cool but lo-fit at higher record times. Anything over 10 seconds. And they need to add some features which they're aware of now like better square wave mod, etc.

Tabor likes this.
  18. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Many thanks, dude! I hope you're having a lovely time in Old Blighty with the zen funk guys. :)

splatt likes this.
  19. Crazyquilt

Thanks. I'm getting along somewhat better with the X4, but I'll still be happy when/if my Rangs return home. If the X4 dies, though, I don't know how much trouble I'd go through to fix it.

Lords of looping, but I miss copy & three loops.

biffoz and Andre LaFosse like this.
  20. Crazyquilt

All that being said, I've fallen in love with an AIRA TR-8, so the idea of starting to incorporate either a software or MIDI controlled hardware looper is becoming more attractive. Wow have things come far since the last time I muddled through an EDP/FCB1010 rig.

22Top likes this.