Looping for Guitarists: An Open Letter to FX Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by splatt, Feb 11, 2015.

1. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

@Crazyquilt, are the looping & time/speed controls either cv or exp or midi accessible?
    in an case, i’ll go visit them at NAMM, as i will Eventide.

2. urQuill

urQuill Member

Hey, if you and/or @Crazyquilt or anyone finds answers to these exact questions and other details about the Volante’s looping, please let us, or others with limited access ... or me, let me know! please and thanks!

Turnipfarmer and shikawkee like this.
  3. Afcollett

Afcollett Member

Yes please

Turnipfarmer likes this.
  4. pangea2003

pangea2003 Member

Strymon Response about the Max Delay time options:

'Max recording time for the SOS looper is dependent on the SPEED switch:
    half - 64 seconds, normal - 32 seconds, double - 16 seconds.
    For delay time, it is:
    half - 4 seconds, normal - 2 seconds, and double - 1 second.'

Turnipfarmer, shikawkee and Squatch57 like this.
  5. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Supporting Member

Which loopers have midi sync without drift?

I'm sure this has been discussed here, so apologies if this is redundant, but it might be helpful to have a list going (?)

( I understand the Jamman jam sync thing, but for this instance I'd like to keep it to loopers that can be slaved/synced via midi for universal access vs. a single proprietary system)

6. Seance

Seance Member

This doesn't clear up that question, but shows the Volante with the Strymon controller (sold separately).

sahhas, biffoz and shikawkee like this.
  7. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

Echoplex Digital Pro works great for this.

Flouncingfleasbag and shikawkee like this.
  8. Flouncingfleasbag

Thanks! Just looked into, seems to have excellent functionality and seems to have a user friendly design. I read that it does not allow for layering? Is that true?

shikawkee likes this.
  9. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

The two I have personal experience with are:
    • Pigtronix Infinity Looper
    • EHX 95000
    I had the 95000 once, sold it for the Infinity (due to size), and now I'm back with the 95000. Love it.

Flouncingfleasbag likes this.
  10. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I am such a MIDI naif, I hadn't even looked. If I do find out, will report back.

11. theRagman

Layering like overdubbing? It’s great at that. Is there something else you mean by “layering”?

Flouncingfleasbag and biffoz like this.
  12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Cool. I too am interested in what the EXP input can be be assigned to, as well as the MIDI stuff.

13. Flouncingfleasbag

No, that's what I meant. Thanks. More proof you cant trust everything you read, glad I asked.

14. Flouncingfleasbag

Thanks, I should start compiling a list in another thread (?).
    The 95000 is one I have been very interested in myself.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Boomerang III? I've read it can have issues with drifting when midi synced.

15. biffoz

biffoz Member

Whoever said that probably never even used one. Clueless. EDP does just about everything other loopers do and much more. So sad that it hasn't been brought into the present. It's not a multi-track, or stereo looper, but as mono loopers go, it's a pinnacle of amazeballs technology.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. corbetta

corbetta Supporting Member

The website seems to imply the control is minimal:

“Change the speed of your loop and simultaneously change the pitch in octave increments.”

Huge missed opportunity if true, AFAIC.

shikawkee likes this.
  17. theRagman

It really, really is. I’m only smart/creative enough to use about 5% of its functionality, but just that goes a long, long way.

18. Flouncingfleasbag

I stumbled on to a new technique/solution for using a stand alone looper in a band setting this week. I'm certain this is something many other people have already been doing, but it was a revelation for me.

In our band we have myself on guitar using loopers, a synth player who is also using drum machines and loopers and our drummer who uses electronic drum pads and loopers along with an acoustic set ( and synths). As many of you know, when trying to loop to a mix of pre-existing loops and live drums, there's a tiny margin of error to get it locked in perfectly. While my drummer has excellent timing ( we are all actually decent this way) we have some hard swinging going on, as well as intentional tempo shifts. Anyway, to get to the point...

I ended up making up a new, to me, trick. If I trigger the looper on and catch a good lick, I have begun to let it continue to wrap around and overdub. In this way, as the tempo/ feel morphs, my previous layers of loops, that would have been drifting are now subtle "fattening" layers, or funky little syncopated layers. As the loop continues to layer, and as I keep building the new layers of the lick, and variations/ harmonies, I end up with an extremely pleasing wall of noise/ funky filler. Eventually, it melds into a reverb wash, underneath, but as I add new parts, I can really play with the swing and staggering.While this is not a style I will constantly employ, it's awesome if used sparingly for a couple of numbers, or for parts of songs. It's, of course great to cycle thru different pedals and create different flavors in the murk- carving out space with filters and EQ's, fuzz; whatever. Also, once the wall of noise layers are built, I can stop and start them; and make break( beat)s out of them.

Not sure if I did a good job of explaining that. It's pretty awesome.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    biffoz and shikawkee like this.
  19. Flouncingfleasbag

That's awesome!
    I'm so thankful for this community and all the stuff I've learned about, and continue to learn about.

biffoz likes this.
  20. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

The Boomerang III is my personal looper of choice -- but as noted above, my MIDI knowledge is minimal. It seems to sync fine with my Roland TR-8, but that's about the best I can say. Anything else though? Ask away.