LoopMaster Clean/Dirty Channel Switcher Expose'

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dave B, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm, how would one simultaneously change amp channels AND switch in-line effects loops, one dedicated to each channel, with a single stomp?

Enter the Loopmaster Clean/Dirty Channel Switcher, with its Green LED/Clean channel and Red LED/Dirty channel. I'm sharing this in case it becomes a solution for someone else's needs, like it did mine.

I also wanted to mimic EJ’s 3-amp setup in a channel switching amp, each with its own signal path if possible, so Brian added a switch to engage a separate Blue LED/Dirty Channel Subloop when I was in my amp’s Dirty channel. My amp's clean channel is set for crystalline cleans with some underlying warmth, and the distortion channel is set for a very light overdrive, which I normally hit with dirt pedals for the heavier, more sustaining stuff. Brian's modified pedal mimics the 3-amp concept with separate signal paths quite nicely. Here’s what I can get out of it:

1) Green - Clean (compressor and/or chorus to taste).
    2) Red - Very Light Overdrive courtesy of the amp’s low-gain setting (treble booster and overdrive off).
    3) Red - Rock Rhythms/Leads (Treble booster off and overdrive on).
    4) Red - ‘Notes exploding off the pick’ Leads (both treble booster and overdrive on).
    5) Blue – Fuzz. ‘Nuff said.

To finish my picture, I have a delay between the Loopmaster out and the amp’s input. In the effects loop there is an EBVPJr, with a Pitchblack+ hanging off of Jr’s Tuner Out.

Wish I would have had one of these 10 years ago. The versatility this affords, by eliminating multiple stomps to switch channels and their dedicated effects, is quite liberating.

ArchDukeOfTops likes this.
  2. hawes

hawes Member

Amen to this! I got mine a few months ago and like you said it would have been a life saver years ago when I was playing out more. Honestly probably the best pedal purchase I made all last year.

3. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Member

Yup - I do a similar thing (not the amp channel switching though) in emulating a 3 amp setup with one amp using the Loopmaster clean/dirty/bypass box - the "clean" loop has my dirty rhythm pedals, the "dirty" loop has my dirty lead group, and then when I hit bypass all dirts are skipped and I have a straight clean sound.
    Pretty much the brains of my whole operation in one little box.

4. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Same here! My Loopmaster A/B/C switches between my comp, fuzz or OD, or I can bypass all that and go straight into the amp.

5. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Let's see a pic of that setup sometime. :D

6. Dave B

Well, right now I don't have a board, so they are laying on the carpet, with a messy hodge-podge collection of patch cables and daisy-chained One Spots.

I'll try to put together some shots showing the three different signal paths with the various LEDs on for that path, plus the amp's channels. Not sure how well that will go, as I'm not Mister camera skills here. If it turns out, it will be a colored representation of what I've achieved. It may take a few days though to come up with a method to my madness.

7. johnnydeadraio

johnnydeadraio Member

Hi . Do u get a quiet singnal path when using that loopmaster pedal on your dirty channel ? A friend of mine made me one but i get a lot of noise on my dirty channel even when all my pedals are turned off....

8. Dave B

Yeah, the whole thing is very quiet in both the Fuzz and the Overdrive/Distortion subloops. The few times I've had noise in my Overdrive signal path were traceable to the tube in My Tube Driver.

9. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

I used a loopmasters clean/dirty switcher for years before getting my midi switching system and it was a tap dancing life saver. If anyone is interested in buying mine PM me.

10. ArchDukeOfTops

ArchDukeOfTops Member

I like the way you think.

11. Dave B

Here's the pic. Each of the 3 "amp's" signal paths is listed below the picture.
    • The Clean/Dirty Channel Switcher (C/DCS) is between the Mind Bender and Line Selector.
    • All pedals are affixed to the board and wired for power.
    • I now have to go buy some pancake plugs, and break out the wire cutters and soldering iron!
    • The board is from The Custom District.
    • The C/DCS's polarity switch flips the pedals' loops with the amp's channels, so dirty effects can go through the amp's Clean channel, and vice versa.

Clean Amp Signal Path - Effects are listed in sequence, and are kicked on or off individually.
    • EHX Knockout - to Stratify or acousticize humbuckers
    • MXR Compressor
    • Fulltone Supa-Trem
    • DOD Stereo Phaser (only used in mono)
    • BBE Mind Bender - main chorus
    • MXR Carbon Copy
    • Boss CE-5 - currently not used; future use will split the signal to a second amp for stereo cleans
    Overdrive Amp Signal Path - OD option chosen with the Loopmaster A/B/C, then fed into the Violetta.
    1. OD Loop A - Effects are listed in sequence and are kicked on or off individually.
      • Crybaby 535Q Wah
      • Ibanez TS9DX - used in TS9 mode to occasionally goose the Tube Driver, or in + mode by itself.
      • Tubeworks Tubedriver
      • A/DA Flanger
    2. OD Loop B - The two effects are in parallel; one or the other is chosen by the Line Selector.
      • Marshall Guv'nor
      • Budda Zenman - Mode depends upon needs: Vintage -> more clarity, Phat -> thicker woodier sound.
    3. OD Loop C - Used by itself for rawness, or sometimes with Loop A or B to give a slightly bigger amp feel.
      • Way Huge Red Llama.
    4. Red Witch Violetta Delay - All OD sounds have the option to utilize this delay.
    Fuzz Amp Signal Path
    Effects are listed in sequence, though neither fuzz is on at the same time; it's one or the other.
    • MJM London Fuzz (Si)
    • Full Custom Barnacle Fuzz - Set to buffered mode to deal with the output of the London.
    • There is no delay in this signal path. Ambiance comes from the amp's reverb.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  12. Dave B

Finally finalized it, @Loop-Master !

I have this going into a channel-switching Mesa Express 5:50, using the Clean mode (set very clean) and Blues mode (set to a light tweedy hair).

Signal Paths - I can get the below signal paths with a single stomp (no tap-dancing!!!) thanks to the L-M.

Amp's Clean Channel
    • It goes through the A/DA Flanger (engaged as needed to provide chorusing).

Amp's Lead Channel
    • Main path: Goes from the Germania (engaged as needed), into the Zenman (always on), and into the PBF (engaged as needed for hollowness and swoosh).
    • Subloop: It goes through the MJM London Si (always on).

This allows me to get an EJ-ish three-amp setup (Clean, OD, Fuzz) with a single channel-switching amp, where each 'amp' has its own dedicated in-line signal path. In my original set-up/write-up in the previous post, I tried to squeeze as many effects as possible onto a much larger board. It was fun conceptually, but it wasn't fun from a wiring standpoint, with some of the routing jacks being way too close together to realistically squeeze some plugs in there. So I pared it down a bit. :D

For Fun
    I put the Clean channel in Crunch mode for a Marshally JCM800 sizzle, take advantage of flipping the L-M's Line Polarity switch, and use the Germania for some notes-exploding-off-the-pick spice.

Loop-Master likes this.