loops and midi switchers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RussT, Jan 29, 2015.

1. RussT

RussT Member

Soo loops (loopers?) and midi

Whats the deal?

Pros and cons of each

Whats the best of each and best if I want to be able to turn on multiple pedals at the same time on a large pedalboard so im not dancing around all the time? Recommend me a good model to start ‘tubin?

Is midi complicated and needs lots of programming?

Can they turn on wah’s at all? So I can hit the switch and a delay and wah activate at the same time for an example and then I can just start using the expression pedal?

Cheers

Oh and PS im not talking about loop pedals for recording and jamming over in case you haven’t figured that out yet

Russ

2. Jaytait

Jaytait Member

I am really interested in hearing this as well

3. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

There are lots of choices for these units. Boss, MusicComLab, Joyo, One Control, Voodoo Lab, Rocktron, and more. There are also several threads on this topic already.

My choice is the Rocktron Midi Mate and Patchmate Floor 8 combination. You can get these two units for $300 used.

Pros on this one for me: You get 10 presets (per bank) on the Midi Mate that will control any combination of the 8 loops of the Patchmate. On the the Patchmate you have instant access control to the 8 loops. So you switch to your preset combination of the 8 loops with the Midi Mate then you can switch any of the 8 loops in or out on the fly with one stomp on the Patchmate. Other units don't allow this, that I know of.

I also have an All Access. If I use this in place of the Midi Mate than I can set the 15 switches on it so that 10 are for presets and the other 5 are for any custom midi control messages I want independent of the presets. I don't need that much control but others might.

The con: it takes up more space on your pedalboard than other solutions.

4. 8len8

8len8 Member

As far as looper pedals do a forum search and you'll find many threads on the subject already. Why reinvent the wheel?

Yes, with programmable loopers you hit one switch to turn on multiple pedals.

MIDI usually does require some programming.

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I use and love the Musicom Labs MkIV. 10 loops, lots of midi options, preset, song, and setlist modes. Love it.

6. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    What are you all playing that you need so many switchable options?

7. 8len8

8len8 Member

I play cover songs where I'll need to go from the amp clean channel with delay to the amp distorted channel with boost. Not something I enjoy doing without a programmable looper. Too much tap dancing otherwise.