Loose LP Selector Switch

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Birddog, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Birddog

Birddog Member

Having been a Strat guy forever, I'm not really up on LP quick fixes. My dilemma is that my new Studio's selector switch has become just a little bit loose. Can this be tightened from the outside, or is there a nut in there that can only be accessed from the back? I know this is probably a simple fix, but it's not very obvious to me...Is there a simple way to tighten the switch up? I tried turning it with my fingers, and it actually rotated the whole unit, so Treble was up and Rhythm was down...eeek.

Advice would be appreciated.

2. rooster

rooster Member

There is a specific tool for that knurled nut that the switchcraft toggles use. There are very high quality units, you don't see them often, that are kind of like a chuck with a handle that you thread down and close the jaws over the nut so as not to mar it. Or, StewMac sells a pretty cheap little plastic tool that, surprisingly, does the job very well. If you try to use pliers, you will possibly damage the finish on the guitar, or at least scrape the plating/knurls on the nut, making it look... poo-like.

rooster.

3. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

But if you don't have that tool just remove the rear cover so that you can grab the switch body and hold it then tighten that knurled not on top by hand as tight as you can.

You can also rotate the switch such that when you're finished tightening that nut as tight as you can by hand...the switch is slightly rotated to the left too much...then try to hold the nut fixed and turn the switch body (because you can get a better grip on the switch body) to get it a bit tighter. That usually gets it tight enough but I still VERY carefully tighten it up (just a little...it doesn't have to be that tight) with pliers.

If you're at a gig or whatever and it comes loose you can switch the switch up or down and hold the bat of the switch to keep it from rotating and tighten the nut by hand...it won't get it very tight but it should be tight enough to get through the gig.

4. reeced

reeced Member

If you use thin rubber gloves you can hold the knob in the correct position and at the same time pulling it upwards to prevent rotation. Then, with the other hand, tighten the knurled nut. You'll find that with rubber loves you can get the nut really tight without any risk of damage to the guitar.

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll give it a shot.

6. Birddog

Birddog Member

That did the trick -- thank you!

7. reeced

reeced Member

I'm pleased - rubber gloves, cotton buds, wooden tooth picks, and wooden clothes pegs(for levering off stiff knobs) are my favourite tools when working on a guitar - no danger of any damage.
    I did use a pliers , once - ouch !!!