Loose output jacks....Loctite?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mrob611, Sep 6, 2018.

1. RicardoUK

RicardoUK Member

Putting the lock washer on the outside would mash up the finish though, right?

2. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Tremolo bars must drive you nuts.

WhiskeyTango likes this.
  3. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

There's one near me. Just trying to enjoy a beer, but they have just the last minute "Rumble" on repeat. Get's old after a couple hours.

smallbutmighty likes this.
  4. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

No jack plate?

5. DGrig

DGrig Member

You are very welcome. I love helping other members and am glad I had an opportunity to help. Have a great weekend.

mrob611 likes this.
  6. 98G2PRU

98G2PRU Member

Be careful with Loctite around your nitro finished guitars. If you get any on the finish it’ll eat through it.

+

mrob611 likes this.
  7. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

This! It's all you need. If you cant fit it on then you need a longer shaft jack. No locktite. :nonoThese parts need to be serviceable.

8. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

In my local hardware store, these parts would add up to $175.

9. jay42

jay42 Member

hmm...so where I worked a long time ago, some of the 6-32 and 8-32 parts came with a dried blob of 242 on them...not a liquid application on the production line. Loctite thread locker doesn't have to be applied 'now'.

mrob611 likes this.
  10. Timtam

Timtam Member

Where do you live ? On the moon ? Lock washers ... maybe 10 cents. Same for spring washers. Blue loctite 10ml around $10.

6mm expansion bolt ... a couple of bucks (instead of $20-$40 for Jack the Gripper, jacktite, etc).

11. mrob611

mrob611 Member

There is a plate on my guitar, so I have some protection before any loctite would reach the finish. I will be ultra careful if and when I do use it though. Thanks!

Adagietto likes this.
  12. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

It takes just half a drop. There shouldn't be enough that it can go anywhere else. Nail polish may be more precise due to the applicator brush, but I haven't tried it.

mrob611 and Baxtercat like this.
  13. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Don't do that you will never be able to get the nut apart again if you use a thread locker. All you need is a lock washer. Just tighten that thing up with a rachet and you should be all set.

mrob611 and zztomato like this.
  14. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

That’s what I was thinking??? There for a second, I thought I may have been doing it wrong for the past 40 years.

mrob611 and Adagietto like this.
  15. TheoDog

TheoDog Member

blue locktite is my first fix on hardware that might come loose. I use one drop onto threads. The only thing risky that I have done is use it to secure pickguard screws on a workhorse tele. It might be worth avoiding on a valuable instrument, but if you need a tool to be reliable, there's no reason to not have someblue locktite in the tool kit.

mrob611 likes this.
  16. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

A tiny drop of blue medium Loctite will come apart easily with a wrench if servicing is ever required. The permanent red is not recommended- it takes heat to get it apart.

As mentioned above- do not get it on the guitar's finish.

Having said that, I've never used Loctite on a jack nut (though my George L's cables are assembled with blue Loctite). A toothed lock washer inside the guitar and tightening with a wrench is all that it required.

lefort_1 likes this.
  17. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Yeah, this [or nail polish] allow loosening of the nut, no problem.

18. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I just use some $1 nail polish. Ez and lessens when I want. Don’t over do it.

19. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Well, doing the job right is all that's necessary. A lock washer is standard, and making sure you tighten -- as in: "make tight" -- sufficiently is all that's needed. There is virtually no twisting force on these parts at all, and when they loosen it's virtually always because they weren't snugged up to begin with. If you're working in a metal housing, Loctite is OK, and the clear fingernail polish (or even a dab of superglue) is OK, but you shouldn't need either one.

20. RBH

RBH Member

All that is needed is a lock washer , a flat washer and an appropriate nut driver. This isn't rocket science - but they use lock washers and flat washers on rockets too, but you need to use an appropriate nut driver - you know - like they use when building on rockets. sheesh !